VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search PM
    You might get lucky sometimes (weak MV signal, etc), but NO (not with a copy-protected tape).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  2. There are a few levels of Macrovision. Some are harder to defeat than others.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by wg_rebel View Post
    Well maybe I asked the incorrect question.. The mcmelectronics product 80-4280 Video Stabilizer; will it allow me to use 1 VCR with the Video Stabilize, then input the the Signal into an DVD Writer; can I copy an VHS Copyright Protected Tape?? ..
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You might get lucky sometimes (weak MV signal, etc), but NO (not with a copy-protected tape).
    In my experience, it should work fine. Along with quite a few other people I know, I've been using similar units I bought 20 years ago for $59.95 that were not nearly as well made as this newer MCM box, and if THEY work, the new one should. The MCM has an adjustable internal pot not featured in the older units: I have heard from some members who were able to copy DVDs by changing that adjustment a hair. DVDs use the even stronger CGMS-A protection, which is WAY worse than VHS protection: if the MCM can defeat CGMS-A, it will work with tapes. Worst-case, it doesn't work with your particular recorder: return it, resell it on eBay for what you paid for it, or just keep it. WG_Rebel is in an even better position than most who ask these questions: he has multiple JVC VCRs with built-in TBC/DNR, which will help compensate for any potential PQ loss thru the MCM. Ironically, the reverse happens with the $200 external TBC everyone is pushing on you: they soften the image while stripping the protection, and then the TBC/DNR in your VCR makes it even mushier. Six of one, half dozen of the other: its good to have options (I have a bunch of the little MCM-type boxes, a couple Sima CGMS-A filters, and the DataVideo TBC1000 because each has its niche). Start with the MCM, and work your way up to the TBC if you aren't satisfied.

Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    @orsetto, I hear what you're saying, but I'd rather do a little "Educating Rita" and raise a consumer's level of appreciation (and expectation) than to spoon feed more "candy" to an impatient kid. Sounds a little elitist, I know, but I guarantee you, the professors that I admired in college were the ones that set the bar HIGH, not the ones who just gave out A's for showing up.

And if this site were to devolve to the point of mainly just doing what you suggest, I'd be out of here.
    With respect, I understand your point as well as LordSmurf. Time and again I have sent people to LS' DigitalFaq site for precise technical info and background material. LS has personally assisted me a couple times over the years, and was gracious enough to ask for my input on a couple minor points. In PMs I have often directed people to posts by others here who are experts in certain issues. And like many here, I've learned a great deal from intersecting approaches and points of view. So no, I certainly don't want this forum to dumb down or "devolve." To suggest such a thing misses my point: that we should gauge a question by the person's stated technical interest and current hardware. Recommending an inexpensive but quite common solution to what most posters consider a minor problem should not be immediately dismissed as "dishonoring the mission of VH," simply because it doesn't pass the sniff test of some pros or others here with extremely high standards. Some people prefer iPods to Krell separates, some prefer a Canon Rebel to a Phase One IQ180, some really enjoy their Toyota Camry despite its constant denigration as a total bore by automotive cognoscenti. Each person has different priorities and interest levels.

So when someone posts a question here from the standpoint of being a DVD/VHS combo owner, expressing little to no interest in making VHS dubs their life work, I honestly feel some of the reflexive replies go far afield. I'm not suggesting we never mention what a first-class solution would be: I agree that is the ideal in this type of forum. But to omit or belittle the simpler "low end" solution, just because we personally may have moved beyond it, is equally limiting. Horses for courses, and all that. The current answer to almost every VHS dubbing question gets immediately diverted to "JVC SVHS with DigiPure + Full TBC + Hauppauge," even if the questioner is a 90 year old grandmother, and heaven help the poor souls who get barraged with AVIsynth scripts when they don't even own a video-capable computer. Neither extreme should be promoted in a vacuum: unless the questioner is clearly coming from a technical background, a balance of possible solutions should be offered.

Not everyone is capable of evaluating, acquiring and troubleshooting a decrepit TBC/DNR vcr. Not everyone has $200-$500 burning a hole in their pocket they can thoughtlessly park in a TBC for awhile. Not everyone has a PC appropriate to run good encoding and editing software, or the necessary board, or the interest/mindset to learn how these all work together. Instead, they have a DVD recorder and a VCR. They've been fine with it for years. Then yesterday, they decided to clean out the basement and make dvds of their old Hollywood VHS collection, perhaps 30-40 tapes. They discover "protection" problems they never encountered before. So they come here, and say "help me hack this issue." Nine times out of ten, they don't even have enough tapes in the game to warrant the MCM box, never mind a DataVideo TBC. The best short-term answer for them is "buy the studio DVD upgrades" or "try the MCM." Its great to suggest much better results are possible and try to 'educate" when the OP seems receptive: I'm just dubious of encouraging an expensive difficult path right off the bat. There's a reason the MCM type filters remain on sale after 30 years: they do still work to clear VHS protection. Within their limited function, they can work quite well and sometimes better than a TBC (I've had VHS protection sneak past the DataVideo and AVT in short bursts, and get around a few old megabuck production TBCs I've tested, while the crummy little 9v boxes I've held together with duct tape continue without a hiccup).

The best-quality power drill in the world can be overkill if all you needed was a screwdriver to unfasten a switchplate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you've seen my post history, you'll know I usually try to do both (education + quickfix). Hopefully, without too much attitude.

I don't think we're that far apart. Still, I'd rather send a consumer to a reputable & knowledgeable xfer/conversion provider than to suggest somebody do it quick and dirty (aka half-assed?). Having transferred hundreds of VHSes for clients, I would say a real TBC in invaluable.

Everybody's different, but heck, these are many people's personal (and sometimes quite fragile and/or antique) memories. I think they ought to be treated with the same care that a Hollywood movie is, if not more so, even if the client/customer doesn't themselves.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yeah, I suppose it always helps when people state their budget/time availability/quality expectations,. The last one can be tricky to gauge, because people don't always know what the range of possibilities are, even when the think they already do. I talk to people on fourms quite often that think their Sony DVD recorder is unbeatable since "it's a Sony!" or people that think their caps look great because "the DVD didn't lose too much color from the original tape". Those folks may come on here satisfied, but it is sort of a shame if they leave with those same misconceptions. Some people come in very task oriented, wanting to overcome a specific problem, where with others you get the sense that they want an overview of the options. I guess it is just important to assess their intentions.
    Last edited by robjv1; 5th Oct 2012 at 19:38.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I discovered a strange thing concerning the MCM black-box a couple of years ago when I decided to copy a few macrovision movies from vhs to dvd using dvd recorders.
    I tried it with my high-end jvc vcrs and I got the dreaded shut down macrovision on the dvd recorders.
    However when I played the tapes on some cheap vcrs with no filters or anything, the dvd recorders didn't mind doing the copying(with the black box between them.
    I don't remember which movies they were at this point but it got me wondering if that is the reason why some say they work while others emphatically say they don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DataVideo TBC.

Tried the "little black boxes", turned everything green.

Tried an Ambico unit and some others - inconsistent.

Finally quit using DVD recorder, went to current setup: AG-1980>>BVP-4 (if needed, most times bypass)>> Hauppauge PVR-250
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...not the case with me using my Pioneer DVR-640H-S. I haven`t hit a tape yet that made the unit stop as it thought it was Macroed (I don`t use the unit to copy protected tapes). Going to start using the Pioneer DVR-650H-K I picked up the other day to start some new projects and go back and redo some old ones done on earlier model equipment without all the video adjustments I can make in the Pioneers. Will keep me busy during the coming winter methinks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia
    these are many people's personal (and sometimes quite fragile and/or antique) memories. I think they ought to be treated with the same care that a Hollywood movie is, if not more so, even if the client/customer doesn't themselves.
    Exactly.

There's also reputations to consider.
    - I refuse to tell somebody how to do a half-assed job.
    - I even refuse to take on half-assed low-budget (unrealistic budget) projects.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have not posted here for while as have finished my vhs to dvd project but here goes.

Pal jvc vcr's with tbc/dnr Pal panasonic vcr's with / without tbc/dnr Jvc dvd recorders m100 models with the filters often spoken of

I had great luck with the PAL Panasonic VCR FS 200, nice solid tracking and mild dnr.
    Also tried Panasonic combos both PAL/NTSC and they were very good on good sources.

Other DVD recorders tried unsuccesfully were Toshiba and Sony, but the Pioneer multi system were great.

The few ntsc vhs's i had were sadly all in slp mode and very difficult to improve.

Tbc models avt8710/datavideo tbc1000.

I tried to master computer capture with happauge capture cards, could never "get on" with pc capture and probably didn;t have patience.

The vast majority of my vhs's were recordings from tv in the uk and were very good quality in the first place. My findings were as follows:-

The datavideo tbc did very little/sold early in the project.
    The avt 8710 was very useful, particularly the adjustments, albeit subtle.
    The choice of vcr was nearly always the jvc but for a few the Panasonic was best, why i do not know.

The jvc dvd recorders were excellent always and lasted until project ended and were sold.

Quality is so subjective, the vast majority of users are happy with what the "experts" deem crap, i spent thousands of dollars on my project as this is a lifetimes collection.

I am sure my results could have been improved by using avi synth etc , and computer filters but i have a working life and personal life as well and did not want to spend the time learning.
    Last edited by victoriabears; 8th Oct 2012 at 22:12.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    JVC DVD RECORDERS M100 MODELS WITH THE FILTERS OFTEN SPOKEN OFF
    What do you mean with this exactly?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by robjv1 View Post
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post
    JVC DVD RECORDERS M100 MODELS WITH THE FILTERS OFTEN SPOKEN OFF
    What do you mean with this exactly?
    He uses JVC DR-M100 DVD recorders -- because of "the filters often spoken of".
    "spoken of" = written about, from various users including myself

Amazing how one extra letter (typo) can make it hard to decipher.

vb's CAPS LOCK is also stuck, it seems.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  13. sorry, now corrected, yes the English language is amazing, used correctly !

Oh and I like CAPS, makes it easier to read, we aint writing bleeding Shakespeare here are we !
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ahhh! Okay, I gotcha. I read that totally wrong haha. I thought maybe you were saying JVC DR-M100 filters broken off, and I was curious how that would have happened haha.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by victoriabears View Post

Oh and I like CAPS, makes it easier to read, we aint writing bleeding Shakespeare here are we !
    You are a party of one on that one.

If everybody used caps, it would lose its effectiveness. And putting your entire post in caps makes you look like you're a computer illiterate who doesn't know any better. If you want to be taken seriously, and I think you do, I advise you to reconsider this and to think about how others perceive such posts rather than thinking about how you wish them to be perceived.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not only that, but studies have shown that Mixed Case (when appropriate) is easier/faster to read.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Okay Okay, never say I do not listen, duly edited.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    Quote Quote