VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i use Adobe Encore 5.1 for my dvd in pal 720x576 but the menu image and video Quality is very poor why?
    Quote Quote  
  2. In what way is the quality poor ? Can you be more specific ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. the picture of menu is blur some end the video,Do you need a instal some codecs?
    Quote Quote  
  4. We need to know more about your source file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. How are you watching it? What software player or hardware setup ?

The menu is blurry or the main video is blurry? or both ?

Maybe you are blend deinterlacing it during playback?
    Quote Quote  
  6. both video and menu is blurry
    Quote Quote  
  7. i working with avid media composer my project is 1080p 25 export qt reference>some as source1920x1080>import qt ref in encore make the authoring in SD 720x576 and then transcode automatically from encore to make the final dvd
    Last edited by avid; 2nd Oct 2012 at 12:21.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well SD is going to look bad compared to HD . Consider making a blu-ray instead

But is it blurry for SD DVD ?

Was this a 50i project or 25p project ?

Again, what bitrate ?

Again, how are you playing it back? on a DVD player, software ? (if you have a blend deinterlace, it will be extra blurry - this doesn't mean the DVD is that bad, just the player is making it blurry)
    Quote Quote  
  9. 25p project,i convert the qt ref to m2v 720x576 with varius encoders as TMpgenc, procoder,adobe media encoder with vbr 2 pass 7000 max 8000 but the some problem
    Quote Quote  
  10. I suspect it's normal . Are you comparing it to HD ? SD DVD is going to be "blurry" compared to HD

Are you watching it upscaled on a HDTV ? or in a SD frame size ?

Can you post a sample that illustrates the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. poisondeathray Did you mean this

hd2sd - High Quality Scaling From HD to SD

http://bellunevideo.com/tutdetail.php?tutid=12
    Last edited by avid; 2nd Oct 2012 at 13:04.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Encore will use a relatively softer resizer when scaling HD => SD. You can use another application (maybe avisynth, vdub) to get sharper scaling algorithm, something like lanczos3 (or maybe Avid MC offers one, not sure) . Or add a small amount of sharpen after resizing, before encoding
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by avid View Post

You can use that script, but it's more of an issue with interlaced scaling for Adobe (as well as other NLE's). Progressive scaling isn't that problematic and even a straight lanczos3 or spline36 resize will give good results

The benefit of using that script is that it also does the proper Rec709 => Rec601 conversion for SD material (colors will look slightly off on a DVD player if it's not done properly)
    Quote Quote  
  14. how to with lanczos3 or spline36 resize
    Quote Quote  
  15. You can do it through avisynth or vdub for example, or just use the HD2SD script. There are switches to get sharper results and you can adjust the settings. Avisynth won't work with a quicktime reference file (you need an actual video exported) . Or just apply some mild sharpening after. Eitherway it will look crappy compared to the HD version
    Quote Quote  
  16. poisondeathray thanks for your time
    Quote Quote