VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I'm new here but I'm using this site as a guest for about 10 years now. Now I have returned as a user with a problem, I haven't found a solution for, yet.

I've tried a few things but the last was to extract the audio track with VIRTUALDUB. I used "Full Processing Mode" and now I have a 648 MB mp3-file extracted from a 203 MB mp4-file. I would like to add this file to a 608 MB avi-file.

My sources:

These are the MP4 and the AVI-file. I need the audio file from the MP4-video for the larger AVI-video.

Is there a way to be shure they are in sync or do I have to this after I merged them?

If you need any additional information, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MP4.jpg
Views:	2149
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	14086  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVI.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	14087  

Name:	AVI.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	14088  

Name:	MP4.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	167.1 KB
ID:	14089  

Last edited by abrafax; 1st Oct 2012 at 14:03. Reason: Edited pictures.
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can use avimux-gui to replace the audio streams

or vdub:
    audio => audio from other file
    video => direct stream copy

I used "Full Processing Mode" and now I have a 648 MB mp3-file extracted from a 203 MB mp4-file.
    Notice it's a lot larger - It's probably uncompressed wav then, not mp3, not AAC like the original.

If you wanted to re-encode it as MP3, use audio compression and lame in vdub, or another audio converter

They won't be in sync because the duration is differnt 1:04:22 vs. 1:04:16 . You might have to manually sync it or shift it, or even stretch it in an audio editor . These are different cuts of the movie - notice the framecount is different 96,382 vs. 96,545 (maybe one has some intro or ending credits cut off for example)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks a lot for this fast and efficient help. It's very easy, when you know what to do. I've used VirtualDub and it's done. You were right, it is out of sync. The avi file had a few additional frames at the beginning. Another thing I noticed is that the new avi-file is much bigger now. Is this normal?

But more important for me: Which is the easiest way to sync the audio with the video? Should I use Audacity or another software?

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by abrafax View Post
    Thanks a lot for this fast and efficient help. It's very easy, when you know what to do. I've used VirtualDub and it's done. You were right, it is out of sync. The avi file had a few additional frames at the beginning. Another thing I noticed is that the new avi-file is much bigger now. Is this normal?
    how much bigger? is it 648 + 608MB ? or is it a lot bigger? Did you select video=>direct stream copy? If not you will get uncompressed video (very large)

But more important for me: Which is the easiest way to sync the audio with the video? Should I use Audacity or another software?
    I dont know, for me it's easier to use a real editor like vegas, premiere - where you have timelines and can see which frame need to be cut

If it's ONLY extra frames in the beginning, you can mark the cuts with vdub , but do this BEFORE adding the new audio (maybe open 2 instances of vdub and swap back and forth to see where to make the cuts) . If there are other issues (maybe extra scenes, extra frames elsewhere), it will be harder to do
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Concerning the size. I made a mistake, the original was of 699 MB, 608 is the width of the video. Now it is 1,17 GB. I have used "direct stream copy" as you told me. Would be nice if we could solve it but this is not so important.

I will try to use VirtualDub, vegas is much too expensive for me. If it similar to the use of Subtitle Workshop I should manage. As far as I've seen it there are only a few additional frames at the beginning of the avi. I have to see though if there aren't any at the end to. But it should be the same procedure I guess. Is there a way to see the number of frames left while processing?

EDIT: At the end the audio file is longer. I probably have to delete the end with Audacity. Is there an easy way of finding out how much I have to cut off?

Thanks.
    Last edited by abrafax; 1st Oct 2012 at 14:43.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I already explained above, it's most likely a wav file , not mp3 . When you use full processing mode, but no compression, it will be uncompressed wav . Use mediainfo if you want to confirm it

Use audio compression to convert it to mp3, so the audio size will be smaller (e.g lamemp3)

I used "Full Processing Mode" and now I have a 648 MB mp3-file extracted from a 203 MB mp4-file.
    Is there a way to see the number of frames left while processing?
    The vdub timeline should show how many frames left on the right side at the end. Or file=>file information. e.g. if you have 1000 frame video (frames 0-999), but cut the 1st 100 off, it should say 899 at the end (because it starts numbering at zero, not 1)
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Oct 2012 at 14:42.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I already explained above, it's most likely a wav file , not mp3 . When you use full processing mode, but no compression, it will be uncompressed wav . Use mediainfo if you want to confirm it
    I think there is a missunderstanding. I've told you that I have done it, but I didn't use this huge audio file.

When choosing "Audio from another file" from the Audio menu, I chose an AVI conversion of the MP4-video I had done in one of the previous tries. Both of these have the German audio file I need, the one I want to use it instead of the original Russian audio.

In the following I refered to the audio I want to keep. It is not a separate audio file but the audio file from the video I want to use it from, the one in German. I only hope it's not too confusing.

EDIT: At the end the audio file is longer. I probably have to delete the end with Audacity. Is there an easy way of finding out how much I have to cut off?
    I've done it again anyhow and now the size is ok. I think I hadn't chosen "Direct stream copy" from the "Audio"-menu. So this is solved perfectly. Thanks a lot for your patience.

If you could help me with cutting off some of the audio file it would be perfect.

Thanks again and sorry for the missunderstanding.
    Last edited by abrafax; 1st Oct 2012 at 15:27.
    Quote Quote  
  8. So use something like lamexp to change the aac audio to mp3 . After than use that new mp3 to add to your video

If you know what to cut, then you can use audacity too. I can't do it from here

You can use mediainfo to see the duration of the audio and then cut the difference. e.g. if one was 1 hour, 2 seconds, the other was 1hour 1 sec, cut 1 second off the end . This assumes that the scenes are the same between the video and the beginning is matched up already. If not, it will never be in sync without more editing

Another way would be to see how the waveforms match up in audacity then try to match them or cut them

All this is a lot easier in a video editor IMO

Good luck
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 1st Oct 2012 at 15:30.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you're certain that ONLY the beginning and end are different (but the middle is the same) , then you can do the cuts in vdub (mark in/mark out, hit delete - do this for the beginning and end sections) . Use the 2 vdub instances to check to see they match. The frames should be the same once you're done. If they are not, then you have different edition of the movie (frames don't match and it will be very difficult to do without an editor) . Then export the cut audio (file=>save wave), the encode that as mp3 e.g. lame xp. and join it with the video (avimux-gui or vdub as before)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again. You were of huge help to me. I think I can manage from here. Probably I will give Vegas a try because I see it's a trial version. Should be ok for what I need.

Please read my last post, too. I edited it a few times, explaining a few things.

Greetings to Canada.
    Quote Quote