VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

My complete question is: why doesn't Handbrake trim a movie when I set the "--start-at" and "--stop-at" parameters in the "query editor" tab?

These parameters are described here: https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CLIGuide

and a solution to some people who had my same problem is here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1289028

But it doesn't work for me! Handbrake converts the whole movie even when I set those parameters with the suggested syntax.

Why?

Any help will be very appreciated, thank you very much in advance.

P.S.: This is the process: I set the output file format in the Picture, Video, Audio, etc. tabs, then open the "query editor" tab and click "generate query". At this point I add, for example, "--start-at duration:150 --stop-at duration:300" at the end of the query (but I tried adding in several points of it, too). Then I click the green "Start" button and get the dialogue box that alerts me that the query is different from the interface setting, but I choose NOT to regenerate the query, to avoid losing the two parameters I inserted manually. The conversion starts, but it encodes the whole file, not the part that I specified. I tried using "--start-at frame:2000 --stop-at frame:5000" too, but the result is the same.
    Last edited by falco2000; 26th Mar 2013 at 16:52.
    Falco2000, video newbie.
    Let's everyone help each other.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you must run the handbrakecli.exe with that command/script?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by falco2000 View Post
    My complete question is: why Handbrake doesn't trim a movie when I set the "--start-at" and "--stop-at" parameters...
    Hi
    I've tested these parameters with HandBrakeCLI.

Code:
    HandBrakeCLI -i foo -o "stuff1.m4v" --start-at duration:10 --preset="High Profile"
    Starts 10 seconds into the video and transcodes all the rest of the video.

Code:
    HandBrakeCLI -i foo -o "stuff2.m4v" --stop-at duration:10 --preset="High Profile"
    Starts at the beginning and transcodes the first 10 seconds of the video only.

Code:
    HandBrakeCLI -i foo -o "stuff3.m4v" --start-at duration:10 --stop-at duration:10 --preset="High Profile"
    Starts 10 seconds into the video and transcodes the next 10 seconds of the video only.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by bat999 View Post
    Originally Posted by falco2000 View Post
    My complete question is: why Handbrake doesn't trim a movie when I set the "--start-at" and "--stop-at" parameters...
    I've tested these parameters with HandBrakeCLI. [...]
    Thank you so much, they work.
    Actually Handbrake GUI ignores the custom query. Hope the programmers will fix this.

But I found a method to trim a movie using the Handbrake GUI. I only have to select "seconds" or "frames" in the second (from the left) drop-down menu in the "Source" area in the top part of Handbrake window, instead of the "chapters" value. Specifying time values make Handbrake trim the movie!

Thank you very much for all your help!
    Falco2000, video newbie.
    Let's everyone help each other.
    Quote Quote