VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was wondering if there are deinterlacers better than YADIF for watching DVDs, anime in particular? I've got a Q8400 at 2.66ghz for my CPU and an HD6850 for my GPU; I'm using K-Lite and MPC-HC.
    Quote Quote  
  2. 1) Most animation from DVD will be telecined, not interlaced

2) If in the rare case it was really interlaced, there are better deinterlacers but most of them are CPU heavy, you might not get realtime playback unless you have a faster setup (e.g. you might try QTGMC on one of the faster presets)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    1) Most animation from DVD will be telecined, not interlaced

2) If in the rare case it was really interlaced, there are better deinterlacers but most of them are CPU heavy, you might not get realtime playback unless you have a faster setup (e.g. you might try QTGMC on one of the faster presets)
    My older DVDs are a mix. How would I go about setting up QTGMC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm not exactly sure how you would set it up for watching a DVD directly (I'm assuming from disc)

If you enabled ffdshow, it has avisynth box, you could probably use QTGMC there . Or if you wrote an avs script , you could play the .avs back directly . Both these would probably require it to be ripped to HDD first

DVD playback software will IVTC on the fly e.g. powerdvd, windvd
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how you would set it up for watching a DVD directly (I'm assuming from disc)

If you enabled ffdshow, it has avisynth box, you could probably use QTGMC there . Or if you wrote an avs script , you could play the .avs back directly . Both these would probably require it to be ripped to HDD first

DVD playback software will IVTC on the fly e.g. powerdvd, windvd
    Alright, thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Dredging this up from the abyss now that I have a new PC, which I hope is sufficient for one of the better DI methods:
    i5 4670k
    GTX 780

The script would look something like this?
    SetMemoryMax(512)
    SetMTMode(3)
    SetMTMode(2)
    YourSource("yourfile") -ffVideoSource?
    QTGMC( Preset="Medium" )
    SelectEven()
    SetMTMode(1)
    GetMTMode(false) > 0 ? distributor() : last
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is about all you need:

Code:
    SetMtMode(2)
    WhateverSource()
    QTGMC(preset="medium")
    SelectEven()
    Quote Quote  
  8. What would I need to set the source to for DVD playback?
    ffVideoSource() Leaving the parenthesis empty?

Also, is there a noticeable quality difference between slow, medium, and fast or faster?
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 28th Aug 2013 at 12:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    You need to specify the source file. You can't leave the function empty. And ffVideoSource would only give you the video, no audio.

A commercial DVD is likely to be encrypted. So you would need to decrypt it first or use a decrypter that works in the background. There are probably several VOB files that you have to concatenate. And QTGMC may not be appropriate for the DVD. You need to analyze the video and handle it accordingly.

Code:
    SetMtMode(2)
    v1=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB")
    v2=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB")
    v3=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB")
    QTGMC(v1+v2+v3)
    SelecteEven()
    But I don't think that will work because FFMmpegSource2() needs to create an index file, and it creates that file in the same place as the source, the DVD in this case. Further, AviSynth isn't meant to work as a DVD player. Using it like this may not work well because it will not have proper readahead buffering for DVD playback. And you might as well leave out the SelectEven() and play at 60 fps (or 50 fps for PAL) for smoother motion.
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Aug 2013 at 12:52.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    You need to specify the source file. You can't leave the function empty. And ffVideoSource would only give you the video, no audio.

A commercial DVD is likely to be encrypted. So you would need to decrypt it first or use a decrypter that works in the background. There are probably several VOB files that you have to concatenate. And QTGMC may not be appropriate for the DVD. You need to analyze the video and handle it accordingly.

Code:
    SetMtMode(2)
    v1=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_1.VOB")
    v2=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_2.VOB")
    v3=FFmpegSource2("D:\VIDEO_TS\VTS_01_3.VOB")
    QTGMC(v1+v2+v3)
    SelecteEven()
    But I don't think that will work because FFMmpegSource2() needs to create an index file, and it creates that file in the same place as the source, the DVD in this case. Further, AviSynth isn't meant to work as a DVD player. Using it like this may not work well because it will not have proper readahead buffering for DVD playback. And you might as well leave out the SelectEven() and play at 60 fps (or 50 fps for PAL) for smoother motion.
    I have decryption software running whenever the PC is on. From the sound of it, I should just stick to YADIF for DVDs and not worry about this.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    From the sound of it, I should just stick to YADIF for DVDs and not worry about this.
    No, from the sound of it you should have taken pdr's suggestion from nearly a year ago and not deinterlaced at all. IVTC'd, maybe, but not deinterlaced. If you provide a short sample of something you're thinking of deinterlacing better advice can be offered.

My older DVDs are a mix.
    I doubt it. There's an off chance some are field-blended, but the vast majority will be either soft or hard telecined, or a mix of the two.
    Last edited by manono; 28th Aug 2013 at 15:21.
    Quote Quote  
  12. ..
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 29th Aug 2013 at 22:44.
    Quote Quote