VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm trying to back up entire seasons of some of my favourite shows on to a blu ray disc. I've tried using Sony's Architect Pro and TMPGenc Authoring Works 4. For some reason whenever I add the source files which in most cases are no bigger than a few hundred megs, they end up taking a couple of gigs on the blu ray. I don't care if the files turn out looking like dvd quality, I just want to get a good number of videos on a single disc, which was the whole reason I bought a blu ray burner.

Can anyone help me with this? Is there some setting I can change that will allow me to get more videos on a blu ray and go no lower than say dvd quality?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-ray videos must be at certain specs to be authored. The same is true of DVD.
    Random files must be re-encoded to the proper specs.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. What format were your source files ?

One option would be to burn it as a "data disc", but only your computer could play it with any certainty

But some blu-ray players have support for other formats other than blu-ray authored discs
    Quote Quote  
  4. They are AVI files, I wanna be able to view them on my blu ray player so I can't burn them as data.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    According to its specs. TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4 re-encodes imported video to Blu-Ray compliant MPEG-2. If your source videos are in a more compressed video format, such as DivX, Xvid or h.264, they will be larger when re-encoded as MPEG-2. I couldn't find the tech specs for Sony DVD Architect Pro, but its possible that it does the same thing.

TMPGEnc Authoring Works 5 supports MPEG-4 AVC encoding as well as MPEG-2. You could download the free trial and experiment with it to find out if it can author Blu-Rays with more episodes per disc.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by durden View Post
    They are AVI files, I wanna be able to view them on my blu ray player so I can't burn them as data.
    What kind of "AVI" ? Use mediainfo if you don't know

Like xvid/AVI backups of DVD's ?

Many newer blu-ray players can play xvid/AVI as a data disc. Also other formats like mkv (h.264 compression) . If yours is like this, there will be no increase in filesize, no loss in quality if you use a data disc

If your model is older or doesn't support those features, you won't be able to fit as much (they will be re-encoded to a larger filesize and lower quality to make them compatible)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Which Blu-Ray player are you using? Some can indeed view AVI videos from a data disc or USB drive, as poisondeathray mentioned.

Another option might be MultiAVCHD, but I've never tried to fit a large number of videos on a single disc.

(Edit: and PDR himself beats me to restating it by a few seconds... )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  8. My player is an old samsung. I had no idea that blu ray burning would be this complicated. When I started making my own dvd's a few years back with convertXtodvd I could fit entire seasons of a show on one disc no problem. So I figure a disc with over 5x the storage should get more bang for my buck. But it's about the same.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Originally Posted by durden View Post
    They are AVI files, I wanna be able to view them on my blu ray player so I can't burn them as data.
    What kind of "AVI" ? Use mediainfo if you don't know

Like xvid/AVI backups of DVD's ?

Many newer blu-ray players can play xvid/AVI as a data disc. Also other formats like mkv (h.264 compression) . If yours is like this, there will be no increase in filesize, no loss in quality if you use a data disc

If your model is older or doesn't support those features, you won't be able to fit as much (they will be re-encoded to a larger filesize and lower quality to make them compatible)
    Mediainfo says the files are MPEG-4/Xvid
    Quote Quote  
  10. "I had no idea that blu ray burning would be this complicated."

That's why a lot of us are using media players that accept a hard drive. Lots easier than trying to author a blue ray disk. But I keep trying anyway.
    Quote Quote