VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all, I am looking for suggestions for the best free software for making CD and DVD case labels. It needs to be Windows 7 compatible. I looked throughout this forum but could not seem to find a section devoted to this, just the media and light-scribe info. thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I use UnderCoverXP and MultiCoverPrint but doubt they are 7 compatible....you never know though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Or you could just use Google search and came up with this http://www.freewarefiles.com/category_6_216.html chose one
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey, hech54, I am on the Undercover XP site, http://www.undercoverxp.tk/ and it does say it is compatible with Win 7, Vista and XP. BUT, it says you can't add any text. Is this true??? Like, i usually cut/paste track listings from the web for the back cover and stuff. Will it let you add words and stuff? Let me know dude!!! thx
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I use UnderCoverXP and MultiCoverPrint but doubt they are 7 compatible....you never know though.
    I use Undercover XP on Windows 7 machines without any issues
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, COOL!!
    Can you add your own text with this program? Like can you copy track listings and paste it into the program ? thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    UnderCoverXP works just fine with Windows 7 on both 32 and 64 platforms. I use it for all my covers on two different computers. One is 32 bit and the other 64 bit.
    If it feels good, do it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you add your own text with this program? Like can you copy track listings and paste it into the program ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's been a while since I even opened either of these programs....but UnderCoverXP only prints. It doesn't create.
    Same with MultiCoverPrint....it only prints.
    I forgot that I used these AFTER I created covers in Photoshop or Image Composer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    And it's only $600....but it does come with a free 1 year learning curve.

Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL, ok guys ,thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I have a template I use. I place that white jpeg template in Microsoft Image Composer (or Photoshop if I'm feeling brave) and paste my pictures/text over top of that template.....then save that as bitmap or jpeg....then print with one of the two softwares I mentioned earlier.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Best one is Photoshop/Illustrator templates, but you're right, it's not free. Me, since I already use it for so much else, I don't have to pay anything more for another app.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Try downloading Expressit EZ label express. Found here.

It will allow you to type in or copy/paste text to your label. It allows you to either use "backgrounds" to select an image stretched to the size of the label or "image" to bring one or more images into the label which can be positioned and resized as you want. It may be just enough to do what you need.

More than enough to do a nice job if you already have some background graphics to use. It comes with some graphics to start with, but I imagine you will prefer to use your own images. You will want to print your first project on plain paper and compare it to the size of the cases you are using. There are calibration marks around the edge of the template in the program and it may take a couple tries to adjust your image size to fit your case. Keep track of the proper size using those marks.
    Last edited by DaredevilMouse; 5th Oct 2012 at 00:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Photoshop.
    Photoshop Elements is only about $60.

Tip: The boxed version from Amazon.com is cheaper than the download from Adobe.com. Go figure!
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=photo...ch-alias%3Daps
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  18. Two more free label creators that can be useful are Memorex exPressit. and Nero cover designer. Having seen the type of label you are creating, it may be easier to use exPressit and right click on the design area, click borders, then choose one of the line styles to create your cut line border. It also has abilities like importing playlists that may be useful.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I know this is a little late, but I came across this thread while searching for something else. Try SureThing CD Labeler (makes DVD labels too). They recently released a new version. It's not very expensive and works with adhesive labels, LightScribe and lots of others. Whenever I create a music CD I like to use LightScribe. SureThing will automatically download the song titles and put them into a list. There's also a free trial. I've been using it for years and haven't needed anything else . . .
    Quote Quote  
  20. Has anyone actually managed to print a CD disc label, using Nero CoverDesigner version 12? Despite the correct paper stock selection, the labels always print on the left side of the page, even if using User Defined settings.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Plain wicked.
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Photoshop.
    Photoshop Elements is only about $60.

Tip: The boxed version from Amazon.com is cheaper than the download from Adobe.com. Go figure!
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?_encoding=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&field-keywords=photo...ch-alias%3Daps
    Nonetheless, it's still a one year learning curve.

@OP: try this. It's not free (it's $20ish if I'm not mistaken) but worth every penny.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One year? Only if you look at it for only 5 minutes a day. Change that to 3 days for decent newbie skills, 1 week for decent intermediate skills, 2 weeks for decent "journeyman" skills, mastering? well that takes a while...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wrong thread. Oops
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th Sep 2014 at 13:06.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I went back to using a black felt-tipped pen and a ruler. The kit is very fast, never locks up and requires no new learning. Ha! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Nero.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Djard View Post
    I went back to using a black felt-tipped pen and a ruler. The kit is very fast, never locks up and requires no new learning. Ha! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Nero.
    Ha! Today, I have an even better, quicker and more cost-effective solution still - I use ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

Ok, maybe a digital version. But seriously, using ISOs, and the bigger HDDs of today, or better support for compression formats, I have noticed a steep decline in my desire to burn CDs or DvDs (music, video, data, or otherwise), let alone design a cover for them. I've noticed this pattern with me for well over the last 5 or more years, well before this thread was posted.

But, just for the sake of thread relevance - I've always used PhotoShop, and even PowerPoint (really) with ready-to-go templates in the past. Yes, they've been print-tested for accuracy after a bit of trial-and-error with the dimensions, and now it's just copy and paste. Still use them for digital versions even now.

As for free software, once you have a tested template, just use Paint (that is IF modern Windows supports it...). I see no need for specialty software for this.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 13th Mar 2015 at 20:05.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Yes! Excellent idea. But I would only create a label for a special project, hoping I'd get the label glued perfect center, so as not to cause wobble and shorten the life of my optical drive. Doing nothing is even better: no need to be concerned about writing the title legibly, no need for a paper sleeve, and no degradation of video quality. Now what am I going to do with my 300+ DVDs? I read somewhere that their shelf life is only 5 years; but once burned, they are good for 50 years. True?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes! Excellent idea. But I would only create a label for a special project, hoping I'd get the label glued perfect center, so as not to cause wobble and shorten the life of my optical drive. Doing nothing is even better: no need to be concerned about writing the title legibly, no need for a paper sleeve, and no degradation of video quality.
    All that authoring, and labeling, and compressing with a fit-it-on-a-disc mentality was way too much work for what was, in many cases, a bad production "because it fit" or those color printers of yesteryear were terrible (and remember when those labels would run off? - Ughhh).

And now, speaking of using compression, I use quality based encoding and size is what it is and I don't care - it goes onto the hard drive as-is. Then, if I feel like it, I can create a digital label in a viewer folder, or whatever. Praise to digital-wares, and praise to bigger HDDs today, which made a world of difference.

Even for a special project, for someone else I do work for (family, friend or client) if I create a digital label, I email it to them telling THEM to print it whenever they need it.

Besides, it just dawned on me that my color printer has been collecting dust for years now - I have to check for fungus.

Now what am I going to do with my 300+ DVDs? I read somewhere that their shelf life is only 5 years; but once burned, they are good for 50 years. True?
    I heard that burned DvDs have a short shelf life, but pressed DvDs, like commercial ones, are the ones that will last much longer. Not sure of the exact numbers. And not sure of the sitting empties either.

I don't think any of my older burns have died of old age in the last decade plus now though. They're backed up on HDDs now, but maybe I'll run through a couple of them and see...

Again, check for fungus here too.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Lifespan varies with the quality of the media.

The only discs that I've had fail so far, were Memorex. And I only used those as they were one of the first brands to offer DL media in local stores. That was my first and only spindle of Memorex discs.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote