VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi.
    I've just purchased Xilisoft dvd ripper software but I think there is a slight problem with the software.
    Once each chapter is ripped to HD-MKV ,the video tends to jump every 2 seconds. Its not that recognisable but I do slightly notice it.
    Please help.
    Richard Steed
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Ripper = anydvdhd.
    Converter/Shrinker= ripbot264.
    Quote Quote  
  3. How much better is this Any dvd hd thing than Xilisoft?
    Was I right in there being glitches in the video that xilisoft creates?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Ripping means transferring data from the disc to the hard drive. There should be no issues in playback from this process, and the movie will still be in blu ray (or dvd) format. AnyDVD HD is used to break encryption and put the movie on the hard drive so you can work with it.

Making them into mkv files means either shifting the container format without re-encoding, and thus making roughly the same sized files as the original movie itself, or converting/compressing the video as well as putting it into an mkv file. If you are just putting them in this format without re-encoding, there should be no problems in playback...this is the sort of thing the free tool MakeMKV does. If you are re-encoding them, you are using the wrong tool.

Use VidCoder, Handbrake, BD Rebuilder (in alternate output mode) or Ripbot264 to convert your blu ray or dvd to mkv if you are trying to make smaller sized files.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 22nd Sep 2012 at 17:14.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes i know, but does this anydvd software work better than xilisoft's ripper?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    The problem you are experiencing is probably not due to the ripping process, but rather to the conversion into an mkv file.

AnyDVD HD is probably the most advanced blu ray decryption/ripping program available. But even they run into an issue now and again as new protection schemes are released. That is why it is updated constantly.

AnyDVD HD will not convert to mkv for you, by the way. It is a decrypter and ripping program only.
    Quote Quote  
  7. But you just said it rips Blu rays and dvd's so why cant it convert to MKV?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ripping and converting are different processes, as has been mentioned several times in this thread. Since your "swiss army knife" is not doing the job for you, folks are suggesting you use a hammer then a screwdiver.
    Last edited by smrpix; 22nd Sep 2012 at 16:48.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Ok then.
    But I am using a ripper. And its ripping into an MKV.
    How do i avoid the slightly jittery effect in the video?
    Is it becasue this xilisoft ripper isnt the best ripper software?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thank you smrpix.

@R.STEED There is obviously some miscommunication going on here. Get it out of your head that ripping means anything other than decrypting the movie and putting it on the hard drive in its original format. I don't care that the crapoware Chinese companies misuse the term in the names of their products.

The process for doing this is to rip to the hard drive, then convert to mkv.

It is possible to decrypt the movie with AnyDVD HD, then work with one of the programs I recommended straight from the disc in your optical drive, but this is slow and causes a lot of wear and tear on your blu ray/dvd drive. Rip then convert. It is also slightly preferable to rip to one hard drive and use a second physical hard drive as your target for encoding.
    Last edited by Kerry56; 22nd Sep 2012 at 17:12.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    And to answer your last question. Yes. Your problem is almost certainly the quality, or lack thereof, found in the output from your current software.

The free programs we've recommended, using the X264 encoder, will produce superior results.

Of course, AnyDVD HD isn't free, but it isn't a conversion program.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm actually using a dvd ripper not blu ray at the moment.
    Do you think its my profile settings that may be causing this Jitter?
    Does xilisoft support this X264 encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    I think its the program's inadequacies to be honest. There are any number of dvd decrypters available, so you shouldn't feel tied to this one. DVDFab HD Decrypter is free to use, as is MakeMKV, though MakeMKV will output dvds as uncompressed mkv files. You could use them as input into any of the conversion programs listed if you wanted.

And no, xilisoft does not support X264.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Why do i always have the knack to waste my money all the time? I spend 50 pound on this xilisoft thing.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Ah **** it. I'm going to have to make do with the xilisoft dvd ripper i have. I aint ******* around with all these different programs you've recommended. If most software of this type that you buy on the web is really this inadequate then **** it,I cant be arsed.
    I'll just have to make do with what i've got.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Bliss.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Feel better now? You wasted your money, unfortunately. Time to forget about it, it's done.

The advice you got was good, and the members who posted did you the courtesy of telling you the plain truth. I would just add that you can use the free DVDFabHDDecrypter to rip. (It's not updated as soon as the pay version, though.) And BDRB for the conversion; or some of the other suggestions you got.

Good luck.

[EDIT] Oh, Kerry beat me to that one (FabHDDecypter). Also, I keep forgetting about MakeMKV. Both are free (MakeMKV while still in beta, which it has been for ages now, it seems).
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Ok. Thanks for the advice.
    Actually, I will get round to buying anydvd hd next year when i get the money. That MakeMKV sounds great.
    Did you say it uses this x264 encoder?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by R.STEED View Post
    Ok. Thanks for the advice.
    Actually, I will get round to buying anydvd hd next year when i get the money. That MakeMKV sounds great.
    Did you say it uses this x264 encoder?
    No, as I stated in my first reply in this thread, there are two different ways of making mkv files from your dvd sources. The way MakeMKV does it, it simply takes the audio and video streams out of the vob files in your dvd video and puts them into an mkv container. It doesn't compress, nor does it change the audio and video codecs that are used.

When using one of the programs that will re-encode the dvds using X264, you can create smaller sized files and still have excellent quality video. The original dvd-video uses mpeg2. One of these conversion programs, like Ripbot264 or Handbrake, will convert the video to the H264 video codec. The audio can also be changed, or simply passed through, depending on what you want to do.

One advantage that MakeMKV has is that it is a decryption program. It can decrypt both dvds and blu ray, though it might not be updated as quickly as AnyDVD HD. And it is one of the few free decrypters still available.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'm definitely starting to understand now.
    So when we talk about en-coding to smaller excellent quality files and not decryption, what is the diifference between H264 and x264?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Same thing for your purposes. H264 is the codec, X264 is the very popular open-source encoder. High quality and free.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you get back in touch with xilisoft and say the software doesn't meet your needs and ask for a refund on the grounds of failed conversion, so not fit for purpose

Was the disc you tried an NTSC to PAL. Some software assume you are converting everything to PAL, so you may get the stutter as NTSC is slower than PAL so the software 'thinks' it knows best so speeds up the final result. You need to find a setting that keeps the source framerate the same and just works on squeezing the size.

Also, just to clear things up are you ripping a DVD/Blu-Ray or wanting to converting it to an MKV

Personally, the 'faster' a software processes a source video to an MKV file and bangs on about making a point of just how fast they can convert it then they achieve that speed by trying to cut the bits of videos they think you won't miss. Much like converting a CD to an MP3, they strip the unwanted parts of the conversion but some people DO notice that information thats now missing, so reducing the overall quality of the final conversion

If you want the best video conversion, reducing a 20GB blu-ray rip to an MKV thats about 7GB then you need x264 and plenty of time for the software to do its work, which takes a lot of time as it has a lot to do

BD-RB is probably the best of the, for squeezing a full blu-ray to a single DVD and trying to keep the quality as high as possible, but is very very slow as its squeezing as much as it can quality wise

BD-RB, RipBot or VidCoder are 100% free and are the better blu-ray/DVD converters to DVD, all can reduce the size to almost any size you want and try to keep quality as high as possible, but speed is the cost. Time is really of no importance for video work if you want quality, unless you are paying for that time

I've used VidCoder and was impressed with the results, plus the fact that you have quite a bit of control over the settings that can make a huge difference the the final quality and the denoising that is included that does work resonably well, for DVD to MKV the results are quite quick

Also MakeMKV simply converts your DVD rip to an MKV file, so the results are as good as the original DVD. I use it to convert a DVD rip to a single MKV file that I can then play on our media player box

VSO blu-ray Converter and VSO DVD Converter are both quite fast at the conversion but keep quality quite high, but again these are not free. But I have used both and the results are quite good

To rip almost ANY blu-ray or DVD so removing the annoying protection system on disc that YOU have spent your hard earned money on and so want to be able to keep in that unscratched condition then either SlySoft AnyDVD HD or PassKey ( which is far from cheap). Both are updated very frequently almost as soon as new protections are detected on new films released on disc
    Last edited by steptoe; 23rd Sep 2012 at 17:08.
    Quote Quote  
  23. If the OP's computer details are correct, it may be best to just use MakeMKV and forget about converting. Not enough grunt in that machine.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  24. I'm trying to rip my Lord of the rings extended discs using xilisoft ultimate.
    But I've just found out that it doesnt matter what format i try to rip the videos to, the output videos still jitter even in divx.
    Last edited by R.STEED; 23rd Sep 2012 at 18:10.
    Quote Quote  
  25. That jitter might be the result from your computer being underpowered.
    If that program will allow you to just copy blu-ray to hard drive, then do that and in a separate step try a conversion.
    You could probably do better using dvdfab to copy to hard drive and then use some other converter to change to what you want.

What you really need to know and mentioned by others here is the need to (1st) copy BD or dvd to hard drive then
    (2Nd) convert to whatever you want.
    This is the way it needs to be done regardless of what programs are used.

Anytime the 2 processes are combined then it can cause problems.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I've just bought anydvd hd.
    Now what do i do next to rip a dvd to the hard drive?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Right click on the anydvd icon in the notification area and choose rip to folder or an iso file.
    Quote Quote  
  28. There's no 'rip to folder' option coming up
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Rip to Harddisk.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Ok thanks!
    Now which settings to i make to get the best possible quality?
    Quote Quote