VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I've got a video which has several parts of it in 704 x 480 and several in 720 x 480. I need it all in 720 x 480 as that's all that Bluray supports. I don't want to re-encode the 704 x 480 parts as normal (and adding borders) as I will lose quality. I could losslessly convert to h264 but I want MPEG2 format. I'm aware the file sizes will be huge. Is there any way to re-encode MPEG2 without losing quality?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Is there any way to re-encode MPEG2 without losing quality?
    no, not if you want the MPEG2 compatible for blu-ray

I could losslessly convert to h264 but I want MPEG2 format
    lossless h264 isn't supported by blu-ray
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No promises here, but assuming your audio is valid for BluRay you could just feed your files into tsmuxer and set it for AVCHD or BluRay (may need to try both) output and see if your player will play it anyway without conversion to 720x480. There's some chance it may just work even though it's out of spec.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I don't know why you can't just author it as a dvd? Dvds play on blurays.

Are you trying to merge this with a larger bluray project? Is this background material you want to add to something that is high def on a bluray video (ie background video to a main movie you are doing?).

Otherwise if it doesn't have to be on bluray I'd simply author it to dvd and be done with it.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try ffmpeg, the command line should be like this.
    Code:
    ffmpeg.exe -i MyOld.mp2 -vcodec dvd -vf super2xsai scale=740:480 -b:v 200000k MyNew.mp2dvd
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    I need it all in 720 x 480 as that's all that Bluray supports.
    Ummm...
    No, that is not all that Bluray will support.....
    If it was it would be called DVD!!!

LOL!!

Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Ummm...

LOL!!

I think the op means is that blu-ray supports 720x480 and not 704x480,just author as a dvd video disc as yoda313 suggested.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a video which has several parts of it in 704 x 480 and several in 720 x 480. I need it all in 720 x 480 as that's all that Bluray supports. I don't want to re-encode the 704 x 480 parts as normal (and adding borders) as I will lose quality. I could losslessly convert to h264 but I want MPEG2 format. I'm aware the file sizes will be huge. Is there any way to re-encode MPEG2 without losing quality?
    You would not need to add borders to a 704x480 video anyway if the aspect ratio of the 720x480 video was the same (or very close, like 1.304 vs 1.333). You would just re-encode it to 720x480 resolution with the same aspect ratio as the 720x480 video.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    No promises here, but assuming your audio is valid for BluRay you could just feed your files into tsmuxer and set it for AVCHD or BluRay (may need to try both) output and see if your player will play it anyway without conversion to 720x480. There's some chance it may just work even though it's out of spec.
    I'm not going to risk that as Bluray only supports 720 x 480
    Quote Quote  
  10. Why re-encode? IMO 720 and 704 can be concatenated and decoder should switch between 704 and 720 without problems - unless fps not change then everything should be OK.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Is there any way to re-encode MPEG2 without losing quality?
    no, not if you want the MPEG2 compatible for blu-ray

I could losslessly convert to h264 but I want MPEG2 format
    lossless h264 isn't supported by blu-ray
    The files are MPEG2s. I need to keep the files as MPEG2 as I will be re-encoding everything with Avisynth and DGIndex only supports MPEG2. I will then be encoding h264 files from the Avisynth scripts with Simple x264 Launcher.

I know Bluray doesn't support lossless h264 but I would be re-enocoding the lossless h264 anyway to a bitrate that Bluray does support.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by yoda313 View Post
    I guess I don't know why you can't just author it as a dvd? Dvds play on blurays.

Are you trying to merge this with a larger bluray project? Is this background material you want to add to something that is high def on a bluray video (ie background video to a main movie you are doing?).

Otherwise if it doesn't have to be on bluray I'd simply author it to dvd and be done with it.
    As I said in the title, I am making Blurays.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Ummm...

LOL!!

I think the op means is that blu-ray supports 720x480 and not 704x480,just author as a dvd video disc as yoda313 suggested.
    I am making Blurays not DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by holygamer View Post

The files are MPEG2s. I need to keep the files as MPEG2 as I will be re-encoding everything with Avisynth and DGIndex only supports MPEG2. I will then be encoding h264 files from the Avisynth scripts with Simple x264 Launcher.

I know Bluray doesn't support lossless h264 but I would be re-enocoding the lossless h264 anyway to a bitrate that Bluray does support.

Then it doesn't matter since you are encoding to h264 anyways.

Add the borders in your avisynth script to the 704 segments. Join them in the script . In avisynth everything is done in the uncompressed domain, so there is no quality loss due to compression . The loss occurs when you encode with a lossy format. Since you are using h264 anyways with simple x264 launcher, this doesn't affect you (it's a moot point)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I've got a video which has several parts of it in 704 x 480 and several in 720 x 480. I need it all in 720 x 480 as that's all that Bluray supports. I don't want to re-encode the 704 x 480 parts as normal (and adding borders) as I will lose quality. I could losslessly convert to h264 but I want MPEG2 format. I'm aware the file sizes will be huge. Is there any way to re-encode MPEG2 without losing quality?
    You would not need to add borders to a 704x480 video anyway if the aspect ratio of the 720x480 video was the same (or very close, like 1.304 vs 1.333). You would just re-encode it to 720x480 resolution with the same aspect ratio as the 720x480 video.
    I know I need to re-encode. The problem is I don't want do a lossly re-encode twice. At the moment I would have to re-encode the 704 x 480 MPEG2 to a 720 x 480 MPEG2. Then I could mux all the 720 x 480 clips together to have 1 file. Then I would re-encode the file to H264 with Avisynth performing restoration scripts on it. But you see the 704 x 480 clip is then re-encoded twice while the 720 x 480 clips is re-encoded once.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Why re-encode? IMO 720 and 704 can be concatenated and decoder should switch between 704 and 720 without problems - unless fps not change then everything should be OK.
    Bluray doesn't support 704 x 480.
    Quote Quote  
  17. If i reading correctly:

"The video formats shown in Figure 3-3 can be used for BD-ROM video streams."

can is not shall and bd require mpeg-2 compliant stream - 704 and 720 are fully compliant mpeg-2 resolutions, also bd provide dvd backward compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    If i reading correctly:

"The video formats shown in Figure 3-3 can be used for BD-ROM video streams."

can is not shall and bd require mpeg-2 compliant stream - 704 and 720 are fully compliant mpeg-2 resolutions, also bd provide dvd backward compatibility.

I think this is only MPEG2 due to legacy reasons . AVC isn't supported for primary SD blu-ray stream as 704

You can't switch resolutions midstream either, they have to be on different titles
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post

Then it doesn't matter since you are encoding to h264 anyways.

Add the borders in your avisynth script to the 704 segments. Join them in the script . In avisynth everything is done in the uncompressed domain, so there is no quality loss due to compression . The loss occurs when you encode with a lossy format. Since you are using h264 anyways with simple x264 launcher, this doesn't affect you (it's a moot point)

The problem is that I'm also doing noise reduction on the audio and volume matching (like normalization). Volume matching does not work properly on audio of less than 45 minutes which some of these clips are so I need to join all the videos up and then demux the whole video into an audio and video file so I can work on the audio. I can't remove commercials from the whole video either as VideoRedo doesn't support editing of videos with multiple resolutions.

I think I'm just going to have to re-encode the 704 x 480 videos into 720 x 480 MPEG2s at a high bitrate to prevent as much quality loss as possible then I can join all the 720 x 480 clips into 1 video and encode the whole video into h264 format.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by holygamer View Post

The problem is that I'm also doing noise reduction on the audio and volume matching (like normalization). Volume matching does not work properly on audio of less than 45 minutes which some of these clips are so I need to join all the videos up and then demux the whole video into an audio and video file so I can work on the audio. I can't remove commercials from the whole video either as VideoRedo doesn't support editing of videos with multiple resolutions.

I think I'm just going to have to re-encode the 704 x 480 videos into 720 x 480 MPEG2s at a high bitrate to prevent as much quality loss as possible then I can join all the 720 x 480 clips into 1 video and encode the whole video into h264 format.
    If you're doing all these things, I think this would be easier in a NLE

It's possible to do in avisynth (make edits, add borders) , but it's not as easy or user friendly to do
    Quote Quote  
  21. NLE = non linear editor e.g. sony vegas, premiere pro

You can frameserve to one of the x264 gui's as well

It depends on what kind of editing you plan on doing, but if it's just simple edits ,commercials those sorts of things, you could edit individual clips in videoredo, join them (with audio) and add borders to 704 clips in avisynth . Edit the joined audio in an audio editor
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I know I need to re-encode. The problem is I don't want do a lossly re-encode twice. At the moment I would have to re-encode the 704 x 480 MPEG2 to a 720 x 480 MPEG2. Then I could mux all the 720 x 480 clips together to have 1 file. Then I would re-encode the file to H264 with Avisynth performing restoration scripts on it. But you see the 704 x 480 clip is then re-encoded twice while the 720 x 480 clips is re-encoded once.
    There is no way to increase the resolution without re-encoding. If you add 8-pixel wide black borders borders to 704x480 video, you still have to encode the same number of times, and will still loose a bit of quality anyway. Adding 8-pixel pillarbox bars has one drawback. If you view the video on a display that doesn't overscan, you may notice the borders in bright scenes.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by holygamer View Post
    Why? Make a lossless AVI from the source 704x720 one, at the same time adding borders or resizing to 720x480. Then add the AVI to the rest using AviSource on it and MPEG2Source on the others. Very easy. Or join them all at once, resizing the 704x720 one so its resolution matches the rest. If you also include and join all the audios at the same time, then you can do the edits (cut out the commercials or whatever else you want, like add fadeins/outs) extract the entire audio in one piece for use in a WAV editor to normalize or remove noise or whatever else you want to do. Add it back to the reencoded video during authoring.

As near as I can tell VDub won't demux audio, but VDubMod will. And quite easily, with the trims and fades, delays and anything else you might have done to the audio in the AviSynth script. I do it all the time

I don't understand the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Yeah, I'm not sure either why you'd want to convert it to MPEG2 to do intermediary work on it. Just convert the files you have to a lossless format (use huffyuv or lagarith), do your work on it in virtualdub and/or avisynth to get the frames the size you want and such, output to lossless, then import those clips into a NLE like Sony Vegas and edit them together how you want. Obviously the one thing you'll need is lots and lots of hard drive space.

Then you can export the whole thing to h264.

The NLE will come in handy if you trying to combine footage of the same show from a few different sources (which I assume is what you are doing).
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is no way to increase the resolution without re-encoding.
    In fact there is chance to add resolution without re encoding- problem is that tools that can do this are not available for free or as a commercial product.
    Should be possible to operate at the macroblock level without transcoding video - similar to operations on jpeg (lossless transformations)

perhaps similar to this one DVDPatcher
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, you don't need to keep everything as MPEG2.
    You just need to get everything into your Avisynth script and make them compatible.

e.g

Code:
    video=MPEG2Source("vid704.d2v").AddBorders(8,0,8,0)
    audio=DirectShowSource("vid704.ac3")
    v1=AudioDub(video,audio)

video=MPEG2Source("vid720.d2v")
    audio=DirectShowSource("vid720.ac3")
    v2=AudioDub(video,audio)

v1++v2

The problem is that I'm also doing noise reduction on the audio and volume matching (like normalization). Volume matching does not work properly on audio of less than 45 minutes which some of these clips are so I need to join all the videos up and then demux the whole video into an audio and video file so I can work on the audio. I can't remove commercials from the whole video either as VideoRedo doesn't support editing of videos with multiple resolutions
    For audio, use Soundout() and export as wave, then you can process the audio and mix it back in.
    Use Trim() to edit out commercials, e.g.use e.g. AvsP's trim editor.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pandy View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    There is no way to increase the resolution without re-encoding.
    In fact there is chance to add resolution without re encoding- problem is that tools that can do this are not available for free or as a commercial product.
    Should be possible to operate at the macroblock level without transcoding video - similar to operations on jpeg (lossless transformations)

perhaps similar to this one DVDPatcher
    If you think that, then you don't know what DVDPatcher does. It is used to correct information stored in video headers when there is a mistake. It doesn't change the video itself.

[Edit]Some people use DVDPatcher to change information in the video headers in order to trick their authoring software into accepting incompatible video, but there is no guarantee their player will play the resulting disc. It is better to work within the spec.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 12th Sep 2012 at 13:36.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    If you think that, then you don't know what DVDPatcher does. It is used to correct information stored in video headers when there is a mistake. It doesn't change the video itself.
    I know what DVDPatcher does - it can force MPEG-2 to required resolution and it is up to decoder how to handle incorrect data however due of fact that error resilience should work correctly then also 704 marked as 720 should be OK - missing data will be replaced by null or something similar - anyway those 16 pixels are usually behind border..

btw
    You can operate at DCT/macroblock levels without decoding video (there is lot of transformations that can be performed without touching video data or by modifying them without decoding - if You are tricky there is even chance to modify video on limited area without touching outer parts) - adding 16 black pixels without transcoding is possible.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I tried DVD Patcher long ago to increase the resolution and it doesn't work. Players don't play the video properly.
    Quote Quote