VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am looking to batch convert a bunch of XviD avi's to H264 MP4 for compatability with my LG ST600. The ST600 plays avi's but constantly stutters and pixelates but MP4's play fine. I have converted a few 1 at a time using handbrake and the resulted MP4's play perfect on the ST600 and I am happy with the output quality. I would like to use an application that will allow me to just feed a bunch of avi's then convert them to mp4 preserving the originals files resolution and file size. Something like Avirecomp which alays keeps original resolution and file size for the output settings except instead of going avi -> avi I would be going avi-> mp4. Any suggestions? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Freemake video converter(ADWARE ALERT!!, be sure to deselect any toolbars when you install it). Load all avis. Click to MP4. Select preset Same source. Convert. But be sure to test with one mp4 and see how it works. And remeber that you LG might not support HD frame size/resolutions.

Or maybe a command line batch with ffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would probably just send them through a ffmpeg batch file. Can't really address keeping them the same size, but can give you basically the same quality.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i input -vcodec libx264 -crf 18 -acodec copy output.mp4
    That would keep the audio the same but transcode your video to h.264 using x264 with constant rate factor of 18 (which is generally considered visually transparent). I tend to use a crf of 19 for SD material and 21 for HD, but that is personal preference.

Anyhow, a simple batch file for this would be:
    Code:
    setlocal
    set ffmpeg="Path\To\ffmpeg.exe"

FOR %%A IN (*.avi) DO (
    %ffmpeg% -i %%A -vcodec libx264 -crf 18 -acodec copy %%~nA.mp4
    )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I thought I'd point out that handbrake does have a batch encode option. Select 'add to queue' once your file conversion is set the way you want. Then add another and repeat until you have as many as you want in the batch.

Edit - though i think you still have to fiddle with some individual settings with each file like subtitles and audio settings. But the video details you want like resolution and stuff should autopopulate from your last setting. The audio and subtitles will need to be set for each file so far as I know. There are handbrake guides out there so check one out for the batch encoding features for more detaill.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I would try a simple remux first.
    Quote Quote