VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi all
    For a while now I have been using Handbrake to rip DVDs with my Ubuntu Linux box, but recently I have run into issues with some of these newer DVDs. I purchased the Insanity workout DVDs from beachbody.com and I want to rip them to a digital format so that I can play them on my tablet. However, I am running into some problems here, and I am not sure if it is an encryption issue or not. I posted on a Linux forum and someone told me it was a "structural obfuscation issue"

Handbrake won't read these DVDs at all. Either in Windows 7 or Ubuntu. The windows version comes up saying "the disc is encrypted or is a bad copy" or something similar.

When scanned by another application in Linux called Acidrip, the DVD shows to have 99 tracks, and many of them are about 40 minutes long, which is the length of this 1 DVD I am trying to rip. However, after ripping the track suggested by this program, or several of the other 40 minute tracks, the video comes up out of order: meaning that when I play it, it acts like it is skipping around to scenes that were patches into the video out of order.

Has anyone successfully ripped DVDs of this nature? If so, can you suggest a software? Or am I missing a codec or something? VLC plays them fine, but it takes almost 5 full minutes for it to load any of these DVDs, I assume because it is scanning all 99 tracks and finding the right one.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried dvdfab decrypter or anydvd in windows ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What Baldrick said is right, but to provide a technical explanation since your few posts indicate you don't participate here much and probably don't know this....

What you are seeing is known as "bad sector copy protection". Some of the studios started using this about 5 or so years ago. The main ripping program at the time was DVD Decrypter and the author was given a choice of abandoning his program permanently or facing potentially ruinous litigation in the US legal system that had consistently ruled against every decryption program that had faced a legal challenge. He dropped the program. After DVD Decrypter was abandoned, some studios started using bad sector copy protection specifically to defeat old copies of DVD Decrypter. Basically PCs do a sector by sector method of ripping DVDs, so deliberately bad information was placed on the disc and invalid TOC (Table Of Contents) entries were created for the disc so that the old ripping programs would show crazy things like a large number of tracks (you see this in your ripping) or an impossible amount of data on the disc (ie. an 8.5 GB disc suddenly seems to hold 40 GB or more of data) and so on.

Nobody takes Handbrake seriously as a ripping program. Since this kind of bad sector nonsense is rarely done outside of the US and Canada and Handbrake is written by French people, Handbrake works fine for ripping the vast majority of DVDs made outside of North America. Looks like your discs use some variation (there are many) on the bad sector copy protection and nothing under Linux can handle it. Windows programs AnyDVD and DVDFab get regular updates to work with changes to DVD and BD copy protection and they can correctly rip such discs. I am sorry, but you really must use a Windows tool to defeat this copy protection and you must use either AnyDVD or DVDFab. There is a free version of DVDFab if you want to try it, but be warned that it trails the commercial one by 6 months so if your DVDs are newly made there is always some chance that the free DVDFab can't rip them correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for all of that info.

I used DVD Decrypter back in the day and I am familiar with that. I knew it was abandoned and I heard it was due to legal issues, but I didn't have any further details. Thanks for sharing.

After I posted this post earlier, I did some digging on this forum and I actually did install DVDFab, the trial version, and it ripped one of these Insanity DVDs pretty well. I also have the Body Beast set of DVDs, but DVDFab isn't wanting to open those yet. Like you said, it is likely because I don't have the full version.

Handbrake does a beautiful job of ripping non-DRM or non-"bad sector copy protection" DVDs. I used this program in Linux to rip my older P90X DVDs and it worked great. Same company makes all of these discs, but I guess since the Insanity and Body Beast DVDs are newer, they have protection that wasn't included in the older P90X DVDs.

I'll continue with DVDFab for now and I will probably purchase this program soon. Between it and AnyDVD, which is more supported, updated, reliable, in your opinions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One thing you can do with these DVDs that seem to have a lot of titlesets is to play them in a standard DVD player (or software DVD player) and the on screen display will tell you which titleset is the real one. I had to do that once in a while back in the 'rip-it-4-me' days.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ideal DVD Copy is what I used for these very discs. I usually use AnyDVD or DVDFab and sometimes DVD43 with DVD Shrink, but for these I used Ideal DVD Copy. It works!!! Check it out. Not sure why the others didn't, but this one did. Always good to have several ripping programs. And yes, I got the full discs backed up.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by V Bot View Post
    Ideal DVD Copy is what I used for these very discs. I usually use AnyDVD or DVDFab and sometimes DVD43 with DVD Shrink, but for these I used Ideal DVD Copy. It works!!! Check it out. Not sure why the others didn't, but this one did. Always good to have several ripping programs. And yes, I got the full discs backed up.
    I can confirm: Ideal DVD Copy Works perfectly. 1 for 1 perfect reproduction. I didn't have to set up any settings. I just put in the read disc, switch out the write disc and done.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AnyDVD is the best that I've used or you can try Isobuster also which allows you to pull the files quickly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Holdemchick View Post
    AnyDVD is the best that I've used or you can try Isobuster also which allows you to pull the files quickly.
    No. Isobuster wont work to rip DVD.

And this is a 3 year old thread....are you a spammer?
    Quote Quote