VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I bought Through The Wormhole With Morgan Freeman Season 1 on 2 disc Bluray. I wanted to backup the 2 discs and the first disc was no problem as AnyDVDHD read the disc without problems.

Here comes the part I need help with. The second disc is seen as an empty disc when I insert it into my LG BH10LS30 and I have tried AnyDVD HD, DvdFab, BDinfo, MakeMKV but all of them show the disc as empty. Also seen as empty in Windows. The disc play fine in my standalone Samsung BD-C6500 so the disc isnt empty but all programs see the disc as empty and the first disc caused no problems.

I have tried rebooting pc but my bluray drive spins the disc and activity LED flashes for approx. 5 seconds and then nothing else happens.

I Have no idea what the problem is. I know my bluray drive works, I know the disc in question plays on standalone player and they are brand new Region2 discs.

Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong??
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My experience with LG drives is that they are insanely fussy and they sometimes can't read discs that other drives have no problems with. I've got an LG and Pioneer BD burner in my current build and if they are still around the next time I need a drive I'll go with Pioneer. If you have access to any other BD drive on another PC or your PC that is not made by LG, it might be worthwhile to see if that drive can see the disc.

AnyDVD HD has a recent update which implies that BD+ copy protection has had some recent updates. Be sure you have tried the most recent versions of AnyDVD HD and DVDFab. If you are using the free DVDFab then you should be aware that it trails the most recent paid version by about 6 months. I suppose it's possible that the 2nd disc has some new kind of protection on it but as this set seems to not be all that new, I would say that's unlikely.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    My experience with LG drives is that they are insanely fussy and they sometimes can't read discs that other drives have no problems with. I've got an LG and Pioneer BD burner in my current build and if they are still around the next time I need a drive I'll go with Pioneer. If you have access to any other BD drive on another PC or your PC that is not made by LG, it might be worthwhile to see if that drive can see the disc.

AnyDVD HD has a recent update which implies that BD+ copy protection has had some recent updates. Be sure you have tried the most recent versions of AnyDVD HD and DVDFab. If you are using the free DVDFab then you should be aware that it trails the most recent paid version by about 6 months. I suppose it's possible that the 2nd disc has some new kind of protection on it but as this set seems to not be all that new, I would say that's unlikely.
    I tried with an old Lite-ON USB 2.0 Bluray Reader/Burner and it is the same thing. It says the format is unsupported and BDinfo says it is not a BD discs.

I then took both disc and looked at the codes on the underside to see if there was any difference in what was written in hope of might finding a media code or anything else. There is a difference as the first disc which worked has BDV written near center of disc while disc 2 which is the problematic disc has BDV L1 written. Also the working disc has like 2 rings with info while disc 2 only has 1 ring with various info.

But both discs work on my Samsung standalone player.

So anyone know what BDV and BDV L1 means??
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I got it working but I must admit that I dont know how

I tried loading and ejecting the tray with in Imgburn and suddenly Imgburn could read it but said it couldnt decrypt AACS. So I closed Imgburn and ran Anydvd HD which could also suddenly read the disc and made backup without errors and works perfectly.
    Strange thing is that the folder content on disc 2 is not the same as on disc 1. By that I mean that there is a FAB! folder on disc 2 which isnt on disc 1.

So dont know how I managed to get it working but it did somehow
    Quote Quote