VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am tasked with a problem that I have been unable to unearth by myself, and was hoping I could get some insight from the rest of you guys... I basically need to build some sort of protection for my companys video files.. Here is how I was tasked to do it, but i am unable to start as I am not familiar with video to much.

Here is the idea, videos are encoded in a mp4 container, we wanted to keep the video inside of that same container, but be able to change the extension of the filename and be able to play it as that. But if the extension is renamed back to mp4, then it is not playable.

Is this even possible? any pointers would be a big help..
    Quote Quote  
  2. For something that works from Windows (and any DirectShow media player) you need to define your own container then create a DirectShow File Reader and File Splitter. Or you can create your own custom player for your custom container.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Is this even possible?
    No the extension does not change the content,... so it would not provide any protection.
    ISMACrypt might be a possibility,... (see: http://gpac.wp.mines-telecom.fr/mp4box/ismacrypt-and-oma-drm/)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If your proposal was possible/practical I'm pretty sure that Hollywood with it's billions to throw at the idea of disc copy protection would have already done it. You need to get your resume ready. A company that would ask you in all seriousness to take on this project is either going to be a very unhappy place for you to work or they're going to get rid of you soon enough. Trust me - this is a solid indication that they place no value on you. Giving employees impossible tasks to do that management thinks are "easy" is never going to have a happy ending for the employee.

I'm not knocking jagabo, but I've got a strong feeling that if his suggestions were something you were capable of doing, you wouldn't be posting here.

You need to make sure your company's management understands that the more "secure" you make your files, the greater the likelihood that something unintended will happen and some highly pissed off customer won't be able to play them at all.

Finally, if you're willing to go the Windows route and not give a crap if Mac and Linux machines can or can't play your files and you're willing to use Microsoft media formats, Microsoft offers some tough to crack copy protection. Netflix uses it. They've got some stuff using Silverlight that as far as I know nobody else has ever cracked. Silverlight theoretically works on Mac and there is a free Microsoft supported clone for Linux called Moonlight, but I wouldn't bet my life on those platforms working OK. I've used Sliverlight on Mac a few times and it seems to work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok how about this... what about taking the first 1024 bytes of the video file, adding those into another file, then merging the 2 files back together as a mp4... anyone have any php solutions for hex merging files?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for your input jman, i know its a bit of a crazy task that i probably wont be able to handle. just thought i would get some opinons before i totally ruled it out..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djppimp View Post
    I was tasked to do it, but i am unable to start as I am not familiar with video to much. .
    To call your company retarded would be an understatement.
    This isn't ever going to happen, given your limited knowledge, and the difficulty of the task.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the idea, videos are encoded in a mp4 container, we wanted to keep the video inside of that same container, but be able to change the extension of the filename and be able to play it as that. But if the extension is renamed back to mp4, then it is not playable.
    perhaps not exactly what you're after but how about this method:

convert your mp4's to self playing exe's:

http://mulder.brhack.net/

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/convert-any-video-file-into-self-running-exe...le-exe-player/

then encrypt them within a password protected archive:

http://www.zipgenius.com/

of course your customers won't like this and it's not 100% full proof but it is better than what you have now.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now a days security meant for any thing
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What you could do is this (if you truly knew how to implement it):
    1 Make standard file (eg: h.264+aac in mp4)
    2 Get hash of file
    3 Encrypt file with combo of special pwd and hash
    4 Rename extension to unique new one ( eg: .media)
    5 Create special media player that works ONLY with that ONE format of files (using its own codec libraries, etc)
    6 Make sure player includes embedded pwd, and have player check online for valid hash for internal decryption & decoding
    7 Associate only player to .media files

It could still be reverse engineered, cracked, sniffed and broken. But you might have a head start...
    LOTS of work, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I basically need to build some sort of protection for my companys video files.
    An alternative approach that is successfully used by most of the world's voice recording companies is to use a proprietary codec.

Now you can at least look at the source of existing containers and codecs and see which looks like less work customising.
    Quote Quote  
  12. In what way are these videos distributed? What sort of commercial value do they have?

Essentially, if it can be played, it can be copied.

Individual files can be password-protected but for mass distribution this is just not practical.

They have sent you on a fool's errand, like sending you out for a left-handed crescent wrench, but worse, as such things do exist.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to distribute files that require a password to decode, you could put them in a passworded RAR or ZIP archive.
    Make it a self-extracting EXE if you want to make it more user friendly.

Of course, if the user has the password he cam make a copy; but that is the case with any method, even if they have to resort to screen capture.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And don't forget.. If you actually make these files un-copyable, sell your idea to Hollywood, cos they've spent millions trying to do the same
    Quote Quote