VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread
  1. ...
    Last edited by jovopros; 15th Aug 2013 at 18:05.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had issues with AVStoDVD not correctly converting the audio. My suggestion is to make a new file with DVD compliant AC-3 audio (meaning keep the bitrate at or under 448kbps) before importing. The easiest and best way to do that (in my opinion) is to use a handy program called PS3 Muxer which will take your MKV and re-encode the audio from DTS to AC-3 (it allows you to pick the bitrate) and creates a new file which is in the M2TS format.

Please note it won't copy more than 1 audio stream (at a time) and won't copy the subtitles but if there is only 1 audio stream then just import the M2TS file into AVStoDVD and it will not re-encode the audio (please note there may be an option you have to click to make it do that ... I can't remember now). As for the subtitles ... you can demux them from the MKV and as long as they are in the same folder as the M2TS file then the program will pick them up. I never tried to use it with more than one audio stream and one subtitle stream so I'm not sure if it handles multiple streams or not.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jovopros View Post
    Task: I'm trying to convert a .MKV Blu-ray rip (1488 x 1080 with DTS 768 kbps audio) using AVS and I've encountered 2 problems:
    A very good way to begin the troubleshooting is to post here the AVStoDVD project .log file. You find it in the default output folder.

Originally Posted by jovopros View Post
    First, the output has no audio. I read somewhere that I need to turn off "keep ac3/dts,mp2 dvd compliant audio" in the audio settings tab, is that wise? will the resulting file play OK in my DVD player? audio preferences are set to ac3 and 192 kbps.
    Yes, if you are having issues with DTS stream, that's the usual solution. More details at FAQ/Audio/Q4.4

Second, my file comes with a .idx/.sub subtitles, it contains several languages. The subtitles file is detected automatically when I add the .mkv file on AVS, however the resulting file only had english subtitles, I don't know if it's because the mkv also contains english subtitles or because that's the default choice on AVS.
    How can I add all the subtitles to the final file? is there a way to choose which ones to keep?
    Also, does AVS detect subtitles embedded on mkv files properly (like CX2DVD) and does it add all of them to the resulting DVD? (you can choose subtitle streams with CX2DVD).
    It is better to let AVStoDVD detect and extract the subtitles directly from the mkv. You must have MkvToolNix installed. More details at FAQ/Subtitles/Q5.2

Also: there seems to be no guide for AVS on this site or other famous video encoding forums and I've read some posts by the author where he refers to the help section within the program when someone asks what settings should he choose. I was wondering which filter should I use for downscaling my files, the default filter for that is spline64, however on the help section it says that that filter is for UPSCALING and spline16 is mentioned as a downscaling filter, is that a typo? anyway, which one do YOU think is the best filter for upscaling and specially for downscaling?
    Thanks for pointing out that misalignement: I will fix that bug in the next release. For downscaling, due to the neutral effect, IMO Spline16 is better. BTW I would suggest to use your eyes to judge what it is better for you. Sometimes it is a matter of personal taste.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please note that if you make a DVD with DTS that some DVD players will only be able to output the DTS as DTS and if you don't have a DTS capable audio system then no sound for you.

Some DVD players will downmix the DTS to stereo for the RCA stereo audio outputs but that is rare. Also I think that some DVD players can downmix it to stereo if using the digital (coaxial and/or optical) audio output but if you don't have a DTS capable receiver then you probably don't have a digital input on said receiver.

So just be careful that you are aware of this and have capable equipment before making a DTS only DVD Video.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  5. ...
    Quote Quote  
  6. ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the author of DVDtoAVS said above that it is best to leave the subtitles in the MKV so a work around would be:

1.) Use PS3 Muxer to re-encode the audio giving you a M2TS with the video and audio in AC-3
    2.) Use mkvmerge GUI to make a new MKV

Regarding the 2nd step. You can import the M2TS and pull the video and audio out of that. You can also load the original MKV and pull the subtitles out of that. If you have additional subtitles not in the original MKV you can pull those in as well. So in the end you have a new MKV that has the same video, with already re-encoded DVD compliant AC-3 audio and all your subtitles.

mkvmerge GUI comes with mkvtoolnix
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MKVExtractGUI-2 is a good tool for demuxing a MKV (should have added that before but in my explanation above you don't have to use this but it is good to install and have)
    Quote Quote  
  9. ...
    Quote Quote  
  10. ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD might take a bit more work to use than ConvertXtoDVD but the quality is much better. My problem with ConvertXtoDVD is that it uses ffmpeg for MPEG-2 DVD video and ffmpeg just sucks at MPEG-2 DVD video. AVStoDVD uses HCenc and that is probably the finest MPEG-2 converter (next to CCE and the difference in quality output is minor).
    Quote Quote  
  12. ...
    Last edited by jovopros; 15th Aug 2013 at 18:06.
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...
    Quote Quote  
  14. ...
    Quote Quote  
  15. @jovopros

but the audio has been converted successfully... from the log file:
    END AUDIO ENCODING OPERATIONS (Track 1)
    A2DAudioSource: DirectShowSource
    Created File: C:\Users\pc\Desktop\DVD_0_Leaving.Las.Vegas.Unrate d.1995.720p.BluRay.x264-EbP_1.ac3 (359 MB)
    OUTPUT AUDIO INFO: AC3 - 448 kbps - CBR - 6 ch - 48000 Hz - 16 bit - 1:52:02 hours (0 ms delay)
    Muxman has not refused it, so the audio track should be there. Have you tried to burn a DVD (RW to try) and read it with an external DVD player?

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  16. ...
    Last edited by jovopros; 15th Aug 2013 at 18:07.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    According to that last LOG that you posted the audio WAS converted.

So if you did convert to AC-3 first you did one of two things wrong:

1.) The audio wasn't DVD compliant AC-3 audio. How can this happen? Well PS3 Muxer allows you to set the bitrate to 640kbps but that is NOT compliant for DVD. For DVD you have to set it at 448kbps or lower (I think the lowest is 192kbps). So it is possible you set it to 640kbps which would force AVStoDVD to re-encode.

2.) The audio was DVD compliant AC-3 but you forgot to checkmark the option in AVStoDVD to NOT re-encode. I just encoded a sample myself and it did not re-encode (I can tell from the LOG it created) and this is how I did the audio:

You have to make sure you checkmark the option: Audio Direct Stream Copy

So in conclusion:

AVStoDVD cannot properly encode audio on my machine nor does it seem on your machine. So you converted to AC-3 first so it would not re-encode. However it did re-encode for one of the two reasons I gave above. The result was bad audio.

The real question is why the audio never seems to work with this program when using Windows 7 but at least the work around option WILL work, you just did it wrong somehow.
    Quote Quote  
  18. ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the MKV had AC-3 audio then chances are it was 640kbps AC-3 and that is why AVStoDVD did the conversion (since again that bitrate is not DVD compliant).

If you have or grab MediaInfo you can check the MKV and it will tell you the bitrate of the audio, etc.

Most HD MKV files either have DTS audio or AC-3 audio and when the audio is AC-3 then it is almost always 640kbps since that is the highest bitrate for AC-3 and compliant for blu-ray players and media players etc. (it is only DVD that can't handle that high rate).
    Quote Quote  
  20. ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Guess I'll have to find another program that uses HCenc and handles audio files properly. Or extract and convert the audio and also the subtitles and then add the new files to AVS... which doesn't make much sense I guess why would I use it when I'm forced to do half the process with other tools anyway
    Yes I understand your frustration. While I've not had subtitle issues (although my use of movies with subtitles is limited) I have had the audio issue.

However if you can deal with the "prep" work then the program is a very nice program which will essentially handle the rest of the process for you. Remember without it you'll have to make your own AviSynth script and if you then import that into HCenc you have to set all the settings in that program so I guess what I am saying is that despite the "prep" work needed on the audio and maybe the subtitles etc. the program AVStoDVD still helps and does wonders in other areas.

Good Luck !!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. @jovopros

I had suggested to burn the DVD because the audio was de facto encoded and accepted by Muxman, so in your case (opposite to Fulci's, I guess) it should not be an AC3 codecs/mixer issue. I have had users (long ago) reporting no audio with VLC or MPC, but having burned the DVD, everything was there.

Another try you can do is to use the Preview Clip function (the magnifier glass icon). If you can hear the audio in the AVStoDVD output player, then the resulting DVD should be fine as well.

Let me know

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  23. ...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Uh-oh the Preview Clip uses directly the win directshow library (quartz.dll). That error could be a signal that there is a directshow codecs configuration issue. BTW you were able to complete the audio encoding step, so I stiil suggest to burn a DVD-RW.

Yes, if you want you can play with different audio encoders. To speed up testing, use a small video clip.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  25. ...
    Quote Quote  
  26. For the Preview Clip issue, the short (lucky) path, assuming you have ffdshow installed:

- see AVStoDVD FAQ/GUI/Q2.3

the long (reset) path:

- uninstall AVStoDVD
    - uninstall AviSynth
    - uninstall every audio and video codecs/splitters/filters/players you have previously installed on your system
    - install last release of Microsoft DirectX for your OS
    - install only ffdshow as audio/video codecs suite
    - make sure that ffdshow is configured like FAQ/GUI/Q2.3
    - install AVStoDVD (and included AviSynth and Haali)

Let me know

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  27. ...
    Quote Quote  
  28. ...
    Last edited by jovopros; 15th Aug 2013 at 18:08. Reason: Added .log file
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well, no magic wand, just some experience... a big reset can do miracles

AC3 5.1 @448 is ok

If the audio is louder you can use the 'Amplify Audio' option in 'Edit Title'/'AviSynth'. Just insert a negative value to lower.

Bye
    MrC

AVStoDVD Homepage
    Quote Quote  
  30. ...
    Last edited by jovopros; 15th Aug 2013 at 18:08.
    Quote Quote