VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I know what "Video aspect ratio" is, and i know what "Pixel aspect ratio" is too, but I can't understand why "Pixel aspect ratio" is needed? There are many TVs that have not 1.000 "Pixel aspect ratio", they have stretched pixels instead of square pixels. non-square pixels represent image stretched and ugly, disfigured. (I hate stretched and non-natural images)

Well, I think that only video aspect ratio is needed for image presentation, and pixel must be necessarily square. what would you say about it?
    thanks...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you really knew what they were, you would not post such rubbish.

Non-square pixels only exist AFAIK for dvd-playback. They are there to ensure that your 720*576 pixels correctly display for either a 4:3 image or a 16:9 image.

The stretching that you refer to is probably the result of not displaying a 4:3 image as 4:3. People do not like the left/right borders so 'stretch' to compensate and 'fill' the screen'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LeoKac View Post
    Well, I think that only video aspect ratio is needed for image presentation, and pixel must be necessarily square. what would you say about it?
    thanks...
    What you say is incorrect. Non-square pixels are used in most SD digital video standards and even for HD on occasion.

You're confusing badly set up televisions with pixel aspect ratio.

Take a typical example; 720x576 16:9 SD video. If you get out a calculator you'll see that 720x576 won't give a 16:9 image (assuming square pixels). That's because the pixels aren't square. They need to be stretched horizontally to get a 16:9 image with the correct proportions.

You can ask why 720x576 is used instead of 1024x576 (which would be 16:9 square pixel) - that would be a valid question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    More info:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/323530-please-explain-SAR-DAR-PAR

A simplistic overview; A standard definition camera creates a 16:9 video which then gets distorted/squashed to fit a 720x576 frame. This gets transmitted digitally on satellite, cable or stored on DVD. Then when the video is viewed, a TV should see the embedded aspect ratio information and un-distort the video to the correct proportions. It's at this point that the pixels effectively get stretched and become rectangular.
    Quote Quote