VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am reading about avisynth filters and which ones I would use to fix which types of problems. Do I use the filters on a video that shows the issue? like for example jagged edges? or do I use the filter on the source dvd that doesn't have that problem before it ends up in the resulting video file?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Emoticorpse View Post
    or do I use the filter on the source dvd that doesn't have that problem before it ends up in the resulting video file?
    If the problem isn't in the source, it shouldn't be in the resulting video either. Maybe you're doing something wrong to the source. Something like deinterlacing it when an IVTC is called for. If you have a specific problem, maybe upload a small piece of the source, one that shows the problem after being reencoded. Then maybe detail how you got from the source to the resulting video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I uploaded a small clip so you can see what I'm talking about http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fh4t5n2xw87h42d. Now that I think about it the jagged edges (not sure what they're called) are in the original DVDs just not as noticeable I guess because the quality is higher and I would like to do my best do fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Emoticorpse View Post
    I uploaded a small clip so you can see what I'm talking about http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fh4t5n2xw87h42d. Now that I think about it the jagged edges (not sure what they're called) are in the original DVDs just not as noticeable I guess because the quality is higher and I would like to do my best do fix it.
    Thanks for the sample, even though it's not from the DVD. But it does show the problem, if you're referring to the aliasing on the dentist's shoulder and on his dental instrument. It's most likely due to the deinterlacer you used, although most leave behind artifacts like that. I'm assuming it's been deinterlaced by you. It was you right, and not the DVD makers?

You didn't explain how you made that video. If the source is interlaced, then use the best deinterlacer available, one such as:

QTGMC( Preset="Medium").SelectEven. #or SelectOdd, if it looks better

If it's progressive but still aliased on the DVD, then try and fix it with something like:

QTGMC( "Faster", TR0=1, TR1=1, TR2=1, InputType=1 )
    Quote Quote  
  5. When I made this set of dvdrips I used autoGK and it automatically did it's thing? I know it does de interlace but I now understand that they set it up with a bad deinterlacer? I am going to do a fully new rip and am trying not to run into the same problem.
    Quote Quote  
  6. If the aliasing is in the original DVD , you can use an antialiasing filter
    http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/External_plugins#Anti-aliasing

But it's interlaced it might be hard to determine if there is actually aliasing in the source, because your software or hardware deinterlacing upon playback might be causing it - you have to view separated fields to determine this . If there is no aliasing in separated fields, then QTGMC on the original source might be enough to take care of it

If you don't know, then post a sample of the source
    Quote Quote  
  7. Oh, AutoGK. Yeah, it uses LeakKernelDeint which is a decent and very fast deinterlacer, but it does leave behind aliasing artifacts of the type you noticed. I wouldn't recommend taking the AutoGK created AVI and then reencoding it again to remove the artifacts. Best would be for you to start at the beginning and deinterlace it better yourself, perhaps followed by one of the the anti-alising filters to which pdr pointed, if necessary.

I doubt the aliasing is in the source DVD (although it's possible), but shows up when being played because of whatever deinterlacer your software player is using. I wouldn't guess you'd notice it when playing the DVD through a standalone DVD player to your TV set.
    Quote Quote  
  8. HEre is the same piece from the original DVD. http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?395c4nh3ual556d I used VideoRedo for the cutting which doesn't do recompression. BTW This is the original retail copy of the dvdset of strangers with candy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Interesting, when I click on the link, MediaFire says:

Permission Denied.

This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire.
    Since it's only a small piece, one would think Fair Use applies and it would be OK. If it's less that 30MB (I think) you can upload it here. You can remove the audio and get just the M2V with DGIndex. Or maybe you have a way of your own to get rid of the audio and also get the M2V size down if the size is too large.
    Quote Quote  
  10. That really blows... At least I didn't get kicked off the forum I wasn't trying to break any rules. I just set an FTP server up real quick so you can download that clip manono. Is that allowed or will I get beat up by a Videohelp moderator?. I will give a link after any reply.
    Last edited by Emoticorpse; 1st Sep 2012 at 14:48.
    Quote Quote