VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I accidentally deleted a video file in JVC everio camcorder. I didn't use that camcorder again. I've been searching for days to look for recovery software and ways to get the file back. I was able to restore the file which was broken into 183 .MTS files each 6s long. But when I tried to merge them. I found that there're problem in the beginning of each file. It seems that I cannot work on these file to get back the ~22 mins .MTS file. So I tried remo recover, which seem to work well as I could file the name of the file I deleted. The restored file looks OK too, as it's 4.18GB in size. But when I tried to open it and import to imovie. I couldn't. VLC shows 0s.

Now I am running out of time. When I stopped by this forum, I thought someone help may help. So I am here. I have all the 183 broken files and the lately recovered 4.18GB MTS file with me. Possible to get my video back from them?

Your help would be deeply appreciated!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    open the file with a hex editor or even notepad. is it mainly 0's?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thank you for your prompt reply. I tired to open it with TextEdit, but failed.
    Any other thing I can try?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    notepad. if that fails also you should right it off and toss them in the recycle bin.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  5. sorry, i'm using mac. no notepad. but textedit do the same thing.

do you mean that there's no way I could have the file back?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sounds like it's too messed up to even open. you could try some of the pay software like - http://www.grauonline.de/cmsimple2_6/en/
    but it doesn't sound like anything will fix it.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  7. oh, no...

I've already tried some pay software. And that's how I get those 183 broken files and the look-like-ok 4GB file. Do you know if there's any software that help me to clean up those broken files. Since I can open it, it's just some blank look at the beginning of each clip.

thanks anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could post a small one here for people to check - see below upload files/ as you post.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  9. sorry, I thought I have to give up. so haven't been checking here for a few days.

Here's the file. Hope can help. Thanks a million!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to successfully play this file using recent mpc-hc.
    The video was 7 seconds and showed a lady sitting on a chair.

Also, Graphedit could play it. Were you supposed to posting a bad file?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Yes, I can play it too. The problem is I have 183 files like this and they altogether form a 22 min clip that was deleted. When I merged them, it happened that some blank period at the beginning of each file. This made the merged clip likes blinking every 5/6 seconds. Do you know what I mean? Sorry I am not good in explaining it in English.

Now I hope to merge these file to recover the one I lost. As the whole recovered file which is over 4GB cannot play at all.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I converted them to MKV using GDSMUX and merged them with MKVMerge. The finished file had no pause,
    but did show a slight corruption at the join. Perhaps there is a setting in MKVMerge that may be responsible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you could also try Mpg2cut to multiplex or TMPGEnc the files would have to be converted to mpg ofcoures I know what you mean winavi does this to anoying the other two I meationed in my experence dont blinking men in tights : ) hope you get it sorted out
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks a lot! But only MKVMerge has mac version. How can I convert mts to mkv using mac? streamclip works?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry cant help you there all the best from slightly confused
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You might be able to do it using the OS X version of Handbrake. (I haven't tried it, myself (in terms of trying to create an MKV from an MTS), so no guarantees. )
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote