VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am wondering if anybody has experience using Windows DVD Maker with Mpeg2 files, and if I can get some input as to how much processing/encoding I can expect.

First, here is my goal: To record video on a Sony AVCHD camcorder, directly to chip in Mpeg2 SD format (720X480), copy the Mpeg2 files to my computer, import them into Windows DVD Maker, author to DVD without menu's or anything else, other than chapter stops every 10 minutes. I simply want to end up with DVD's that can be played on any DVD player by inserting the disc and pushing play (or have it auto start).

My typical DVD would be just under 4 gigs with just under 2 hours of video (DVD5).

Am I correct that the quickest way, with minimal encoding, etc., would be to use Mpeg2 files at 720X480? I think the camera can do both 60i and 30p, I am not sure which of those two would work best.

Obviously authoring time is dependent on many things, including the speed of my system, RAM, etc. But I would expect the authoring process to go fairly quickly using the method above, since the Mpeg2 files would require minimal if any encoding.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure windows dvd maker reconvertes everything.

I would try some other authoring application like the basic muxman if you don't need menus.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even Mpeg2 to Mpeg2??? That sounds weird. I guess I wont really know until I get the camera and try it. I will also try muxman, thanks.
    I trust you, Baldrick, you've been here a little longer than I ; )

You da man!
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    Even Mpeg2 to Mpeg2??? That sounds weird. I guess I wont really know until I get the camera and try it. I will also try muxman, thanks.
    I trust you, Baldrick, you've been here a little longer than I ; )

You da man!
    Yeah, I think he's been around longer (since he created this site).

I would not be at all surprised if it re-encoded everything. But there's no guarantee that what you THINK is standard MPEG2 from your camcorder is truly DVD-compliant, and if it actually isn't you would need to reconvert in ANY program.

Which one works best? Depends on what you are going to do with it and what you are shooting, but I'd strongly recommend that you stick with 60i (aka 29.97, interlaced) and NOT 30p, unless you were specifically and ONLY going to web use (like youtube).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I was being facetious. I know who Baldrick is.

So 60i, huh? Thanks. These videos are played on DVD players, never to Youtube. As I said, I just want the fastest way to go from the camera's Mpeg2 file to a DVD that can be played on any DVD player.

Right now I use a Sony PD150 connected to a Sony DVD recorder through Firewire. The Recorder has a hardware encoder so it happens in real time (I don't use tape at all. At the end of a shoot, I have ready to go DVD's. But I have to bring a lot of equipment to each shoot.

With a new camera recording directly to a chip in Mpeg2 format, I can eliminate a lot of the equipment I use in the field, but once I'm home I'll have the extra work of creating the DVD's there. I want to keep the time required minimal. I don't want to get home from a shoot and have to work all night.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Budget?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Budget?

Scott
    For what? Camcorder? Authoring program?

I'm looking at two cameras right now, both Sonys. HDR-AX2000, and the HXR-NX5U.
    Both can record SD Mpeg2 files to SD cards. The NXSU can record SD and HD simultaneously.

Panasonic has the AG-AC130A, but it doesn't create Mpeg@ SD files. It does DV files in SD quality, and I'm sure processing time for the authoring program would be much greater.

I currently have Pinnacle Studio 14 which can author DVD's, but I'm not sure about the processing time or quality. I've used it for editing video and it does a decent job for family stuff.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I finally got around to downloading Muxman.

It does not appear to have the ability to import mpeg2 files directly, rather, you need to demux first. Is this correct?
    when I try to open an Mpeg2, it does not even show up in the "Usable video files" window.

Already this requires an extra step! So I need to use a de-muxing program first, to create my source files???

If so it fails my "easy and fast" test.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then maybe Simple DVD Creator.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, you mega super moderator!
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried it with a 2 hour Mpeg2 9Mbps file. It only took 13 mins to create a DVD folder on my HDD!!!

But I do not see any way to have it re-encode the file to fit on a DVD5. Does it have this capability???
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. Then use a converter like avstodvd. Or shrink the simple dvd creator output with dvd rebuilder or dvd shrink
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Nope. Then use a converter like avstodvd. Or shrink the simple dvd creator output with dvd rebuilder or dvd shrink
    Actually Simple DVD does have a setting to reduce file size. I created a Video_TS folder from an 8.5GB Mpeg2 file that resulted in a 4400 meg DVD.
    I am burning it with ImgBurn now and will check it on a DVD player in a few...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by leebo View Post
    I am burning it with ImgBurn now and will check it on a DVD player in a few...
    Pay particular attention to how smooth panning shots appear on the shrunk version. I've no idea what method the software you're trying uses to shrink it down that far, but anything more than around a 30% shrink with DVDShrink messes up motion so badly with all of the PAL discs I've tried it with that it makes me want to puke.

...which is why I gave up, built a PC media centre and got into XviD then x264 in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I'm using it for depositions, which are similar to interviews. No panning. Just a talking head.
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote