VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Okay,I'm on about a 200$ budget.
    I know Sceptre is off-brand but they seem to be cheap.
    I have looked through some reviews and compared some.

My prime choice is:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-LED-720p-60Hz-HDTV-1.88-ultra-slim-E325BV-HD/17013297
    because it is led,and the contrast.

My second:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-LCD-1080p-60Hz-HDTV-X325BV-FHD/19793560
    because of 1080p

My third:http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-Class-LCD-720p-60Hz-HDTV-X322BV-HD/15739136
    because of the value.

Edit:If you can,please post a tv at least 24"(prefer 27") and is in my budget of 200$.
    Quote Quote  
  2. How far away do you watch from? That will determine whether you will be able to see much difference betweein 720p and 1080p. Use the chart at this web site as a guide:

http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/
    Last edited by jagabo; 28th Aug 2012 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    The problem with the '720p' one is that it isn't 720p, it's 768, so absolutely everything you're ever going to watch on it will get a rescale, and quite possibly a lousy one at that if personal experience of the budget end of the TV market is anything to go by. I've yet to see a single TV claiming to be 720p that actually is. At least with the 1080p TV you can watch video with a vertical resolution of 1080 without a rescale, assuming you can disable the overscan.

Unless you have a viewing distance of greater than 3 metres, 1366x768 on a 32" TV also means that you're quite likely to be able to discriminate every individual pixel if you have good eyesight (well, I could on mine), and that can drive you nuts in itself as everywhere you look after watching TV for a while can carry a 'screen door' effect until your eyes recover. I really wouldn't go there.
    Last edited by Slipster; 28th Aug 2012 at 09:00.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Slipster View Post
    Unless you have a viewing distance of greater than 3 metres, 1366x768 on a 32" TV also means that you're quite likely to be able to discriminate every individual pixel
    I'd say 2 meters with a 32" TV, not 3.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    I'm only going on personal experience with 20/20-ish vision. Less than 20/20 does push it up, yes, but your eyes still have budget rescaling of absolutely everything you ever watch to contend with that may give you the urge to sit further away rather than barfing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All I can say is that based on my experience the vast majority of US consumers, and perhaps this is also true elsewhere, just watch EVERYTHING in 16:9 and don't complain even when the image is clearly stretched. Most people just aren't very fussy about TV. The OP should not expect miracles for that kind of money but he's a newbie and it could be that those TVs are "good enough" for him.

I would go for the 2nd choice, the 1080p one, if it was me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm actually trying to compare if the 1080p is better but less contrast,or if I should get the LED tv with a better contrast.
    I will probably go with the 1080p.
    This is for a room with a tv that is damaged(Ir sensor is messed up and the tv is a 19" OLD tv),soI'm fine spending more money,about 50$ more than a 24-27" tv.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You're missing the point.

Whether you can see any difference between 720p and 1080p depends on how far away you are. If you normally sit 10 feet away you won't see any difference between 720p and 1080p (all else being equal) on a 32" screen.

Better contrast will look better at any viewing distance. Although you can't really believe anything manufacturers say about contrast. You have to see the TVs for yourself or find independent third party reviews where the measure the contrast under controlled conditions. What you're really interested in is the black level -- how dark pure black is on the display. Especially when you watch at night.

If you sit 10 feet away you will be better off with a 720p display with better contrast (darker black level). If you sit 3 feet away you will want 1080p so you don't see the individual sub-pixels. In between those distances you have to decide which is more important to you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Better contrast will look better at any viewing distance. Although you can't really believe anything manufacturers say about contrast. You have to see the TVs for yourself or find independent third party reviews where the measure the contrast under controlled conditions.
    Exactly!

You can pretty much ignore any figure of over 1500:1 as marketing bullshit as that's all any budget panel is going to be capable of. 'Contrast ratio' and 'dynamic contrast ratio' are two entirely different things, although some manufacturers choose to quote the dynamic contrast ratio (often millions-to-one) as just "Contrast Ratio', which it plainly isn't.

Depending upon the cleverness of the dynamic contrast control algorithm, some are less annoying than others with their ramping up and down of the backlight brightness to fake contrast that isn't there, but many I've watched are just totally unbearable and, quite frankly, look broken unless you can disable it or at least choose a low setting.

Enabling dynamic contrast on even some relatively high-end TVs can cause blacks to plummet off into the gloom and whites to crush chronically as they also mess with the panel drive in terms of brightness and contrast. I've no idea what the idiots who came up with these systems were thinking, but it certainly couldn't have been anything to do with increasing realism as it almost always achieves the exact opposite.

In short, go and look at them and try to watch them for a while at your normal viewing distance. Nobody else can tell you how much image mangling is tolerable to you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Ok,so I'll be about 7-12 feet away,so I'm guessing I should get the 720p LED?
    I also use it usually in a darker room,but not exactly in night lighting all the time.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Also,this is my first T.V. purchase,so I'm unsure of the importance of LCD or LED(I think they are same thing ,but different back lighting)
    and if 720p and 1080p should factor into whether I should get a 720pLED or 1080pLCD.
    Quote Quote  
  12. They both use liquid crystal display panels. LCD TVs use fluorescent back-lights, LED TVs use LED back-lights (or edge-lights). LEDs consume less energy and should last longer. Though they often don't provide as even lighting.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I've looked at the link u gave me(thanks) So it seems I should choose the 720pLED,Ty guys for the help.
    Quote Quote