VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    hi,
    i've made a home video on my dslr, ive done all the editting on Adobe Premiere Pro, i've exported the file to burn on dvd, but i would like to know is there any software i can buy to make a dvd menu for the home video with-out re-coverting the video file again. just wana make or dvd menu!

i do not wish to use Adobe encore.
    cheers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    DVD is MPEG2 video.....period. If your camera does not record in MPEG2 then it WILL need "re-coverting".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What I think hech54 wa trying to say was that you have multiple steps to get to dvd. Capture->Edit->Export to Dvd-Compliant file (mpeg2 as mentioned above)->Author->Burn.
    What you have done so far is the first 2 steps, and possibly the third (though we cannot tell for sure as you gave too little info).
    Any app that can output a picture file (bmp, png,jpg,etc...) can be used to create the assets needed for the menu(s).
    At that point, you need to author. Encore is one, but if you don't like it for some reason there are others. Then burn with Imgburn.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. I like TMPGEnc DVD Author, but it's been replaced by TMPGEnc Authoring Works. They won't re-encode DVD compliant video, but TMPGEnc Authoring Works can convert non-compliant files.

You may already have a program that can do what you're looking for, If you have Nero. Look for Nero Vision Express through Windows start menu. It can convert video too, but if the file is DVD compliant it will use it as is.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Sarah84 View Post
    hi,
    i've made a home video on my dslr, ive done all the editting on Adobe Premiere Pro, i've exported the file to burn on dvd
    If it is exported in MPEG2 format (and your post seems to indicate this) then, indeed, you do not need to re-encode again.

If it is not exported in MPEG2, you will necessarily have to re-encode.

but i would like to know is there any software i can buy to make a dvd menu for the home video with-out re-coverting the video file again
    I've personally used two that do not re-encode if you provide a DVD-compliant MPEG2 file.

The first is TMPGEnc DVD Author 3. When you make the DVD at the end, you know whether it re-encodes or not by the time it takes to make it. If it takes 5-10 minutes then it has not re-encoded. If it takes an hour or more, it has re-encoded.

The second is DVD-Lab Pro. It does not do any encoding, period (unless you use the utility that comes with it). It only accepts MPEG2 files.

Both can create menus as well. In my case, i like to use a single motion menu that points to the various clips that i include in the DVD. They both can do this. DVD-Lab is more complicated but has a guide here i believe, to do motion menus. TMPGenc is simpler but finding a guide is hard. You have to go in the settings in "Global DVD menu settings" to change various things, first and foremost the Firstplay to change it to the menu instead of "play all tracks", which skips the menu when you put it in a DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If you want a free program that does not re-encode either (if it does not have to), there is AVStoDVD, with the long thread on this forum with the author of the program participating in it.

I passed a MPEG2 file to it and it did not re-encode it.

It seems to re-encode when ffmpeg is giving encoding times, but it is only converting it to VOB files without actually re-encoding. You know this by the time it takes. It converted (without re-encoding) a 500MB file in about 10 seconds, which shows that it did not have time to actually re-encode anything. If it had, it could have taken 30+ minutes instead.

Encoding takes time, so if it is very quick, then there is actually no encoding taking place.

I know the program has motion menu options but i have not used them. You might also suffer from a lack of guides. With all the support it has (including on this forum), i was surprised that i couldn't easily find tutorials.
    Quote Quote