VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Everybody. New user here.

I was wondering if anyone could help me please. I have the Honestech VHS to DVD 4.0 Deluxe system. I have some old VHS tapes that I wanted to import and re - edit. I use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit my videos.

Premiere Pro doesn't seem to recognize the Honestech hardware so I am unable to capture directly into Premiere Pro. I have to use the Honestech software interface, which creates an MP4 file, and then bring that into Premiere Pro.

Does anyone know if there is anyway around this? Has anyone been able to use to Honestech to capture directly into Premiere Pro?

Any thoughts or feedback greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Think not.

AFAIK Premiere only captures in DV format. I guess that capture device - by its name - prepares mpg files NOT mp4 files as you wrote.

And if you have a mp4 file then I suggest you take a closer look at the capture sofware as you will not want to try to edit these.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a link to a page that lists what is needed for capture to work in Permiere Pro, http://premierepro.wikia.com/wiki/Capture and it only mentions DV.

If Honestech's software and encoding options aren't acceptable for capture, there are other options, paid and free. Cyberlink PowerDirector editor and Magix Movie Edit seem to work with many USB capture devices . I think both offer a free trial. There is free software that can work too. Virtualdub and AmaRecTV are popular free choices that use free VFW encoders.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you very much to both of you. You're right. The Honestech software does capture mpg files. I will also check out the other links. Thank you very much.
    Quote Quote