VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

I was watching a Rhiana video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxt_v0WF6Y

and @2m mark she kind of stomps and the whole video shakes and some kind of zoom/ blur happens. I canīt explain it better, if you watch the video the effect happens from 2m to 2m 06s.

Does anyone know how i can replicate it using free video editors? Im not in a hurry to do it, so take your time

Thanks
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  2. This is easier to do with a regular NLE (something with a timeline) - but there aren't very many good free video editors . Maybe videopad, vlmc, lightworks beta, blender's vse

All this effect involves is moving the frame manually (keyframes), and adding "cheap" motion blur (they actually used frame blending, it's not "real" motion blur). There are plugins and scripts that automate all of this, but it literally takes a minute to do in a NLE manually

The requirement is your footage is larger (in terms of dimensions) than the timeline dimensions (otherwise you get black borders around the edges as the frame moves) . You can make it larger by scaling it up (of course it will be softer)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    uhmm thanks for the idea poisondeathray, i think i have an old edit videostudio version on a cd somewhere lol.

Bare with me on this as i dont have much experience on editing with NLE, if you have the time and patience can you make a quick screencast on how to do it? or perhaps point me a tutorial?

My sister has local dance group and the kids wanted to do a video and this effect would look good with their coreography. Its a one time thing.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I don't have videostudio, but it should be able to do what you want

I'm not going to make a screencast, but I can try to help you along.

If you examine frame by frame over that section it will be more clear you will see what is going on
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    all i have done with NLE's was "light editing "the kind everyone does when they try a NLE, ill download the video and take a closer look with avidemux.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Avidemux /vdub - those types of editors won't be able to do this easily (if at all). You need an editor where you can access position keyframes

Keywords for typical tutorial (e.g. on youtube) you want to search for are wiggle effect, quake, twitch, camera shake.... those sorts of key words
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    what i meant was that i was going to use avidemux to play that video frame by frame to see what happens, the effect needs to be done with something else

i think i have a rough idea, the video is split just before the stomp, after the split it gets scaled up for brief moment and then the video is split again and then it gets back to normal size

I know the wording i used is not the best but am i right?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by ricardouk View Post

i think i have a rough idea, the video is split just before the stomp, after the split it gets scaled up for brief moment and then the video is split again and then it gets back to normal size

Size (or scale) actually isn't adjusted much in that example, it's more up/down/left/right

Another option is to use a trial sony vegas version. Because it's popular software there are dozens of tutorials on "camera shake" on youtube that show you step by step

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd5nzqZHGC8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AFl6-p2B_8
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    just watched it, thanks for all the info, edit videostudio can do that, not the same interface but it can be done, if it doesnt work i'll use the sony trial.

Thanks a lot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess they're running out of ideas in H'wood, because that one stinks, IMHO. Just a lot of jittering for nothing. I don't see the art or skill there, sorry.

It does seem to be a simple "in and out", but the jitter is more pronounced around an outer "ring". Perhaps a deform in there too, no?

I think some frames are getting dropped too. How many? They probably played with it and varied it. It's almost like a faux "Hitchcock Zoom". Where the background goes crazy but the center stays somewhat normal.

In fact, I think IT IS a modified "HZ".

Side Note: Is there a NipSlip here?
    Last edited by budwzr; 20th Aug 2012 at 21:14.
    Quote Quote