VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I have used Sony Digital Audio CD-Rs for years now. They have recently gotten cheaper (In quality). I noticed a new surface, but thought nothing of it, until I started getting bad burns. I had a few older CD-Rs laying around with the old surface and no problems at all, so I doubt if it's my CD Recorder. Conclusion: the new surface means new results. Trash!!! Please recommend a new brand that is reliable. I have a Pioneer CD Recorder. I used to use TDK many years ago until they changed their quality. Are Maxell decent?

Thanks,
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Define what you mean by "CD recorder". Do you mean a true standalone CD recorder (I actually have one myself) or are you using the wrong terminology to talk about a CD burner in your PC? It's very important that you specify which you mean.

If you mean one of those ancient standalone recorders then you have very little choice and you basically have to buy whatever media you can still get your hands on for the device. If you mean a CD burner in a PC then I'd recommend either Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim. Verbatim uses AZO dye in their DataLifePlus CD-R series and this MAY (nobody really knows yet as not enough time has elapsed) provide superior longevity for the discs. Most likely you will need to order these discs online although a few retailers like Micro Center may have them. rima.com and supermediastore.com sell both Taiyo Yuden and the DataLifePlus discs by Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is a Stand Alone Pioneer CD Recorder. Sorry, I thought I did specify by stating Digital Audio & CD Recorder, which is needed in Stand Alone CD Recorders. I am aware that you can use either for a PC. I use this device because I like to Equalize the tracks as well as bring the volume up. I guess Sony has gotten cheap, quality wise. The way my TDKs did.
    Last edited by V Bot; 18th Aug 2012 at 00:03.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I agree with Jman. We only use Taiyo Yuden for duplication - the failure rate is almost zero for us. We've got a range of older and much newer duplicators and we use this brand exclusively without any issues. If you're in Austin, feel free to stop by and we'll give you a couple so you can try them out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've said this before and I'll say it again.
    Just think of all of the things we can do with video thanks to stuff like DVDDecrypter, DVDShrink, DVDFab and ALL of the related software that comes after using the above........and you mean to tell me that nobody ever came up with a way to add a little something(via a computer burner) to a CD-R to make it "look like" a Music CD Recordable in order to fool CD Recorders?
    I never understood that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That info is probably a barcode in the BCA (burst cutting area), which is stamped at the manufacturers & read by readers but is inaccessible to burners.
    Similar to "ROM Mark".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    V Bot - Not your fault but we get posts here all the time from people who don't correctly describe what they mean so I felt like I couldn't take you at face value because standalone CD recorders are VERY unusual and you and I are probably the only people here who have them. Since you meant what you said and said what you meant I stand by my advice that you have no choice but to buy whatever you can get your hands on.

Verbatim still makes Music CD-Rs and BH Photovideo has them:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/500662-REG/Verbatim_96155_Music_CD_R_700MB_Disc.html
    I don't believe that Taiyo Yuden has ever made Music CD-Rs. They are VERY fussy about what they make and they actually make very few different types of media. Verbatim is as good as it's going to get for your old recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    But, IIRC, they (Verbatims) SHOULD work ok.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all replies. I use the stand alone because I can monitor the record levels and EQ better than I could (Or have figured out how to) than with my PC. I know these things are going out the door, but I am currently looking at getting a TEAC recorder soon (Stand alone). If the bottom of the CD-R is Blue or Dark Green, no problem, if it is light green or gold, issues. Must be cheaper materials. TDK used to be the only thing I used, Sony was the second, now they are both bad. I'll have to check around for the recommended CD-Rs.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's a surprising number of different dyes that CD-Rs can use, all of which are within spec. This accounts for the color differences. The light green and gold discs that give your recorder problems are using phthalocyanine dye. Silver colored CD-R dyes also are of this type. This dye has excellent longevity characteristics but on the downside it is harder to write to. It would seem that your recorder is one of those that can't write to it without adjustment. Such is known. Verbatim uses AZO dye which is dark blue, by the way.

I still use my old recorder to get stuff of LP onto CD-RW and then I use my PC to edit it and do noise reduction (get rid of pops and clicks) as this method is the most convenient way for me to get stuff off LP. But I only record from LP a few times a year so it's not something I do very often.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I still have a stack of Philips Music CDRs here....somewhere. My wife had a Philips recorder before we married.
    I had/have a CD recorder in America....Pioneer maybe?....I forget.
    And a Sony MiniDisc recorder as well.
    I recently found out that my wife's Sony PS-LX250H turntable can run directly into my Hauppauge USB - LIVE capture stick without an amplifier in-between and record perfectly.....VERY happy camper.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a turntable (USB)/RCA interface. Have yet to use it. Got it at KMart for $20.00 on clearance. I've just been so busy and not being able to trust my CD-Rs really bites. I start making a cd and then after a few tracks, the disc reads ERROR. I may get through a whole cd without error, but I am now just tired of spending the time EQ-ing and so on. Just not very confident in the CD-Rs.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM

Did the Pioneer recorders require MUSIC CDRs?
    Was there ever a recorder that accepted regular CD media?
    I honestly forget.

The Terapin VCD Recorder maybe? I had one but never used it for music recording.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post

Did the Pioneer recorders require MUSIC CDRs?
    Yes. I have one. It refuses to record to non-Music CD-Rs.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Was there ever a recorder that accepted regular CD media?
    I honestly forget.

The Terapin VCD Recorder maybe? I had one but never used it for music recording.
    The CD audio recorders all required Music CD-Rs because the music industry said that by charging extra for the special media they would give the proceeds (ha ha - that's really what they said) to the artists to compensate them for people making copies of their CDs instead of buying them.

From what I remember reading about the Terapin it used normal CD-Rs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Had a terapin at work - it used regular data cdrs. IIRC, so did our Alesis Masterlink (still one of the best standalone recorders, btw).

I don't know of a single artist (and I've known a few) that could ever claim to have actually received compensation from those surcharges. What a scam!

Op - let us know if the Verbatims or TYs work for you.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Had a terapin at work - it used regular data cdrs. IIRC, so did our Alesis Masterlink (still one of the best standalone recorders, btw).

I don't know of a single artist (and I've known a few) that could ever claim to have actually received compensation from those surcharges. What a scam!

Op - let us know if the Verbatims or TYs work for you.

Scott
    Will do. I'm ordering some Verbatim cd-rs tomorrow.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A stand alone CD recorder should really only be used to record from analog sources and nothing more or less. After you set the correct recording level there should be no need to make any other adjustments while recording.

Anything like normalizing etc. can be done after the fact on a computer.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I still prefer to do it (Normalizing) my way. EQ, etc. I'm very picky about my sound. People say there is no difference in FLAC Vs the actual store bought CD, I think there is. You can hear it! That's another story.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ordered the Verbatim CD-Rs, I'll give an update after I use 'em. Fingers crossed.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, so I got the Verbatim CD-Rs, still having a problem. So it must be the CD Recorder (Insert teardrop here). Here's what I'm ordering on Friday:

http://www.amazon.com/TEAC-CD-RW890-Recorder-Remote-Black/dp/B0045EJZRQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=...words=TEAC+890

This one records on CDs, anyone ever use the USB Recorder (650 Model)?
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
  21. Could the lens simply need cleaning?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's what happens: I put a new CD-R in, record a song or two. When the song is over, it stops and gives me a Disc Error and then says "New Disc" I can't even recover the songs with ISO Buster. I think it's just dead.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yup, sounds pretty bad.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, sounds pretty bad.

Scott

What do you think of the TEAC brand of recorders? CD Recorders (Stand alone). I cannot live without my Recorder.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The TEAC is a piece-of-crap.

I suggest the following:

Product Info Link: http://tascam.com/product/cd-rw900sl/
    Purchase Link: http://www.amazon.com/TASCAM-CD-RW900SL-Slot-loading-CD-Recorder/dp/B000WKW59C/ref=pd_bxgy_MI_text_y

*** EDIT ***
    For $100 more this looks even better: CLICK HERE

However I admit that is getting a bit pricey
    Last edited by FulciLives; 7th Sep 2012 at 21:06.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Shoot! For a smilar price to the Tascam, you can get an Alesis Masterlink off ebay. One of the best damn cd recorders ever made (and doesn't need "Audio" cds).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Shoot! For a smilar price to the Tascam, you can get an Alesis Masterlink off ebay. One of the best damn cd recorders ever made (and doesn't need "Audio" cds).

Scott
    Checking it out now.
    It Started In Texas
    Quote Quote