VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    So I bought Indie Game: The Movie the other day. Helluva documentary! "Download any format," they said. Any format translates to various H264/x264 encodes, but these codecs will not work on my stand-alone player.

What is my best option for converting to XviD? I sometimes do some capturing via DVB-T, demux in Project X, edit in Mpeg2Schnitt, mux in ImagoMPEG-Muxer and encode in AutoGK. This produces appropriate XviD's for playback on the stand-alone player.

I tried MediaCoder x64, but ended up sometimes losing sound when playing on the stand-alone. I have a bunch of other applications installed, but none of them has delivered such stable files as AutoGK. Can I do lossless conversion to MPEG2 (which I think AutoGK takes) in some program or what is my best option for producing a working video file?

/Viktor
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope, you can't do lossless conversion to mpeg2.

But you can try other mp4 to avi converters like freemake video converter (use the "to avi" and dvd player preset) or winff (avi xvid preset) or xmedia recode.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Nope, you can't do lossless conversion to mpeg2.

But you can try other mp4 to avi converters like freemake video converter (use the "to avi" and dvd player preset) or winff (avi xvid preset) or xmedia recode.
    Stupid request of me, lossless converting to MPEG2. These softwares you mentioned, are they riddled with spyware? I love clean software such as AutoGK and the others I mentioned, but I hate the ones with a lot of garbage.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Winff and xmedia recode are clean.

Freemake video converter is bundled with toolbar adware addons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Winff and xmedia recode are clean.

Freemake video converter is bundled with toolbar adware addons.
    I'll postpone that last one then and try the other two. Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd go for xmedia recode myself. That or avidemux, which isn't as easy to use as some but I really like it. Xmedia recode has very good presets and it's quite easy once you figure out the job list stuff in the interface.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake v0.9.3. They dropped .avi and Xvid support after that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smitbret View Post
    Handbrake v0.9.3. They dropped .avi and Xvid support after that.
    I tried that since I had it installed, but it says it's done encoding within a fraction of a second and, of course, there is no output. XMedia Recode made my computer freeze up. And in WinFF I cannot find the XviD support.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a mp4 h264 media player....

Winff should have Convert to AVI and then XVid preset.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Buy a mp4 h264 media player....

Winff should have Convert to AVI and then XVid preset.
    It's not my player...

I got it to work in WinFF, made a 640x352 700 MB file, but it will not play properly on the stand-alone (first faulty XviD file of many working files). The picture freezes or slows down at various places, but the audio is there non-stop.

Something fishy? The framerate seems to be off: VLC says the original (.M4V file) has a framerate of 23.976023.
    Last edited by vieekk; 9th Aug 2012 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use xvid4psp version 5 and for the format profile use "Avi hardware". Also most standalone divx/xvid player support resolution up to 720x480/576 so if your source mp4 is higher than that you will need to adjust that under Video>Resolution.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    Use xvid4psp version 5 and for the format profile use "Avi hardware". Also most standalone divx/xvid player support resolution up to 720x480/576 so if your source mp4 is higher than that you will need to adjust that under Video>Resolution.
    I'm trying with this software now, but there isn't any progress when at the encoding window
    VIDEO ENCODING
    ------------------------------
    Encoding video to: D:\Temp\0001.avi
    XviD 817kbps 640x352 23.976fps (148293 frames)
    ...first pass...
    And then, nothing. I will try WinFF again later and force the correct framerate, but God, how I hate these bloated front-ends sometimes.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vieekk View Post
    Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    I'm trying with this software now, but there isn't any progress when at the encoding window
    VIDEO ENCODING
    ------------------------------
    Encoding video to: D:\Temp\0001.avi
    XviD 817kbps 640x352 23.976fps (148293 frames)
    ...first pass...
    And then, nothing. I will try WinFF again later and force the correct framerate, but God, how I hate these bloated front-ends sometimes.
    Do you have avisynth installed? Xvid4psp requires this.
    Quote Quote