VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a problem with a file of this type - it's just under an hour long.

If I play it from the beginning (either WMPlayer or VLC), it's fine. But if I try to jump to a later point in the video, it sits there "thinking" for ages - maybe 20 seconds or so - and then, when it's finally found the location, the picture and the sound are WAY out of sync. I haven't been able to work out how far out of sync, because it doesn't even seem to be in the right general vicinity.

Anyway, this contrasts starkly with the behaviour of most AVI/DIVX files I've dealt with, which have no trouble in this situation, and are able to jump instantly to any point in the video, with sound and audio in sync.

So is the file corrupt? If so, is there a (preferably free!) tool out there that could diagnose and fix the problem?

BTW, AVIcodec tells me that the video stream is:

"523 MB, 1334 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 640*384 (16:9), XVID = XVID Mpeg-4, Supported"

The audio information says:

"175 MB, 448 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 6 channels, 0x2000 = AC3, Supported".

And the general details for the file are:

"699 MB (699 MB), duration: 0:54:54, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 72 %".

Anyone got any handy tips... ?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. It's missing its keyframe index. Use DivFix.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I tried that, and it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If DivFix didn't work, then you are out of simple solutions. It comes down to either
    1) Just live with it since it's one file and it might take longer to fix it this than to just sit still for 54 minutes and watch it.
    2) Re-encode it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks again. Yes, that's what I suspected. When you say "re-encode it", could you point me in the direction of some straightforward instructions for that? Is it something you can do with free software?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Montaillou View Post
    Thanks again. Yes, that's what I suspected. When you say "re-encode it", could you point me in the direction of some straightforward instructions for that? Is it something you can do with free software?
    Yeah, lots of free software can reencode it. Open it in AutoGK, hit the Advanced Settings and make sure the audio is 'Original' (so it doesn't get reencoded) and the Fixed Width is set for 640 (the original width). In the main window set the filesize (1 CD most likely), add it to the job queue and hit 'Start'.
    Quote Quote