VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi!
    I'm considering getting an iPod classic or maybe one of the even smaller "MP3" players.

My smartphone has "only" 16 GB storage, and it would be neat to have something that directly or through a couple of expansion/memory cards could hold around 100 GB or more.
    And it would be cool if it could also show video (even with a real small screen), for watching stuff while commuting.

Does anyone recommend any player in particular? (Would be nice if it handles 64 GB sd/micro-sd or something like that -- if it's not hardisk-based, like the iPod.)
    There's lots of brands, it seems, Creative, Samsung, Cowon, SanDisk and more. I am open to suggestions.

(All my audio files is AAC with correct ID tags and album art embedded.)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have an iPod so I cannot say this with 100% certainty, but it's my understanding that Apple does NOT allow ANY of its devices to use external storage cards. The iPhone and iPad definitely cannot do this. If you want to watch a lot of video an iPad would be a good way to go, but you would have to be willing to move videos off the device if you need to free up space.

I very strongly recommend that you do not buy one of those cheap Chinese MP3 players that claims to play video because you will find that the video capabilities are misleading and you will probably have to convert every video you have to make it play in reality, even though you will read online that the player will supposedly play your files as they are. That will be a lie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    True, the Apple devices does not accept external storage (I wouldn't need to if it has 120 GB or more). And thanks for the advice, I'll stay clear of the cheap chinese players.)
    My main need for such a device, would be to have all my music with me, so a small size would be more important than a good screen. (I already have an iPad.)
    I guess I would have to reencode stuff to fit the iPod screen anyways, so that's not the deal breaker. But it would be too much hazzle to reencode 100 GB's of AAC music files :-p
    (Some of the players, like SanDisk, seem to be WMA and MP3 only, and for many various players I'm not sure if they would understand a 64 GB flash memory card, if 32 GB is the limit, or just the largest available at the time of production.)
    Quote Quote