VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello guys,

I've been recording files from my satellite box. I assume the format is TS because one file is in TS then the box splitting them into pieces (see link to see my fold and the way they've split them http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/24041946.png/

1)I want to how of a good program that will join them so it's one file.
    2) ALso is there anything where I can compress it but keep the quality? Ambitious I know but I have to ask!

I really need some help because I'm recording everyday this week and I would like to deal with the issue ASAP!

Anyone who can help me I would be much grateful to them

3) I might get sony vegas in a few months but can sony vegas do the job?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    VideoRedo might help. That is the only program I have found that works well with UK HD TV files. I do not know if it can handle the joining. There is a free demo to try, get the H264 version.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by OneVibe View Post
    ALso is there anything where I can compress it but keep the quality?
    No
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I want to how of a good program that will join them so it's one file.
    Try ProjectX
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    First thing to check is if your segmented ts files are encrypted. Try playing them in VLC.

If they aren't encrypted, you could use VideoRedo (not free) to remux to mpeg2 (ps) and then join them. Alternatively, as Hech54 said, you could try ProjectX (free) . I had audio synch problems with ProjectX and HD material and only use VideoRedo now.

2) ALso is there anything where I can compress it but keep the quality? Ambitious I know but I have to ask!
    Short answer no. Research and you'll find out why.

What you want to aim for is a level compression where the quality is acceptable to you. Suggest you use a constant quality based encode using H.264 (mp4, MKV). Give Handbrake a try and play with the Constant Quality setting. The default is 18 but I prefer 20.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by T_Jet View Post
    First thing to check is if your segmented ts files are encrypted. Try playing them in VLC.

If they aren't encrypted, you could use VideoRedo (not free) to remux to mpeg2 (ps) and then join them. Alternatively, as Hech54 said, you could try ProjectX (free) . I had audio synch problems with ProjectX and HD material and only use VideoRedo now.

Short answer no. Research and you'll find out why.

What you want to aim for is a level compression where the quality is acceptable to you. Suggest you use a constant quality based encode using H.264 (mp4, MKV). Give Handbrake a try and play with the Constant Quality setting. The default is 18 but I prefer 20.
    Thank you everyone.

Thanks T-Jet

They don't play in VLC. I realised that for a while. Only Media Player Classic

What does that mean in terms of my hope to join the files?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    What does that mean in terms of my hope to join the files?
    In the time it took to type this you could have at least TRIED ProjectX.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Unfortunately you are just going to have to try things until you find something that works. There is no one size fits all when it comes to processing videos recorded on STBs and PVRs. Each manufacturer has their own way of doing it. If you are lucky they are just splitting the transmission into segments without alteration and you can simply append them. On the other hand some encrypt the files and may add their own header information to each segment.

If ProjectX doesn't work for you then give the trial version of VideoRedo a go.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For joining easily .TS files with freeware: TSSplitter .
    I love ProjectX but I do not like it because it is really complicated.
    For compressing with no quality loss, very little hope.
    You may hope compressing with little quality loss ,but that needs some piece of knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks to everyone for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  11. TS Doctor is the perfect tool to combine .ts files from satellite. It also makes a .ts playable by VLC and others if the original is not (assuming it is not encrypted). The tool also allows to remove additional audio and subtitle streams if wanted.
    Quote Quote