VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I want to be able to rip a DVD to .avi and at the same time hard code two different languages to the .avi file. e.g. Czech at the bottom and English at the top.

Unfortunately, AutoGK gives me the option to hard code one language.

Is it possible to do this? Otherwise, I would need to encode the file twice to achieve this and thus lose quality and time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Rip means to copy the contents from a CD, DVD or BD disc to your PC. That is it. So you cannot "rip to AVI". You mean rip and then convert.

This subject has come up before and there is an AviSynth plugin that can do this, but I don't remember what it is. If AutoGK can accept AviSynth scripts then you may have to use AviSynth to do this. I think there is also a VirtualDub plugin that can do this. If you can find out how to do it in VirtualDub it may be a lot easier to just use it for encoding to AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    I ended up finding a solution using:
    Virtualdubmod
    VOBsub

I used Vobsuc to rip the subtitles into .idx format for Czech and English.
    I then used the vobsub filter in virtualdubmod to add both of these to the film. Then I encoded into .avi

The only problem I have is now when I play it on my TV it's on 4:3 format.

However, When I play the original DVD on my TV it's in 16:9 format.

The resolution on both the DVD and .avi are the same (720x576) so I'm not sure why there is this discrepancy?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by sinth View Post
    The only problem I have is now when I play it on my TV it's on 4:3 format.

However, When I play the original DVD on my TV it's in 16:9 format.

The resolution on both the DVD and .avi are the same (720x576)
    It's not 4:3. It's in the same ratio as the source (720x576), which is 1.25:1 or 5:4.

Either you can set a 16:9 Display AR in something like MPEG-4 Modifier (which might possibly not be honored by your player), or you can resize it to some 1.78:1 resolution, one such as 624x352.
    Quote Quote