VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I've tried various applications, but they all seem to be missing something. What I'm trying to do is convert my MKV collection to MP4. I need the following features however:

- Maintain Original frame rate
    - Maintain Original frame size
    - Adjustable bitrate (so I can get the best possible playable from an XBox as a media center extender)
    - Ability to select subtitle track (e.g. For Avatar when the na'vi are speaking their own language
    - 5.1 audio so I can still play on my main PC.

I have tried the following:

AiseeSoft -> Cant keep original resolution
    AVS Video Converter -> Crashes
    Pavtube -> Cant select subtitles
    SoThink Video -> Cant select subtitles
    Leawo -> Can't select 5.1 Audio (probalby not supported)
    Any Video Converter -> Doesn't support 5.1 Audio

Please could someone let me know of any applications that I could use to achieve this? I'd like to try a few to see what's best for me.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try MKVtoMP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. And why not just de-mux (MKVExtractGUI2) and mux (MyMP4BoxGUI) ?
    No quality loss. Fast
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    And MKVtoMP4 does that in one step.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I've just tried MKVToMP4, but it doesn't seem to show me the subtitles. MediaInfo shows it as having 2 text streams. In some of the other apps I tried I was able to select which stream I wanted. Am I missing something?

I havent tried MKVExtractGuiv2 and MyMP4BoxGui yet, but will give them a go later
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try my TX264.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a really and truly compelling reason for this conversion that is not one of the following?

1) You think MP4 is "better" than MKV. Or one of your "friends" told you this and you believed them (sucker).
    2) You're too cheap to buy something that can handle MKV.

You do understand that the MP4 container has limitations, right? DTS is NOT supported. AAC and AC3 are it as far as audio goes. You're already posting about serious subtitle issues (we got a lot of posts about that with MP4 files) - is there really no way that MKV cannot work for you?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Probably because he's using an xbox for extender (limitations on formats and bitrates for mp4)

- Adjustable bitrate (so I can get the best possible playable from an XBox as a media center extender)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jman98 someone's got told off by his mom today i think.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been using MKV up to date and they have been fine as they are all run on Windows 7 Media Center. The problem is that I now wish to use my xbox as a media center extender. I have tried multiple MKVs that I have and they either stutter, refuse to play or play in very poor quality. I checked online and people recommended using MP4. I tested this with a few different conversions to MKV (Either in stereo or without subtitles) and they played flawlessly, thats why I want MP4.

If you can recommend a way I can reliably get the XBOX to play MKV then I'd be happy for some advice.

BTW: XBox is the slim model connected by 1gb LAN
    Quote Quote