VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for some help please as i am confused........

I have some HD MKV files given to me by a friend as BRRIP's of his own and some he has acquired ( dont know where from )

However i have mkvtoolnix and mkvCleaver and the Associated GUI's that work with it, i can de-Mux and re-Mux files fine so not an entire newbie.

However the Subtitles i really am struggling with >>>> Forced........Default.......Type 0 / 1/ 2/ /3..........PGS.....VOBSUB...........SRT..........U TF8...??

All i personally want is subs that show during the foreign language sections of the film and no other time, i have a subtitle editor but all that seems to allow is timing and text correction.

HELP !!!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. "foreign language sections of the film" those are normally the subtitles that are flagged as forced. If the subtitles are not flagged as forced, you have to figure out which subtitles you want, remove the other subtitles and set the subtitles you want as forced.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Selur

Many thanks for the reply but i am not sure its that simple and i have tried that, have a look at this screenshot from MKVMerge >>>

...............Well sorry that didnt work

Anyway there are 3 english text files - 2 PGS and one UTF8....

????????????

Forced sounds good but doesnt work.........how would it know whats foreign ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. if the subtitles are not tagged with the languages you can only watch in a player,..
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Selur

Thats the problem they are tagged and all 3 tagged as english..............

But 2 are PGS files and One is UTF8 ( and i have SRT files that are subtitle files separately ) i can select Forced all i like but the Subs are either all the time or not at all.

If you had a german language film how would it know to show sections of a subtitle file only say during ( for example ) the russian language dialog?

Hope you see my point...........there is certainly more to it than first seems to be.........
    Quote Quote  
  6. Personally I would open the mkv in the player of my choice (MPC-HC) and select the subtitles one-by-one to check which one I want and then use mkvmerge to throw out all the subtitles I don't want,..
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Selur

Sadly done all that and tried them on the TV as well as WMP but some of the rips are either configured incorrectly ( and i have re-muxed with forced only to find subs full time ) but no good...........

Imagine you had a file lets say X-Men first class ( as i know that has a early section of German speech ) with no subs and you had a srt file.

How do you Mux that file into the end file and make sure it will only play during the parts you want.

I have files that do work fine on the TV and show as required, most but not all seem to be UTF8 files, if you look at subtitle files they have full dialog and i am at a loss to find how they determine a language other than main is being played...........hence the initial post.

Many thanks for the replies but i have tried many options and either it needs a different sub file type to play forced or something different has to be done, i cant believe i am the only one to have this issue
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nobody else any comments ???????????

I know there is a lot of experience here ......................
    Quote Quote