VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Got myself JVC HM-DT100U D-VHS unit to transfer some tapes using firewire connection. For some reason I was thinking that it would transfer in DV/AVI format. But the native transfer format when using a regular VHS tape, appears to be MPEG2 9550kbps video, MPEG Layer2 384Kbps Audio, and a 2nd 1920Kbps PCM audio track. Is anybody familiar with these D-VHS units?
    Is there a way to tweak the video bit-rate as high as possible?
    I believe that I'm noticing small compression artifacts during fast movement.
    HDMI output gives lots of aliasing even when I try to tweak video options. My solution so far is to capture the video using component output to lossless or at least DV, and then encode to AVC/MPEG4 with quality deinterlacing and stuff like that...

Any helpful thoughts will be appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The manual says that Firewire OUT is MPEG2....and 9550kbps with PCM audio MIGHT already be over official DVD specs anyway.
    http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027315&pathId=50&page=3&archive=true

I've captured to 12,000 with my Hauppauge PVR-350 but that is terrible overkill....after all this is VHS we are talking about here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the usual sense yes. But I managed to work some magic with avisynth; few corrections, quality de-interlacing and little upscaling. Which is the main reason I need at least near lossless capture. The final result is a lot better than when viewing the original tape. DVD MPEG2 spec seems to not able to handle smooth 100% artifact free video.
    Quote Quote