VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Not sure why, but the videos downloaded from my wifes camera are all upside down. I do not want to convert it, or loose quality, I just want to save it right side up. I was going to try and re-download it, but my wife had it download and delete, so the upside down copy is my only one. I would prefer open source software if possible, but will consider anything newbie friendly.

I can play it rightside up if I use VLC, but trying to re-save it that way did not work. My wife wants to upload it to her facebook, lol.

I am using linux mint 11.0 so software for that would be best. If not, I do have windows 7 premium too.

Thanks, rojen
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by rojen View Post
    I do not want to convert it, or loose quality,
    Quote Quote  
  3. It's quite common for some players to get confused by some video in some containers and play them upside down (a vertical flip, not a 180 degree rotation). A simple remux might be sufficient. Especially to a different container. Many players have a vertical flip option too. MPCHC, PotPlayer, and VLC, for example.
    Last edited by jagabo; 19th Jul 2012 at 00:15.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand what a simple remux is. I can get it to play right side up in VLC, but I am unable to save it.

I read a post about windows movie player converting it to wmv, but that would involve a substantial quality loss. In that post vlc was mentioned too, but like me they were unable to save it right side up, only play it that way. I just would like the *master* copy to be high quality and preferably right side up.

r
    Quote Quote  
  5. A remux is taking the video and audio out of its current container the putting it back in a container. Like taking a cake out of one box and putting it in another. The problem may simply be that the"box" is labeled incorrectly. What did you do in VLC to make it play right side up? Did it just play the file properly? Or did you use one of the filters like Image Adjust, Transform, or Mirror?

You haven't stated what type of file you have so I can't recommend a particular program to remux. Maybe AviDemux. It can handle quite a few file types, both on input and output.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video is an mp4 created by Samsung Galaxy Note. I flipped it in VLC by using Tools - Effects and Filters - Basic - Rotate 180

It also has flip horizontally available too. The challenge with VLC is that the effect is on playback and does not work in save or save as.

rojen
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The video is an mp4 created by Samsung Galaxy Note. I flipped it in VLC by using Tools - Effects and Filters - Basic - Rotate 180

It also has flip horizontally available too. The challenge with VLC is that the effect is on playback and does not work in save or save as.

rojen
    Try Avidemux
    Audio and video at default "copy" and container as MP4.
    Then "save as" and it will make a new file.

That often fixes glitchy files.

If not, then unselect "copy" for video and use the video filters to flip it and then select the compression; this will process and recompress the file, so it will take longer and degrade the file, but probably not noticeably.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by rojen View Post
    Are you sure that doesn't leave you with a mirror image? Find some text and see if it appear correct. Or are you just shooting with the camera upside down? A rotation would fix that.

The challenge with VLC is that the effect is on playback and does not work in save or save as.
    My point is that there is probably nothing really wrong with your videos. They're not rotated 180 degrees, and they're not vertically flipped. It's just that certain players are getting confused by the way the camera writes the MP4 header. By remuxing (taking the cake out of one box and putting it in another, the cake is exactly the same, only the box is different) you may be able to "fix" the header problems and players will probably play the video properly. Try AviDemux or YAMB (MP4BOX).
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I downloaded avidemux. When I went to open the mp4 a popup said H.264 detected If the file is using B frames as reference it can lead to a crash or stuttering. Avidemux can use another mode which is safe but you will loose frame accuracy. Use that mode? Yes or No. To start I selected no.

I was able to read words on the video if I turned my head upside down without using a mirror, so I guess it is rotated only.

The first try, just copy using avidemux did not fix the glitch.

Second try, I selected H263, since there was no H264 option - left default. Program objected to the size (1280X800), I selected Mpeg4-AVC - again left default. Worked great! Thanks. A bunch. Video is 1/3 of the original size, but I really can't tell the difference.

Personally I think my wife is holding the phone upside down when recording. The phone has an auto rotate feature, so it is not noticeable as upside down until she puts it on the computer. ??? Both some pictures and some videos are upside down, others not. Anyway now it will be easy to fix - again thanks. Rojen
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by rojen View Post
    I was able to read words on the video if I turned my head upside down without using a mirror, so I guess it is rotated only...
    This indicates the problem isn't the player misinterpreting the video header. That would have produced a picture that was vertically flipped, not rotated.

Personally I think my wife is holding the phone upside down when recording... Both some pictures and some videos are upside down, others not.
    Yes, the videos were shot with the camera upside down. That requires the video be decompressed, rotated, then recompressed. Like you are now doing with AviDemux.

I selected H263, since there was no H264 option
    Select "MPEG4 AVC (x264)" -- that's h.264. h.263 is old and was designed for very low bandwidth situations. I don't even see an h.263 option in the version of AviDemux I have.

Video is 1/3 of the original size, but I really can't tell the difference.
    If the videos are important you should use a higher quality setting. I think AviDemux defaults to CRF encoding with a quality value of 20. Look at dark parts of the image. You'll see blocky artifacts or posterization. Or zoom into areas with very small, low contrast details (like the fuzz on a sweater). You'll see a lot of those details are gone. Try changing the quality to the 15 to 18 range (lower values give higher quality and larger files).
    Last edited by jagabo; 21st Jul 2012 at 08:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. How to Rotate a Daum PotPlayer Video 180 degrees to Flip the video.

"Ctrl" + "V": Hold down the Keyboard "Ctrl" key, and press the "V" key. (MicroSoft Windows)

.. or "F5" to bring up the "Preferences" window >> "Video" >> "Video Processing" >> "Flip Input Picture": "OK".
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just use a good video editor like Vegas, Videostudio, etc.
    Quote Quote