VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi

I generally use Subtitle Workshop to create subtitles and usually FAB or SRT formats. They are OK, but now I need to burn some videos to upload them to Youtube and have noticed that the SRT format (which I use to join with the videos) is not very "tidy" in some cases.

I mean specifically this:

..-How are you?
    -Fine. And you?

Thatīs how the SRT appears once I include it in the video (I am using Avidemux or AutoGK for that). As you can see, they are not equally aligned.

I want them aligned to the left, like that:

-How are you?
    -Fine. And you?

I donīt want all the subtitles aligned to the left. Only those when 2 different people talk and the 2 lines are together and start with "-".

What format will allow you to do that simple thing? There are so many different formats included in Subtitle Workshop and they all have different possibilities that I thought the key must be there.

Thanks so much.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    SRT format doesn't have any formatting.
    Colour, orientation, size, font, are all set by the renderer.
    So look for settings in Avidemux or AutoGK that control the appearance of the subtitles.

If you want formatting in the subtitle file itself, use ASS. But Subtitle Workshop can't help you there, you'd need to learn Aegisub. That's what the anime subtitlers use and it has a million special effects.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Nothing's going to do that automatically. You'll have to go through it line-by-line to fix it the way you want. Sounds like a waste of time to me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, Avidemux or AutoGK donīt have those specifications. Avidemux has more possibilities, but not that. I tried to import an SRT I had created to open it on Aegisub and itīs totally corrupted. All the times are changed. Maybe itīs me, but I donīt think I could use that program.

Well, itīs not a waste of time to me. the alignment to the left I mean. Those are short subtitles also. I just would like to know how to do that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Valerc View Post
    I tried to import an SRT I had created to open it on Aegisub and itīs totally corrupted.
    I just tested an SRT by opening it in Aegisub and the timings stayed the same. It's your SRT that's corrupted somehow. Maybe open it and resave it using SubResych (included in VobSub) to see if it then improves.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How could it be corrupted? Itīs just a .txt file. Also, I noticed Aegisub gives strange messages every time I open any file. I am using version 2.19 by the way. Maybe something related to the file being ANSI or UNICODE or that stuff?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I don't know what it's related to. All I know is that I opened one without any difficulty at all. I offered a suggestion to try and fix it, but have no idea if it'll work in your case.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Valerc View Post
    Hi

I mean specifically this:

..-How are you?
    -Fine. And you?

Thatīs how the SRT appears once I include it in the video (I am using Avidemux or AutoGK for that). As you can see, they are not equally aligned.
    I want them aligned to the left, like that:
    -How are you?
    -Fine. And you?
    The first line has a couple of periods before the dash. Is that your problem? Just delete them all with a macro in a text editor.
    Replace "..-" by "-"

Originally Posted by Valerc View Post
    How could it be corrupted? Itīs just a .txt file. Also, I noticed Aegisub gives strange messages every time I open any file. I am using version 2.19 by the way. Maybe something related to the file being ANSI or UNICODE or that stuff?
    "Strange messages" isn't very helpful. Exactly what messages?

You can use Subtitle Workshop to save the file as "SubStation Alpha" (SSA) and then open that in Aegisub.
    (SW can save and read an ASS/SSA file, but can't apply any formatting.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also, if you prefer, you can attach one of the problem subtitle files here, and someone might be able to notice what Aegisub and other renderers don't like about the file.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote