VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have some DVD's in my collection that aren't played like they should be. The original video has an aspect ratio of 4:3. But when I play it in a DVD player, the video is stretched out to a 16:9 aspect ratio.
    This doesn't bother me when watching a movie on DVD. The only thing I have to do is set my TV to 4:3.
    But what to do if ripped DVD reacts this way? Is there a way to convert VOB's to MPEG2 while changing the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 01.48.44.png
Views:	260
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	13078Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2012-07-13 at 01.48.15.png
Views:	246
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	13079
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In one word no.

A 4:3 dvd will be ripped to 4:3 and an mpeg from that will be 4:3. if you want to create a proper 16:9 mpeg out of that you will have to crop the ripped video. Then you lose detail at the top and bottom.

DVD playback is controlled by a combination of your player and your tv. As you found out, if you do not set your tv (and player) correctly you will end up with stretched video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Is there a way to convert VOB's to MPEG2 while changing the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9?
    I thought you wanted to set it to 4:3 but it played as 16:9? That's what your picture shows. Anyway, the DAR (4:3 or 16:9) is usually set in the IFO. The VOBs are (usually) the same in any case, 720x480 or 1.5:1 (for NTSC). The DAR can easily be changed by using PGCEdit. Open the DVD while it's on the hard drive, right-click on the video in question and hit 'Domain Streams Atrributes'. In the new screen change it from 4:3 to 16:9 or vice-versa. Save your work and test out the DVD before burning it back to disc.

VOBs are already MPEG-2 video, so I'm not sure what that part of the question means. And while most players get the DAR from the IFOs, that's not true in every case. Sometimes the VOBs themselves are encoded using the wrong DAR and some players take the DAR from the VOBs themselves even though that's incorrect, I believe. In such cases you'd have to use DVD Patcher to correct the DAR of the VOBs themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes the VOBs themselves are encoded using the wrong DAR
    I think that's the case. So I can solve this with DVD Patcher? Is there something like DVD Patcher for the Mac?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thread moved to the mac forum where you can get more help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The MPEG (VOB) has a DAR embedded, and the DVD VTS also has a DAR specified (in the IFO). On a good DVD these values are the same. But some DVDs are not this good.
    When these DARs differ, the DVD specification says that the player should follow the DAR set in the IFO.
    This setting makes it easy to correct a wrong DAR, by patching the IFO.
    My Mac OS app of choice for this is MyDVDEdit.

If you are concerned about converting to another format:
    A good converter app should follow the DAR in the IFO, but perhaps not all such apps do this.
    Even if the app doesn't, then you can often still correct it by setting the output size manually (disregarding source aspect ratio), stretching the video any way you like. This should get the desired aspect ratio regardless of source. It may take a bit of calculus, depending on features in the converter app of your choice.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HitTheRoad View Post
    Sometimes the VOBs themselves are encoded using the wrong DAR
    I think that's the case.
    This is EXTREMELY unlikely. Your TV, DVD player or both are setup wrong. That is the REAL problem. You are wasting your time trying to "fix" the DAR.

HitTheRoad meant "It's very rare when this happens and there's almost no chance this is your problem" but you have interpreted this to mean "This is 100% for sure absolutely your problem and it cannot be anything else". It's your time to waste, but the odds of this being your problem are less than 1 in 100.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98:
    Still I think it's likely in case DVD's have a mixed content of 4:3 and 16:9 files. For example one DVD I have, Les Paul Live In New York has a content that's mainly 16:9. Two bonus features are 4:3. Still one of them is strechted out to 16:9 on both my DVD players. Ripping this video and convert it to MPEG2, doesn't solve things. Others have put this video on YouTube. There you can see I'm not the only one having this problem. Still it's fun to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFKLwJzMoIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCEmAgak9V8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YA_RINQySU

My Mac OS app of choice for this is MyDVDEdit.
    This is only for correcting complete VIDEO-TS files, isn't it? I tried to correct a MPEG2 I took form a VIDEO_TS, but MyDVDEdit doesn't seem to open MPEG2's.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Bad AR isn't the only thing wrong with them. They're 29.97fps where they were shot on film. Every fifth frame is a duplicate.
    Quote Quote