VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible? i know it might be a silly question but i just want an exact copy from a mkv file to an avi without having to encode, because if i have to i rather record the video on bandicam. Its easier and would take much less time than encoding.

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. why would you want to do this ? Are you asking to re-wrap into AVI container?

You can with something like ffmpeg or avc2avi, but if you are using AVC/h.264 compression in the mkv, you can get problems with the AVI container . Many devices have problems with it (can't play it at all) , and you can get studdery playback (b-frame decoder lag), and green or black frames
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Open in Avidemux.
    Leave video and audio to default "copy" and container to "AVI".
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried on avidemux but how should i convert the video? do i hit just save? i did so but the output video kinda stutters and it cant be rewinded or forwarded either. What can i do?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You leave it in mkv container

You're probably experiencing one of the issues mentioned earlier with h.264 in AVI

Again , why are you doing this ? If you provided more context or information there might be other options
    Quote Quote  
  6. Because i need an avi so i can edit in on virtualdub. I read it was possible to open mkvs on virtualdub but i cant. It says its an unsupported type. I tried on virtualdubmod but the program crashes as i try to save the video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. you can use the vdub mkv plugin or ffmpeg/ffinputdriver plugin to import mkv's into vdub

vdub mkv plugin
    http://fcchandler.home.comcast.net/~fcchandler/Plugins/Matroska/

vdub ffinputdriver
    http://codecpack.co/download/FFInputDriver.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Wow, i tried the vdub mkv plugin and now im able to open mkv files on virtualdub. Thank you. However i cant play them there. Is it normal?
    Quote Quote  
  9. What do you mean "can't play ?" black picture ? no sound ? be more specific...

Do you you have a proper decoder?

No it's not normal

You can try the ffmpeg input driver as well
    Quote Quote  
  10. Nevermind, the second plugin does open and plays perfectly. Thank you!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry for reopening this topic but i got another question that is still related. Now that i have opened the mkv file on virtualdub i added subtitles and logo filters. I want to compress but without losing any of the quality of the original video. Is there a way to have an exact copy of the source video except for the subtitles without being a stream copy? Im using x264 to compress and i tried to set it up in order to match the specs of the source like bitrate and all that but the output still differs from the source. The mkv source file has the following specs:

Overall bit rate : 3 195 Kbps
    Encoded date :
    UTC 2012-04-04 22:24:19
    Writing application : mkvmerge v5.2.0 ('I can't explain') built on Dec 18 2011 18:12:03
    Writing library :
    libebml v1.2.3 + libmatroska v1.3.0
    Attachment : Yes

Video

ID : 1 Format : AVC
    Format/Info :
    Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile :
    High@L4.0 Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames :
    4 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Duration :
    22mn 25s
    Nominal bit rate :
    3 072 Kbps
    Width :
    1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio :
    16:9
    Frame rate mode :
    Variable
    Frame rate :
    30.303 fps
    Original frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling :
    4:2:0
    Bit depth :
    8 bits
    Scan type :
    Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :
    Writing library :
    x264 core 120 r2120 0c7dab9
    Encoding settings :
    cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:1:1 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.40:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=50 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3072 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / vbv_maxrate=6144 / vbv_bufsize=15360 / nal_hrd=none / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60 Default : Yes Forced : Yes

While the output avi file has the following:

File size : 489 MiB
    Duration :
    22mn 25s
    Overall bit rate :
    3 050 Kbps
    Writing library :
    VirtualDub build 32842/release

Video

ID : 0
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info :
    Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC :
    Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames :
    1 frame
    Codec ID : H264
    Duration :
    22mn 25s
    Bit rate : 2 911 Kbps Width : 1 920 pixels
    Display aspect ratio :
    Frame rate :
    29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling :
    4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type :
    Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :
    Stream size :
    467 MiB (95%)
    Writing library : x264 core 89 r1471kMod 1144615
    Encoding settings :
    cabac=1 / ref=1 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x13 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=0 / threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / wpredp=0 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=26.0000 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00 / pulldown=0

As you may see, the oriignal has an overall bitrate of 3195 and a nominal bitrate of 3072 whereas the output has an overall bitrate of 3050 and a bitrate of 2911. Its close but not close enough, some quality was loss. I know i have to increase the bitrate in the x264 codec settings but i dont know how much exactly so i dont get any less or any more but the exact bitrate (if thats even possible). And i cant afford to be testing and testing because it takes so much time to compress. Is there a way to calculate it more precisely?

Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I'm curious but VLC has a record funtion, you plasy something & record it in AVI, would that work?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Now that i have opened the mkv file on virtualdub i added subtitles and logo filters. I want to compress but without losing any of the quality of the original video. Is there a way to have an exact copy of the source video except for the subtitles without being a stream copy?
    Not possible unless you use a lossless format or uncompressed. You are hardcoding subtitles and logo, so you need to re-encode. Re-encoding with a lossy format means you always lose quality

Or you can use soft subs instead. No quality loss. Very fast. No re-encoding

As you may see, the oriignal has an overall bitrate of 3195 and a nominal bitrate of 3072 whereas the output has an overall bitrate of 3050 and a bitrate of 2911. Its close but not close enough, some quality was loss. I know i have to increase the bitrate in the x264 codec settings but i dont know how much exactly so i dont get any less or any more but the exact bitrate (if thats even possible). And i cant afford to be testing and testing because it takes so much time to compress. Is there a way to calculate it more precisely?
    No there isn't a way to calculate it accurately . You definitely need higher bitrate for better quality and or better settings . You're using CRF of 26 (that's pretty low quality) . The most important setting is CRF, try something like 16-20 . Increase the reference frames to 3-4 . The filesize will be much larger, but the quality will be better
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks. Where do i change the reference frames? also, im using the smoother filter. Will that help make the video look like better quality?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Thanks. Where do i change the reference frames? also, im using the smoother filter. Will that help make the video look like better quality?

You're re-encoding the video, you change it in the encoding settings

It's impossible to say anything about "quality" in filtering because that's quite subjective. One thing you can say for sure is smoothing filter will reduce bitrate requirements. Unless the video is very simple like cartoons, I can guess that the video looks poor at 1920x1080 3Mb/s . I would guess any smoothing filter would make things worse (it probably has low details to begin with)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Yes, its cartoons so i dont really notice any major difference unless i use a magnifier glass, and if you do that you can see that the output is never as good as the original even if using the maximum quality settings.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by supercain View Post
    Yes, its cartoons so i dont really notice any major difference unless i use a magnifier glass, and if you do that you can see that the output is never as good as the original even if using the maximum quality settings.

That last part isn't true, because "maximum quality settings" is lossless

1st thing I would do is update your x264vfw , mediainfo shows you are using old build (r1471) , that's >2 years old
    Quote Quote  
  18. Also are you noticing sync issues on the export ? or did you re-wrap the AVI after back to mkv and use timecodes

mediainfo says the souce is VFR

Width : 1 920 pixels
    Display aspect ratio :
    Frame rate mode :
    Variable
    Frame rate :
    30.303 fps

Very few cartoons are 30 fps . This suggests there might be other problems, like duplicate frames choppy playback
    Quote Quote  
  19. I havent noticed any sync issues. Or at least they are not very notorious. Maybe they are to an expert but not to me. All the cartoons videos i have seen so far are 30fps so thats the frame i always use. In fact the raws i got to make the subs are always 30fps so i stick to that frame rate. Is not good?

Also, about my old build of x264vfw. Im using Windows 7 x64 bit. where can i download the latest version from? sorry to ask but i really dont want to **** up. I would like also to use a better format than avi but since thats the format virtualdub is limited to its out of the question. I tried by frame serving to other programs but i got a lot of issues. Maybe you can recommend me a good program to use along with virtualdub so i can encode onto mkv or mp3?

Thanks
    Quote Quote