VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I *think* this is a pretty easy question, but I'll try to include all the information necessary here in case my assumptions are wrong. Let me know if you need more to go on. I ripped some of my episodic DVDs for encoding so that I can store them on my NAS and stream them to TV. I've done this with a few movies already but I haven't had an audio sync issue before. I rip each episode individually with ripit4me/dvd decrypter and then encode with staxrip. I use x264 quality crf for video and aac 5.1 for audio, mkv container normally because I don't really notice a difference with my setup.

So when I run stax and it automatically runs dgindex it detects 41879ms delay and shows the error on the stax gui which gives several suggestions. I went ahead and forced the encode once to see what would happen, and it does appear that there is about a 40 second delay with the audio. So I think I am right in assuming that I just need to trim the audio with dgindex as stax suggests, then select the output file and stax should encode the episode(s) normally. I could figure out how to trim the audio, but I can't figure out how to jump to the right part of the track to trim the right amount of audio off. I'm probably just looking too hard, or else maybe there's something I need to do first. I also tried demuxing the ac3 stream from the VOB but there is no delay, I guess because it doesn't run the indexing process. What am I missing here?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Trismegistus View Post
    What am I missing here?
    Could be several things.

One, does or can StaxRip take the audio delay into account, or do you have to do it yourself?

You can take and remove the delay from the AC3 track using DelayCut.

I think this is what you were asking, but apparently there's something going on before the audio (and the episode) actually begins, some logos or something, or maybe a bunch of black frames with no audio? Those would be separate cells with no audio of their own. If you don't want them you can use the '[' button in DGIndex to skip over them to get to the 'real' start of the episode. That is, begin the indexing after all the useless crap. I don't use StaxRip myself and don't know how it does it. However, I do use DGIndex quite a lot and see this sort of thing from time to time.

There's no way to tell when using DGIndex just where the 41.879 second mark is, so you can trim that much and no more. Me, I wouldn't worry about hitting that exact mark, but would be interested in beginning at the real start of the episode. There should still be a delay, but it'll be much lower and probably negative.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Staxrip takes the delay into account, not me. It gives the following error message:

The audio delay is unusually high, you might have to trim the beginning with DGIndex, demux with ProjectX or rip with MakeMKV. To verify if audio and video are in sync you can right-click the Filters menu and choose 'Play'.

I tried cutting with delaycut but that just cuts forty seconds into the ac3 file that stax made where apparently there isn't a delay. However when I forced it to encode anyways, there is a delay and so the audio is waaay out of sync. I guess the offset must lie somewhere in the indexing but this is getting into an area that I really know nothing about. It really won't work as far as I can tell if I just cut with dgindex as I will basically have to guess and wait until it encodes and see how bad the sync is and try again. I don't have the patience for that so I'm not gonna try. This is frustrating. Thanks for your help though
    Quote Quote