VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys,

My father just told me that he heard from a colleague about new browser called "torch" (?).
    I'm quite suspicious about new things so maybe someone heard of it? and can tell me if it worth downloading?
    He also said its kinda similar to Chrome but with some extra features (video grabber and torrent something)

10x!

BTW - i'm Joe nice to meet you all
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, I've just tried to download the damn installer (TorchSetup.exe), but that evil page returns a 401-error ("authorization required").

Also, they probably didn't care to make Chromium's code less "noob-compliant" , therefore no, thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I think there are Firefox plugins that can do what Torch supposedly does. Not really seeing the point.
    Quote Quote  
  4. These day many of Firefox's extensions are available for Chrome, or there's Chrome alternatives, so either of those browsers will probably do the same. Personally I wouldn't want a browser to handle torrent downloads as I'd prefer a separate program for that, although if the screenshot of the built in torrent client isn't actually utorrent it's a pretty good clone.

Here's the utorrent toolbar for Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/utorrent-status-tool/
    Here's a couple of the better and probably most popular video downloading extensions:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-downloadhelper/
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/netvideohunter-video-downloade/

I couldn't find a download accelerator extension, but I'm dubious as to how much benefit you get from using one anyway.

If you want to add funtionality to Firefox (and Chrome is probably the same these days) just do a search on their respective add-on sites. If you've thought of something you'd like the browser to do, chances are someone else has had the same idea and written an extension for it. Recently I had a bit of a Firefox extension clean out and removed all the ones I wasn't really using, so I'm down to only having about 25 of them installed now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi Joe, i'm using Torch so I may be able to help!
    I downloaded it without any problems and started using it last month.. and it is actually my default browser so far (it wasn't easy for me to replace chrome ,but I think it worth it).
    I find it super cool because right now i have no problems downloading videos from youtube/ dailymotion etc.. with this button it has +
    I don't need to use Vuze anymore to download my torrents because I'm doing it right from the browser...

About the regular browsing stuff - because it is so similar to chrome I got use to it very fast and so far it was stable and survived my many many navigations ^^

So in the bottom line - I recommend it !

You can download torch from here:

Main Page of Torch Browser

Direct link to Torch Browser setup

Enjoy
    Quote Quote  
  6. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeKorn View Post
    You can download torch from here:

Direct link to Torch Browser setup
    What, a 610KB download?

So, it's got to be an "on-line installer".

But, as we all know very-well, on-line installers are evil

Again --- no, thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. What do you mean? I don't know which 'online installers' you are talking about, but it's 100% safe...
    I tried it and believe me - no spyware or viruses were everrr close to reach my computer.
    So trust me if there was any problem with Torch I was the first to know
    Quote Quote  
  8. Yeah I don't get the whole online installer thing, but if memory serves me correctly that's how you install Chrome and Torch is based on Chrome..... maybe there's a reason Chrome doesn't use a full installer either. Or maybe Google doesn't consider the average user intelligent enough to choose the correct download for their OS. At least most of the time when Microsoft products use online installers, there's also a full installer available for download if you look for it.

I find it fairly annoying, needing to re-install something and having to get the online installer to download it again, or needing to install something on multiple PCs using an online installer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chrome, Chromium and Iron have portable versions.
    I don't use online installers for Chrome anymore. Too much risk, in my opinion.

That's one reason I don't use RockMelt.
    RM also insists on you signing in with Facebook. That's a great big "hell no" from me.
    Why should a browser require you sign in with an unrelated website?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi again guys!

I wanted to update you that I used torch for a while and I'm very pleased

it's really simple and meets my needs (Torrents and Video's wise) and it didn't give me any trouble while downloading.

So far, so good!

Thanks for the help, everybody
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have also been curious about this browser, as I see that thepiratebay now links to its homepage at the top of their search results if youre using any other browser. I realize the OP's question is answered/resolved, but I thought it couldnt hurt to ask:

This is one program that is basically a web browser bundled with plugins for downloading media content and transferring files via the bittorrent protocol. While I'm not seeing the difference between this and the setup I have which is similar to what hello_hello describes, I thought, it is possible that this application is able to send torrent traffic through port 80?

From what I understand about virtual circuits, this sort of thing is not possible, as 80 is a 'well known', or reserved, port number. But that got me to thinking about an article Id read recently about a program that tunnels HTTP traffic to your machine through port 53 (DNS), using a second machine as a sort of proxy server to handle the translation.

So now I wonder. But if not, I really dont see how the claim of added security is valid. I have prefer to keep a policy of denial on my machine, where no ports are open unless they need to be, meaning that if Im just web browsing, I wouldnt want my browser to cause firewall prompts to open the ports I torrent on. Just my 2 cents though, I'm sure other people have better reasons.
    Quote Quote  
  12. AsianSensation
    Search Comp PM
    Personaly i have A LOT of browsers, I MEAN A LOT, just because i like to use one when i get bored with another. But of all [REDACTED] of my browsers, not including the one that didn't perform well for me, only Amaya sucked, not including DeepNet which would have taken 15 minutes to download.

The reason i us [REDACTED] is to keep certain things that i like to keep more private than other things.
    Quote Quote  
  13. HELP!!! I downloaded this and find it has slowed down my computer and frustrates me.

I am currently using a Pentium Dual Core, 4 GB/680 GB system running Windows 7
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    The first time I installed it something similar like El's post happend with the online installer, I had router issues. Anyway, I did manage to install it fine via the offline installer and it's been great up to now. I'm happy with the Torch browser, it's now my default since I torrent a lot.
    Quote Quote