VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, I have a doubt about menu background size.

Generally I build PAL dvd's in 720x576 but...

DVD architect 5.2 does not accept a background image of 720x576 although the project is configured to be pal (when inserted a black background is set). It accepts 720x480 fine.

With DVDLabPro2, if I insert a 720x576 background it is cropped, but if I convert it to a background image, dvdlab automatically resizes it to 720x480 so it fits fine.

Are these things correct? Despite of the target resolution, menu's background should be always 720x480?

Thanks,
    Mauro.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not sure why DVD Architect is not accepting your PAL resolution menu .
    720x576 menu is surely legal for a PAL project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    720x576 and 720x480 are non-square pixel signal aspect ratios and on their own are generally meant to refer to transmission, etc of the digital video stream in question. Composing an image (including but not limited to DVD menus), on the other hand, most usually means dealing with square pixels. So, when submitting original background images to a widescreen PAL DVD menu, best to give it 1024x576 (not 720x576), or 853x480 for DVDs intended for NTSC (NOT 720x480), all for correct AR on playback. In fact ANY image that is square-pixel 16:9 AR that is within the maximum resolution allowed by the authoring program will do, like 1422x800 or 1600x900; how they will look like on the final DVD when the program downsamples them to Ax576 or Ax480 is the unpredictable thing.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've always used 720x540 for still menu assets. Only use 720x480 for video assets.
    For PAL, it's still 720x540 stills, while video assets are 720x576.

720x540 is a 4x3 square pixel size.
    If you give it non-square, it upconverts to square, then re-downconverts back to non-square.
    This was true of a lot of pro authoring software, including my favorite, DVDWS2.

853x480 doesn't make any sense -- that's not 4x3.
    853x640 would have been correct, but it's an odd resolution, and is almost always rejected.
    Use 720x540.

1024x576 is also not ideal. Use 1280x720, as that's the often-expected size.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 8th Jul 2012 at 05:31.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi,

720x540 is accepted perfectly. So the conclusion is that for stills, a 4:3 image is needed regardless you are targetting PAL or NTSC.

Thank you all for the answers,
    Mauro.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    853x480 doesn't make any sense -- that's not 4x3.
    It does not, but in my post above I did refer to widescreen menu composition, and this is OK for DVDs intended for NTSC playback, with ALL assets in widescreen. I prefer to give square-pixel, as you noted, assets for menus. Although 960x540 (or oh ok 720x540 for 4:3) will most likely be accepted, the authoring program will interpolate it up and down to x480 or x576. I use Adobe Encore a lot of the times and like its Premiere and Media encoder cousins, come off poorly there (like putting jagged lines where were smooth slanted lines in the original *.jpg). I find out that, and it makes sense, that giving encore menu assets x480 or x576 creates better (if slightly) looking menus maybe because only the horizontal has to be interpolated to 720, no? Maybe DVD architect or other authoring programs interpolate better when given 720x540 or 960x540. But why leave it to that when photoshop or even gimp is there to create in a manner you can control down to the balls infinitely more fabulous pictures at the already correct vertical dimension x480 or x576 to begin with?
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Encore does its own thing.
    It still doesn't fully abide by the DVD-Video specs. It's rather annoying.

Most other apps want the sizes I mention.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the authoring apps differ. Muxman also accepts 720x576 without issue.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by mxmauro View Post
    DVD architect 5.2 does not accept a background image of 720x576 although the project is configured to be pal
    I still have here older version 3.0 for testing and it works. It is odd that they would take away such a basic step while making DVD. I just dropped bmp on DVD Architect menu.

Originally Posted by mxmauro View Post
    With DVDLabPro2, if I insert a 720x576 background it is cropped
    If I insert 720x576 image into DVDLabPro 2.51 (menu/load external S-picture/load external background) it is not cropped, but result is not proportionally correct while viewing DVD. 720x540 gets letterboxed ,maybe there is some settings that will not allow it and it will just resize to fit the screen like DVD Architect or DVD Maestro (default), not sure.

To avoid resizing and degradation in quality we should create in Photoshop 720x576 D1/DV non square pixel image or720x576 D1/DV widescreen , export as bmp and load it into DVD authoring. Within DVD authoring just flag it 4:3 or 16:9 (old DVD Maestro ), or set it within project properties (DVD Lab Pro) or authoring will compile that flag by project properties (DVD Architect). Circle will be real circle on screen while viewing DVD (might not be seen within DVD authoring program).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, you create as 4:3 or 16:9.
    720x576 is not 4:3, and would create a warped off-ratio image viewed at 4:3.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    No, you create as 4:3 or 16:9.
    720x576 is not 4:3, and would create a warped off-ratio image viewed at 4:3.
    Not sure what you mean, 720x576 is not 4:3 sure, but Photoshop creates distorted image specifically with that Dv aspect ratio, but you can view it on screen with right proportions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I've composed ALL my still menu assets in Photoshop at 720x480 or 720x576, nonsquare (usually 4:3 but sometimes 16:9 dar), and I've never had any trouble with whatever authoring app I've used. This is usually DVDMaestro or Scenarist, but often DVDArchitect and DVDLab Pro, occasionally using Encore.
    It's mainly just a matter of setting the app's interpretation of the assets' ar.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Yes, Photoshop handles that well, designing that non square pixel image. When you paste square pixel image on that non square pixel image, Photoshop automatically adjusts it.
    Resizing could give you poor results within DVD Authoring, avoid it if you can, design it as non square pixel - D1/DV aspect ratio, regular or widescreen.
    Quote Quote