VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I can't tell if I'm imagining things, or if there's really something wrong.

Ripped TDK from BluRay and re-encoded it with MeGUI. Faces seem... a bit too red. It bothers me because I've encoded other movies recently with the same settings, and they don't appear to have anything wrong with them. All I have in my avs script is the following:

Code:
    DirectShowSource("Q:\FullDisc\THE DARK KNIGHT\BDMV\STREAM\00007.m2ts", fps=23.976, audio=false)
    ConvertToYV12()
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	277
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	13022
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, a bit red. Not all commercial videos are made that well. I've seen worse. Since you've converted it to YV12, use ColorYUV to dull some of that red (COlorYUV(cont_v=-20). Also, according to the photo posted, your darks are crushed.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It looks perfect when I play it on my bluray player on my TV. The m2ts I ripped though, while looking at it on my PC, looks like that. I'll try your suggestion about coloryuv.

What do you mean by darks being crushed though?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try ColorMatrix(mode="Rec.709->Rec.601") if you're making standard definition. Or specify the rec.709 matrix in your encode. Rec.601 vs. Rec.709:

Name:  comp.png
Views: 3309
Size:  174.4 KB

Your darks probably aren't crushed. The shot is supposed to be that way -- with all that back lighting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm re-ripping the bluray right now just on some weird off chance that it was ripped poorly. I doubt it, but whatever.

I'll also take another shot that's far more telling.

FWIW, I'm ripping it and encoding to full 1080p. Not sure what difference that will make.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by agent154 View Post
    What do you mean by darks being crushed though?
    The picture has no shadow detail. But that could be just the pic, I don't know how well it represents your source.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:17.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I still think you have a rec.601 vs rec.709 problem. Most HD video is encoded with rec.709. Most software players use rec.601.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I brought this into VirtualDub with Rec601. Used photoshop to determine white and black points. Rest was done in VirtualDub. That lighting is a problem.

[Attachment 13025 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:18. Reason: posted correct png version
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Your darks probably aren't crushed. The shot is supposed to be that way -- with all that back lighting.
    No, it's not bad, it's likely the way VLC is playing it. After all, this is just a screen cap of VLC's display. I have to tweak VLC's contrast/brightness for each of my PC'S, and PowerDVD and others as well. Depending on the graphics card, etc., the colors wouldn't be correct anyway -- VLC's measley Tint control is too fiddly to be that useful. Too bad there's no PC player with better image setup controls.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:18.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Original looks fine to me.

Not all scenes are color-corrected for reality.
    Sometimes it's purely for effect. Remember that when editing.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  11. Might be VLC after all.. or my desktop. I played the movie in XBMC via my laptop on my TV, and everything looks perfect.

Thanks for the input anyhow.
    Quote Quote