VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

I want to digitize some videotapes, so I bought a Terratec G3 USB capture device for my Mac.
    The software on the cd that came with the hardware only has mac software for the G1, so I downloaded the recording software from the official website: Terratec Video Capture. Problem: I want to select scart video input, but there is only composite or svhs video input to choose from! Same goes for Elgato's video capture tool.

Why including a scart input, if one cannot select it in the software??

Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps SCART is S-Video or CVBS parallel to existing one - so with help of this cable You can connecto to source and if source is S-Video use S-Video or if CVBS then CVBS input.

RGB can be used with CVBS, RGB and sometimes with S-Video (then Y is on CVBS line and C can be on of the R,G,B lines - usually it is R line)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Uh Pandy, thanks, but your answer is Greek to me.

Perhaps SCART is S-Video
    Then the software is very user unfriendly. But now that you mention it, I get sound, but no video signal.

or CVBS parallel to existing one - so with help of this cable You can connecto to source and if source is S-Video use S-Video or if CVBS then CVBS input.

RGB can be used with CVBS, RGB and sometimes with S-Video (then Y is on CVBS line and C can be on of the R,G,B lines - usually it is R line)
    ?
    Perhaps I should have mentioned that I'm a complete noob when it comes to video capturing. I don't wish to use composite or s-video. My VCR only has SCART out. And why using composite when the quality is less good, and when you need extra cables to record sound...

Could it be that Terratec included the 'wrong' SCART cable? (since the company already included the wrong CD in the box)
    I'll try another scart cable for now...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    My somewhat educated guess would be that you will need to get a SCART OUT to RCA/cinch cable. SCART connections come in at least two types(though they look identical).....one is wired for S-VIDEO and the other is not.
    If your VCR is not an S-VHS VCR, and the Terratec's scart input on the device is set up for scart with the extra S-VHS wires inside...it will not give you a signal. The key here is....is your VCR and S-VHS machine? If it is not....most likely you will need to go the RCA/cinch route.

OR....just use the yellow/white/red out from the VCR to the Terratec to see if you at least get a signal. That would verify my guess.....I guess.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Why WRONG SCART?

Assume that this capture box have 3 video inputs, CVBS (Yellow RCA - CINCH), S-Video (nice round DIN like 4 pin connector), SCART - know imagine that SCART input is CVBS and S-Video - ie selecting CVBS in software - you can connect your source to CVBS or to SCART input, or if You select S-Video you can connect source or to S-Video connector or to SCART input - personally i dont believe that Terrates support RGB component capture so SCART is only different connector for CVBS or S-Video i.e. lot of European video sources is equipped only with SCART output - to connect Terratec all you need is provided SCART cable, configure your video source to CVBS or S-Video (usually S-Video SCART is not capable to output RGB and this is clearly marked), select correct input on Terratec (ie CVBS or S-Video) and everything should work,
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK Pandy, I see... I tried another VCR.
    I selected composite, and now I have a video signal that is okay (no sound, but I guess I will have to connect the capture device with the vcr using rca cables). When I select svideo I get black/white video signal and no sound.

So, I cannot use VCRs with just a scart out (and no white/red audio out)?
    Why did I get sound (and no video) with my first VCR?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	svhs-vhs.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	13008
    Yes....please ignore the guy who often connects his S-VHS, standard VHS and even a turntable(with no amplifier) to his computer via a small USB capture device(Hauppauge). Today it is the turntable.....3 albums recorded, edited and burned to CD so far today.
    Quote Quote  
  8. You should have audio - SCART provide video and audio signal in "one" cable (also it provide much more but this is different story).
    Composite (CVBS) should be quite safe (S-Video even if specified by SCART standard is not a real standard but rather workaround for SCART - some signal are shared and not independent)

Not sure what source is used by You but if source provide separate RCA connectors use this not a SCART, as a alternative you can buy something like this: http://img.tomshardware.com/us/2005/11/23/pc_interfaces_101/scart2.jpg and use normal (not SCART) cables to connect your Terratec to video source.

Issue with SCART and lack audio is sometimes related to not clear direction of signals - SCART provide separate pins for audio input and audio output - lot of companies especially non-European are confused with direction and they made mistakes connecting own input to SCART input instead to SCART output (this can explain no audio in Your case) - with plug-converter on picture i've provided its quite easy to solve mystery for no audio on SCART - just switch from IN to OUT and use normal ie RCA (CINCH) cables.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Pandy, but the Terratec G3 also has audio inputs (RCA red/white). So I goess I'll connect the capture device and VCR with RCA cables then if I have RCA out, and otherwise as you suggested by using an adapter. I have two VCRs and one at my parents'. I'll try using some other scart cables as well - see if that helps - tomorrow. Anyway, thank you guys for your helpful comments. Have a nice weekend. Will report when everything is okay (or still not okay)!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yes, you should have audio if source will be connected to Terratec audio inputs however when source with SCART output is connected to Your terratec to SCART input with FULL SCART cable You should have audio already. Perhaps cable is special type ie one side dedicated to Source and one to Terratec input - try to swap SCART cable sides. Good Luck!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, here is the problem. I tried the adapter Pandy suggested, and connected the capture device to the VCR with RCA cables (yellow, red, white). Surprisingly, I still have no audio.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Strange... did You check both switch positions i.e. IN/OUT?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pandy, I did. And I swapped scart cable sides.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Then i have no ideas except faulty SCART (by design or by something like human/hw error).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But I tried different cables also... There is simply no audio with one vcr, with the other there is audio but no video!
    Very weird...
    Quote Quote