VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys.

I have a few DivX files and i know that they cannot be transferred onto a DVD-R so i was just wondering what file type i should convert them to. I have been using AVI for a while and that has worked fine but i've been a bit ignorant to other potential file types.

Are there any others that are more better quality or take up less room?

I have noticed that there is:
    *DVD Video PAL (mpg)
    *M-PEG I (mpg)
    *M-PEG II (mpg)

Should i justs tick with AVI or are these alternatives better choices?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    PAL and NTSC DVD-compliant video is MPEG2, properly organized with DVD authoring softeware.
    https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

DivX and AVI are not DVD-compliant. Many DVD players will not play them.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What you are saying is not exactly correct, although I understand what you mean. There's nothing that prevents you from writing AVI files to a DVD+/-R data disc, although such files are not in DVD format and some DVD players won't play them.

Converting your AVI files to anything will almost certainly result in lower quality files at the end of the conversion. You should do this only if you have no other way to view your files. It is theoretically possible with the right tools (not necessarily easy for a newbie to use though) to get equivalent quality in DVD format if you're willing to stick with one movie per DVD disc.

You should not use MPEG-1 as this is an older video codec and requires higher bit rates than DVD format supports to get good quality. DVD video PAL as you call it normally uses MPEG-2 video. MPEG-1 is technically allowed on DVDs, but there are so many restrictions that almost nobody uses it in reality.

Probably you would be best off to buy a DVD player or a media player that can handle AVI files and just leave your files alone. Many like the Western Digital media players, but there are other options. Philips makes DVD players that handle AVI files well.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for your advice. I have noticed that the AVI files are of a slightly different, less decent picture quality. I shall follow both of your suggestions and use M-PEG 2.

Thanks once again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If the AVI's are in bad shape (noise, etc.) they'll look worse when encoded to MPEG (and won't look much better as DivX, as most compressor/encoders will choke on noisy sources). If denoising and levels correction is are unfamiliar to you, it's done all the time but it does have a learning curve.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:23.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by sanlyn View Post
    If the AVI's are in bad shape (noise, etc.) they'll look worse when encoded to MPEG (and won't look much better as DivX, as most compressor/encoders will choke on noisy sources). If denoising and levels correction is are unfamiliar to you, it's done all the time but it does have a learning curve.
    Ok i'll keep that in mind. It seems the ones i do have at the moment are in good condition though.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Enjoy. And there's always the forum. . .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 21:24.
    Quote Quote