VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am making a video for my girlfriend for our anniversary. It is composed of keyframed images and other video footage.

I am not a noob when it comes to using the tools in adobe. But I am absolutely useless when it comes to the technical side of video exporting/compression.

The video footage is mostly from two cameras, here is the MediaInfo output:

***1st
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Overall bit rate : 10.2 Mbps
    Format : AVC
    Codec ID : avc1
    Width : 640 pixels
    Height : 480 pixels
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps

***2nd
    Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : QuickTime
    Overall bit rate : 47.1 Mbps
    Format : AVC
    Codec ID : avc1
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps

I have tried several sequence settings and several export options, nothing I do looks good in the end. It looks blurry, the keyframed images are indistinguishable from the originals.

I've research for days and I can't figure anything out! Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Here is an example of what I get with almost ANY export setting I use:

https://forum.videohelp.com/images/imgfiles/rSNzV.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  3. Looks like you have frame blending on , and there is probably a mismatch in your fps

e.g you have 29.97 fps sequence settings and you used something else for export settings

Anytime you have a mismatch in frame rates, premiere will resample the footage by either blending or full frames (duplicates). Frame blend is on by default

If you disable frame blending (clip=> uncheckmark frame blend) , the resampling will be done with duplicates instead of blends .
    Quote Quote  
  4. Did you check to make sure everything, all clips, assets, sequence and export settings were all 29.97 ? If so , there should be no resampling going on (regardless of frame blending on or off) . Then the double images are due to something else - you have to provide more info
    Quote Quote  
  5. AHh okay, that makes more sense. So I have to match my export settings with my sequence settings and that should fix it yes?
    Quote Quote  
  6. One question I have... I would like the images to go across the screen more smoothly. But it's kinda of choppy. I guess the way to resolve this is to use a sequence with 60 fps?

But I don't see presets that allow for that...
    Quote Quote  
  7. You don't have to use the presets, you can use custom settings . 60fps might or might not help, but the rest of your content is 30fps

There can be many reasons for "choppy" eg. maybe you didn't animate it correctly (too fast) , computer might be too slow, bad export format, bad player.... Not enough information
    Quote Quote  
  8. Right now I am using Microsoft AVI to export and I select uncompressed. The result is pretty decent.

Any recomendations as to what I should export as the final product? I want the end result to be as crystal clear as possible. I am not to concerned with file size.
    Quote Quote  
  9. uncompressed is lossless. If you want losslessly compressed you can use lagarith, ut video codec in RGB mode

They won't necessarily play smoothly unless you have fast system (ut will play smoother)

Use a high resolution, at least 1920x1080 or higher , progressive (photos are a lot higher in resolution , even from a cheap point and shoot)
    Quote Quote  
  10. More codecs. How does one sort through all these codecs in order to know which one to use to achieve results they want. Right now all I do is randomly select one; change a few settings and then click render. 95% of the time it produces something I don't want.
    Quote Quote  
  11. What you choose depends on how you intend to play it, what you plan to do with it - Some devices have restrictions

Instead of randomly choosing something, read about them, read the instructions and help file or use Google.

You can start with the presets, but most of them are lossy

Lossless formats are usually meant as archives or for use in other programs, usually not for playing or distribution (they are too large in filesize)
    Quote Quote  
  12. When you say losslessly, do you mean lossy? I guess what I was planning on doing is exporting to AVI uncompressed (because it is quite fast) and then compressing that AVI in Windows Movie Maker.

It sounds silly to do that, but honestly Windows Movie Maker compresses movies very well IMO. Out of everything I've used in Premiere, WMM gives me the lowest file size and a quality; I honestly can't tell the difference between the original (for quality). Not only that but the compression time is SOOO fast.

I've tried to mimic WMM in Premiere only to have the quality inferior and the compression time takes at least 200% longer.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Losslessly compressed means no quality loss ; an analogy would be flac in audio

Lossy compression means quality loss ; an analogy would be mp3 in audio . WMV is lossy

Usually speed and quality is a tradeoff. Slower settings will give you better compression (better quality at a given filesize), or lower filesize for similar quality

h.264 (at least on a fairly fast quad core computer) will be faster and better quality and compression than wmv . WMV doesn't scale as well with more cores, but if you're happy and can't tell the difference then keep on using wmm
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks you very much for your help. I will research more on h.264.

Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well, this is what I spent 3 months creating with the help of you!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoT5eVc5OI&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for introducing me to h.264, I really learnt a lot in this project.
    Quote Quote