VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi-

I have found very little documentation on how to do this, but I understand it can be done. Basically would like to use MPEG streamclip to remove an audio track, and replace it with another MP3.

I like streamclip since its fast, and this process will need to be applied to about 80 videos.

Can someone please give me a step by step of what needs to be done for this process to work? Does the MP3 need to be exactly the same length?

thanks in advance
    dg
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You didn't specify what kind of containers you are working on (MOV/MP4/DV/AVI/MPG/etc) and what kind of video you have (MPEG-4/DV/XVID/DIVX/MPEG-2/etc).
    Do tell us, for more precise answers.

If your audio file is shorter in duration than the video, then the last bit will presumably be without audio.
    If your audio file is longer in duration than the video, then the last bit will presumably be without video.
    Whenever possible, you should make the new audio precisely as long as the video.
    If it needs lip syncing, then all bets are off, as each file could be in need of tweaking.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah, very sorry about that-

Video container: MP4/MPEG4
    Audio: MP3

The replacement audio will be of a different language, so lip sync is not a factor.

Thanks
    DG
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bump.

Can anyone offer some instruction for how to accomplish this?

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I can tell, it is only possible to do something like what you want to do using MPEG StreamClip with some of the various MPEG-2 containers. You would demultiplex the file after opening (to write the video and audio from the .mpg, .ts, etc. into separate files), then substitute a different compatible audio file after renaming it to match the original. Any time the file names match, for example my_test_movie.m2V and my_test_movie.ac3, and the .m2v file is opened, MPEG StreamCip automatically imports the matching .ac3 file. The two files can then be muxed and or converted as you wish.

However, unless the OS X version of MPEG StreamClip is quite different from the Windows version, it cannot be used to substitute one audio track for another in the same way starting with an MP4 file and a MP3 file. MPEG StreamClip does not allow demuxing .MP4 files, nor does it open elementary video streams compatible with the .MP4 container.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest another app that would accomplish this? I am trying to avoid the usual Final Cut apps as this will take a long time to render. This project is time sensitive and I like MPEG streamclip since its so fast.

I know you can delete the audio track in the OSX version, but there are no listed options to replace it.

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dgerson76 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest another app that would accomplish this? I am trying to avoid the usual Final Cut apps as this will take a long time to render. This project is time sensitive and I like MPEG streamclip since its so fast.
    I have used MPEG StreamClip for a few years, but as a Windows user I do not know enough about all the available OS X video tools to be much help.

Avidemux may be able to make the substitution in an MP4 container but if you use Lion, you have to do something extra to make Avidemux work. This post has the details for using Avidemux 2.5.4 with Lion: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/347784-Easy-Affordable-Editor-For-Mac?p=2175258&vie...=1#post2175258

This seemed to work with the Windows version of Avidemux

1. Open the MP4 using "File" and "Open".
    2. Click on "Audio" in the menu bar at the top of the program window and select "Main Track.." then select "External MP3" for "Audio Source" and open the external MP3.
    3. Select "Copy" in the drop-down lists under "Video" and "Audio" in the main program window.
    4. Select "MP4" in the drop-down list under "Format"
    5. Click "File", "Save", and "Save Video"

Looking at descriptions, Datura also seems like a possibility, but I cannot download and test it.

Originally Posted by dgerson76 View Post
    I know you can delete the audio track in the OSX version, but there are no listed options to replace it.
    You can delete the audio track from an MP4 in the Windows version of MPEG StreamClip too, but there is no method to substitute a different audio track using Windows either.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 26th Jul 2012 at 00:41. Reason: clarity
    Quote Quote  
  8. In MY copy of the MPEG Streamclip manual, on page 4, the following quoted section lists what the program can 'convert', including (although you do need the Quicktime MPEG2 Component to work with M2V files - it can be 'found' on the Net) M2V files.

Demux the original file's video and audio content, then place the new audio (which you WILL need to resample from MP3 to a digital video-compliant format from these options AIFF, M1A, MP2, or MPA, as listed in the manual) in a new folder with the original video, make sure the two files have the same name, open the M2V file in MPEG Streamclip (the 'new' audio should tag along to be the playback option in the program's screen), and then 'Convert' under the File menu to your preferred re-muxed result.

Good luck, Michael

Converter features: – from MPEG, MPG, VOB, PS, M2P, MOD, VRO, DAT, DCM, VDR, PVR, TS, M2T, MTS, MMV, REC, VID, AUD, AVR, TP, TP0, TRP, TOD
    to MPEG, TS, REC, VID, M2V, AIFF, M1A, AC3 – multiplexing of M2V, M1V, MPV files with AIFF, M1A, MP2, MPA, AC3 files
    to MPEG, TS, REC, VID, M2V, AIFF, M1A, AC3
    (just open the M2V or M1V file, and the audio file with the same name will be multiplexed on the fly).
    Quote Quote