Thread
  1. i want to hardcode srt subs and change the subtitle's size
    Quote Quote  
  2. no one gave me a decent answer in that question you posted
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by HeartBreak_Kid View Post
    no one gave me a decent answer in that question you posted
    Do not post the same topic on several forums.
    Please do not cross post, once is enough.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/72386-Forum-rules-Acceptable-Use-Policy-%28AUP%29
    Quote Quote  
  4. yes but that topic was very old and as i said i did not get decent answers, i had posted that i have an error message but there were no replies.

i don't mean to be rude.

if you have other links to any posts which answer my question please post them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Virtually any software will let you hardcode subs. Try format factory for starters.

Unfortunately I can't help with the question on changing subtitle sizes. That is probably not as common of a feature. I'm sure its possible but I have not come across it.

Another popular software to try is handbrake. Both freeware.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  6. thanks yoda

@ hech54: how can i delete my previous threads?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thanks yoda

@ hech54: how can i delete my previous threads?
    You're welcome. Good luck on the size changing question.

For deleting threads that is up to the forum moderators.

Next to each post on the left is a "report" link. Click on the post you want removed and click report. Than ask a moderator to remove the duplicate post.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. MediaCoder let you chose font and size
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i want to hardcode srt subs and change the subtitle's size
    SRT sub don't have any size, or colour, or position.
    SRT only has time and text.

All the rest is decided by the rendering app.
    So to change the size you see, you have to say exactly how you are displaying them, what file formats and apps you are using.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
    i want to hardcode srt subs and change the subtitle's size
    SRT sub don't have any size, or colour, or position.
    SRT only has time and text.

All the rest is decided by the rendering app.
    So to change the size you see, you have to say exactly how you are displaying them, what file formats and apps you are using.

Ok what are other subtitles formats that their size can be changed?
    I work with different video formats, usually avi, mp4 and mkv.
    From what i've learned, i need to convert srt to another format then set the desired font ssize , then burn it.
    So i converted the srt to idx, but when i burned them, they didn't show up on my tv.
    So is there any format other than idx that their size can be changed?
    Please i need help asap
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean, exactly, when you say you "burned them"?

How? Using what app?

Usually, SRT will be fine, and you adjust a setting in the app that plays or renders them to set the font size, colour, position.

ASS format subs have complete formatting information in them, but you probably don't need that and would need to learn how to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  12. " What do you mean, exactly, when you say you "burned them"?"

Sorry, i meant hardcoded them, my bad.

I used mkvmerge GUI to hardcode idx to mkv movies, but they didn't show up on my tv but they show up on my pc just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, mkvmerge doesn't hardcode subs at all.
    It just packs them into the MKV file.

So your PC media apps can extract and view them, but it seems whatever you use to play them on your TV doesn't.

So you need to either really hardcode them -- which means reencoding the video with the subs in the image, or possibly easier, find out exactly what your TV supports and how.

So, now, how exactly do you play MKV on your TV? I guess some kind of media player device. That's what you have to target.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Whenever I decide to burn in subs I load the SRT subs into Subtitle Workshop and save them as SSA format. That's because you can adjust SSA format very easily including the font type and size and the color of the text and the position on the screen etc.

Anyway load the SRT subtitles into Subtitle Workshop and across the top select SETTINGS and under that select OUTPUT SETTINGS. This brings up a new window with various options for various subtitle formats, including SSA format. This is where you can adjust things about the SSA output such as font type and size and color of the text and blah blah blah.

When you are ready to save the subs as SSA simply select the SAVE AS option under FILE and select SUBSTATION ALPHA from the list.

As for actually burning in the subs while doing the encoding ... I use AviSynth scripting for that

I think RipBot264 will allow you to add the SSA subs and hard code / burn them in.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just was playing around with RipBot264 and it does indeed allow you to import subs and burn them in. It will work in this way with SRT and SSA as well as ASS, SUB and SUP formats.

Here is a preview window from that program showing what the final video will look like:

Some tips on choosing a font:

If the video is 16x9 anamorphic and you will be encoding it that way then pick a font that is tall and skinny. Why? The subs gets laid down over the "squished" 16x9 anamorphic video and when it gets stretched out for the correct aspect ratio the font will look "crushed" but you avoid that if you pick a tall and skinny font. If you are encoding at 4:3 then this really isn't an issue. Also it really doesn't apply to HD video which technically is 16x9 but also has a pixel ratio of 1:1 so again it doesn't matter. I'm mostly talking about what I would call 'standard 16x9 anamorphic' video like what you have on a DVD.

Please note that the option in RipBot264 to burn in the subs is not the "Selectable Subtitle" option you see on the main page but is rather an option that is "hidden" in the program under the area where you adjust the encoding settings.

It's pretty easy really and if you don't like how the subs look in the preview then go back and adjust them in Subtitle Workshop and re-save them then you will need to exit the preview and re-do the burn in option (which forces you to re-load the subs thus reflecting your change) and then you can see the changes you made in the preview.

BTW in my example the film is 16x9 anamorphic and I should have picked a different font (again one that is tall and skinny) but this was a quick and dirty thing I was doing just to see if it worked and to explain it to you. I haven't done this in a long time and never with this program but right now RipBot264 is one of the better options for converting video to x264 MKV (it can also do MP4 format as well). I use it a lot, just haven't had the need to burn in subs for a while.

Oh and the preview always shows the original frame size so the preview above is 720x480 but it is 16x9 so it's all "squished" up ... it doesn't adjust it for the real aspect ratio. That's why I should have picked a tall and skinny font because when that gets stretched out on playback after the encode the font I picked will look "squashed" (as in short and fat).

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  16. It just packs them into the MKV file
    As stated - you never hardcoded your subs. And many players have difficulties rendering soft-sub - particular I think in a MKV container.

MediaCoder let you chose font and size
    And here is three examples of truely hardcoded subs using .srt. They will always been shown no matter how you render it since they are part of the video

I load the SRT subs into Subtitle Workshop and save them as SSA format
    And beside Subtitle Workshop (which is a great programme) there is SubtitleEdit
    Quote Quote