VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I bought a Jvc dvd+rw in a local store today,when i come home,i searched the internet but i couldnt find any information about Jvc 's dvd+rw media,all about dvd-rw and victor stuff,my Dvd+rw 's media code is Prodisc w02,i looked but Jvc didnt produced any prodiscw02 coded dvd+rw or any dvd+rw,so my media is fake?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 4.jpg
Views:	2767
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	12929  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the left you'll see a column entitled "DVD media". Open it up and plug JVC into "search Media"
    You'll see that they use various manufacturers sold under their name.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hmm,the only jvc dvd+rw i found is RICOHJPNW11

Seems like prodisc only manufactured dvd+r and dvd-r for jvc,so my media is fake ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Fake JVC media? I doubt it. Most likely you have something that's not in VH's data base.
    Judging by the info here, prodisc.w02 and ricohjpnw11 are similar in quality - listed in the 2nd tier.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jvc is just a brand name they can purchase and put their name on any media. like verbatim "life" series is made by cmc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. 4 good 1 bad review for PRODISC.W02 so it wont be a problem , by the way , i have a verbatim dvd-r made in taiwan media code mcc 03rg20 this verbatim is made by cmc too ? , where is produce best verbatim? and which media codes dvd's have a closer reflectivity to a pressed single layer dvd?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mcc 03rg20 is a media code burned into the disc, different companies can make that media code and quality usually depends on the country of manufacture which you find on the external packaging. but mcc media code discs tend to be some of the better ones.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Taiyo Yuden does NOT produce ANY re-writable media. Period. So while this may be legitimate JVC media, it's NOT part of the TY joint venture. Just wanted to point that out.

MCC = Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
    MCC= good

Verbatim's Taiwan made media is always top notch MCC stuff. Their made in Singapore media (usually reserved for some DVD+R DL discs) is also very good. DVD discs made in other countries is variable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As with many things computer, there are far more brand names of optical discs than there are manufacturers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    So while this may be legitimate JVC media, it's NOT part of the TY joint venture..
    It's old-stock JVC branded media, pre-TY.
    There's a ton of the crap out there still. I saw some at a markdown store not long ago.

JVC was never a media manufacturer, always a brand. (Some people confuse JVC with PVC.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    PVC! Hail them.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  12. I saw this post today, i have couple of jvc media RW silver brought by my cousin from USA 2-3 years ago. I was skeptic because i thought jvc didn't made any dvd media but dvd identifier says it is jvc and image burner the same it says on the dvd i tried to photo it but it is silver and when i point the camera at it shines like some sort of "water mark".

What do you think LS are these dvd's good quality on left side is ver 1,2 /4x 4.7 gb Go, under that says 2-4x speed/vitesse?!

http://victor-media.co.jp/media/visual/vd-w120xj5/index.html

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	644
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	14015  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What's the media ID according to ImgBurn?

I've never liked DVD Identifier, because it's not showing you the raw ID data.
    It retrieves from an internal database.
    And I've found it to be wrong in a number of instances.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah I was wondering why none of the original posters in the thread said to see what the MID was in Imgburn or DVD Info ??
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yeah I was wondering why none of the original posters in the thread said to see what the MID was in Imgburn or DVD Info ??
    How to find it i see information in read or verify but not "MID" information where it is located in imgb menu thanks

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B DL13 (ATA)
    Current Profile: DVD-RW

Disc Information:
    State of Last Session: Complete
    Erasable: Yes
    Sessions: 1
    Sectors: 2.153.200
    Size: 4.409.753.600 bytes
    Time: 478:31:25 (MM:SS:FF)
    MID: JVC0VictorD7
    Supported Write Speeds: 2x; 4x

TOC Information:
    Session 1... (LBA: 0)
    -> Track 01 (Mode 1, LBA: 0 - 2153199)
    -> LeadOut (LBA: 2153200)

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: JVC0VictorD7

Recording Management Area Information:
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ-820S 575974 1

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-RW
    Part Version: 3
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196.608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2.349.807
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Format Capacities:
    DT: 0x02 - NB: 2153200 (0x0020DAF0) - TDP: 2048
    FT: 0x00 - NB: 2296256 (0x002309C0) - TDP: 2048
    FT: 0x10 - NB: 2296256 (0x002309C0) - TDP: 16
    FT: 0x15 - NB: 2296256 (0x002309C0) - TDP: 16

Performance (Write Speed):
    Descriptor 1...
    -> B0: 0x02; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00
    -> EL: 2153199 (0x0020DAEF)
    -> RS: 4.584 KB/s (3,3x) - WS: 2.770 KB/s (2x)
    Descriptor 2...
    -> B0: 0x02; B1: 0x00; B2: 0x00; B3: 0x00
    -> EL: 2153199 (0x0020DAEF)
    -> RS: 4.584 KB/s (3,3x) - WS: 5.540 KB/s (4x)

if i saw correctly MID also says JVC right?

it seems that it is produced in Japan by JVC ( Victor company) according to some internet sites ( people get them as bundle with some pioneer dvd recorders in japan )
    Last edited by mammo1789; 25th Sep 2012 at 07:34.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to assume that's an outsourced ID.
    Because I'm not aware of Victor ever having optical media production facilities.
    The real manufacturer could be anybody.

It's also an old disc, from 2004 or before.
    There were a lot of now-failed attempts to compete back in 2003-2006.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post

What do you think LS are these dvd's good quality on left side is ver 1,2 /4x 4.7 gb Go, under that says 2-4x speed/vitesse?!
    It's irrelevant. You have DVD-RW media. You need to understand that RW media is not intended for long term storage. If you burn something to a RW disc and leave it alone and never touch it, eventually it will become unreadable. Whether this happens in 1 year or 5 years or more is impossible to predict. RW media can be re-written and the thing that makes it re-writable is exactly what causes it to have no long term stability. RW discs are meant only for temporary use.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm going to assume that's an outsourced ID.
    Because I'm not aware of Victor ever having optical media production facilities.
    The real manufacturer could be anybody.

It's also an old disc, from 2004 or before.
    There were a lot of now-failed attempts to compete back in 2003-2006.
    that's way i asked but they serve me well

It's irrelevant. You have DVD-RW media. You need to understand that RW media is not intended for long term storage. If you burn something to a RW disc and leave it alone and never touch it, eventually it will become unreadable. Whether this happens in 1 year or 5 years or more is impossible to predict. RW media can be re-written and the thing that makes it re-writable is exactly what causes it to have no long term stability. RW discs are meant only for temporary use.
    It is relevant i have rw+- and r+- so i use both when i burn something that i want to watch once or twice or some backup for software's that i use then the meaning of serving well is relevant in this case don't you agree?

Rw media have many benefits to the only once write cousins.

Considering the long term storage i have CD RW almost 10 years old in perfect shape and data recorded in the 90 ties still remains with no loss.
    Also some here sad that DVD RW is not reliable and that you cannot record more than 100 times ( around 1000 i think by specification ) and i have verbatim dvd rw also almost 10 years old and rerecording on it daily ( yes daily sometimes 4-5 times) i use it mostly on dvd recorders from Panasonic or on my dvd in pc so according to my calculations i passed the 1000 mark long time ago and the medium doesn't have intention of stopping ( i have 5 dvd's like that 2x speed) .

I think ( that's just my opinion ) that storage media ( or any media ) longevity ( or non for that matter ) is very blown out of proportion who would think in 1930's that in 2012 there will still exist 8mm film ( but they do) or who will think more than 3 decades ago that vhs as medium will still exist ( we as forum are the living proof of that ) not to mention that i still see first computers mediums ( paper track, diskettes, and so on ) to still exist today more than 30 years ( i have one diskette that still works after 30 years no data lost zero, who sad that diskettes are unreliable )

I must say that in every rule there is exemption and that even on best brands something goes wrong sometimes but usually things build in the past are surly more quality oriented than today products.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's still irrelevant. Your being in denial doesn't change that.

Fine. Use RW discs all you want. If they work and last 10 years, great. If they start to fail to read in 2 years, tough. Believe me when I tell you I truly do not care. Play the "exception proves the rule" game all you want. I do want to warn you that we get posts from time to time from people who burned stuff to RW discs in the past and they are upset that they can't read them any more, sometimes losing valuable videos in the process. But you are welcome to gamble all you want. RW discs are not the same as write once discs. Again, being in denial of that doesn't make it so.

If you really want reliable new RW discs, you must buy Verbatim. Taiyo Yuden does NOT make RW media, which tells you all you need to know about the format and what they think about it. Your discs are made in Japan and they seem to be made by a good manufacturer, so yes, they are quite probably good. Will they last forever like you think? Who knows? Probably not though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jman is somewhat correct here -- it's not archival.
    I would not use RW media for anything that won't be overwritten within a month.
    The phase-change materials are in a state of flux, and easily disturbed.
    ... though noting that the DVD-RW isn't near as bad as DVD+RW has proven to be.

Re-using the same disc over and over again until it dies -- that's fine. Keep using it.

______

@jman: I think you mean the "exception disproves the rule game" (which I also find asinine)
    The rules exist for a reason.
    Quote Quote  
  21. You guys got me wrong so I must replay

Fine. Use RW discs all you want. If they work and last 10 years, great. If they start to fail to read in 2 years, tough. Believe me when I tell you I truly do not care. Play the "exception proves the rule" game all you want. I do want to warn you that we get posts from time to time from people who burned stuff to RW discs in the past and they are upset that they can't read them any more, sometimes losing valuable videos in the process. But you are welcome to gamble all you want. RW discs are not the same as write once discs. Again, being in denial of that doesn't make it so.
    I am not in denial and i never sad that rw discs are for archival purposes where did you see me say that, don't put words that i never used or mean and in a way out of context it is not good.

i sad
    It is relevant i have rw+- and r+- so i use both when i burn something that i want to watch once or twice or some backup for software's that i use then the meaning of serving well is relevant in this case don't you agree?
    So I'm saying that i use dvd rw discs to burn movies for watching them on dvd ( once or twice ) or for some show on tv that I was unable to watch it that day or night or some series for my girlfriend, and I use it when i preinstall my pc for software's that i have downloaded as temporary medium till I use them again ( in short period of time after burning). For me that is the biggest advantage of this discs versus write once disc. I mean I am not gona write ( and trough ) hundreds of discs every week no mater how much cheap they are. And i agree with both of you.
    And still the tread was about jvc rw discs and were they ever produced or not as the androad and me wrote, and I prove to you that they did ( even if somebody else made for them ) and that they maybe are good media ( as RW off course not in whole ) and they are made in japan.

If you really want reliable new RW discs, you must buy Verbatim
    Almost all ( all except this gifts jvc ones ) my RW discs are verbatim

So I sad
    Also some here sad that DVD RW is not reliable and that you cannot record more than 100 times ( around 1000 i think by specification ) and i have verbatim dvd rw also almost 10 years old and rerecording on it daily ( yes daily sometimes 4-5 times) i use it mostly on dvd recorders from Panasonic or on my dvd in pc so according to my calculations i passed the 1000 mark long time ago and the medium doesn't have intention of stopping ( i have 5 dvd's like that 2x speed) .
    meaning that i don't know how to prove to you empirically now ( that i burned that disc many many times and that it still works without hiccup ) but I agree with LS and you on

Re-using the same disc over and over again until it dies -- that's fine. Keep using it.
    that what i wanted to see when will this little fellow die ( and he has 5 identical twins waiting for him to die but he is one tough mother f .

So jman98 I am not attacking you, I just wanted to explain it strait and not being misunderstood if so.

And i must stay on my claim that thing were better build then then now, not to mention the cheap copies from China ( that were not present before because China was not so "strong" producer as now ) the whole world is flooded with.

You guys must laugh for this, last week i saw on marketplace ( where vegies and fruits are sold on the open I don't know what is it name in English) Princo DVD 24x ( 5 for 1$ )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Princo still produces media? Nobody that I've talked to in at least a year or two has been able to confirm it! Where are you, exactly?

I think jman just came on a bit strong. It's his style. (And his facts were accurate, so he gets a pass. )

I know what you were looking for. I would imagine that you have an outsourced RW media ID -- those happened around the time this disc came out. Matsushita (Panasonic) has their own media, and Matsushita owns JVC as well. There's a chance it's the same production.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Princo still produces media? Nobody that I've talked to in at least a year or two has been able to confirm it! Where are you, exactly?
    I am in Europe Balkan area. I don't know, LS what do you think it looks like this on the pictures could be fake and this site it is in USA http://www.qmediastore.com/dvdrlm47g24xpr/.

In my country princo ( 8x and 16x media R-) it is very popular because of the price and the fact that it works on every dvd drive ( dvd recorders, re writers for pc and so on ) i used them sometimes and they really worked ok I even have some old ones that still work ok ( although prefer verbatim from the shop which is near my house and it is the main distributor for dvd and cd media in my country so i get it "cheap"). I asked them today and they sad that they don't have princo 24x yet imported (legally) but it could be some went trough some other channels had past in country and distributed them who knows.

I think jman just came on a bit strong. It's his style. (And his facts were accurate, so he gets a pass. )
    i don't dispute that his and yours facts where ( and are ) accurate, he was wrong about the intention and the purpose of me using them, so the thing came out of context.

Name:	3600cfb7012915ebbd77e7d5f302dfe7.1280.1280.jpg
Views:	822
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	14067  

Image Attached Images  
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is a Princo style spindle.
    Hmmm....
    Interesting....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    Princo still produces media? Nobody that I've talked to in at least a year or two has been able to confirm it! Where are you, exactly?
    I am in Europe Balkan area. I don't know, LS what do you think it looks like this on the pictures could be fake and this site it is in USA http://www.qmediastore.com/dvdrlm47g24xpr/.
    Those Princo are very real, and just for fun, I picked up 120 of them a bit back. Cheap as dirt and I couldn't resist the challenge to burn a Princo at 24x

They have the MID:PRINCORGM1

I have not been able to find a single firmware that will natively burn these at 24x. I suspect the 24x on the label is Princo's attempt(albeit grandiose) to draw attention to the fact that these ultra-slim DVD-R are a new design and not at all the same as the 16x Princo discs sharing the same MID.

You can literally roll these discs into a tube without breaking them. It's a shame they came on the scene at this late date. These are every promotional disc producers dream, could ship these in the cheapest of mailers or tuck them into a promotional flyer/magazine so easily.

They are not a high quality disc by any means, but good enough to burn usable video discs in my testing. Set-tops read them fine(burned at a reasonable speed).

I did manage to burn them at 24x in a Samsung SH-S243D after performing surgery on the firmware and swapping the Princo code for another.

I'm guessing that it must be the unique polycarbonate formulation that Princo devised for these ultra-slim discs that leads to them being the most potently odorous discs I have ever run into. It is almost worth the $12.00 entry fee just to catch a whiff of that unique smell when you crack open the spindle

If its OK to post this, more user feedback can be found here and here.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Just to help answer the question regarding fake or real, here is the link to Princo's own page about these discs.

And here is a link to Princo's own drive compatibility chart. Funny that they are so shameless about the "24x" name that they would supply a chart to prove that is is just so much fluff and nonsense. Maybe one of the drive manufacturers promised to update a firmware to allow 24x burning, then thought twice about it when they tried to actually achieve it
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    You guys got me wrong so I must replay

I am not in denial and i never sad that rw discs are for archival purposes where did you see me say that, don't put words that i never used or mean and in a way out of context it is not good.

i sad
    So I'm saying that i use dvd rw discs to burn movies for watching them on dvd ( once or twice ) or for some show on tv that I was unable to watch it that day or night or some series for my girlfriend, and I use it when i preinstall my pc for software's that i have downloaded as temporary medium till I use them again ( in short period of time after burning). For me that is the biggest advantage of this discs versus write once disc. I mean I am not gona write ( and trough ) hundreds of discs every week no mater how much cheap they are. And i agree with both of you.
    And still the tread was about jvc rw discs and were they ever produced or not as the androad and me wrote, and I prove to you that they did ( even if somebody else made for them ) and that they maybe are good media ( as RW off course not in whole ) and they are made in japan.

If you really want reliable new RW discs, you must buy Verbatim
    Almost all ( all except this gifts jvc ones ) my RW discs are verbatim

So I sad
    meaning that i don't know how to prove to you empirically now ( that i burned that disc many many times and that it still works without hiccup ) but I agree with LS and you on

that what i wanted to see when will this little fellow die ( and he has 5 identical twins waiting for him to die but he is one tough mother f .

So jman98 I am not attacking you, I just wanted to explain it strait and not being misunderstood if so.

And i must stay on my claim that thing were better build then then now, not to mention the cheap copies from China ( that were not present before because China was not so "strong" producer as now ) the whole world is flooded with.
    One of my Verbatim 8x DVD+RWs fails to read after more than 30 rewrites. I have ten Verbatim 6x DvD-RW, five purchased from Meritline, and the last five as a five pack from ebay $14.78 free shipping from UK to USA http://www.ebay.com/itm/150880205721?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    The Verbatim 6x DVD-RW from the US performs better than the five pack from UK.
    I just purchased JVC 6x DVD-RW along with JVC 8x DVD+R from ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251183732051&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIB...ht_2657wt_1408 JVC 4x & 6x DVD-RWs have been discontinued, and JVC 6x DVD-RW are extremely rare. The only rewritable dvds by JVC still on the market in the US, are mini 2x DVD-RWs and JVC 2x DVD-RW are still available in Japan.

I am going to test the JVC 6x DVD-RW, and compare it to Verbatim 6x DVD-RW, and see which performs the best.
    Last edited by abcello; 21st Nov 2012 at 09:54.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by mammo1789 View Post
    I saw this post today, i have couple of jvc media RW silver brought by my cousin from USA 2-3 years ago. I was skeptic because i thought jvc didn't made any dvd media but dvd identifier says it is jvc and image burner the same it says on the dvd i tried to photo it but it is silver and when i point the camera at it shines like some sort of "water mark".

http://victor-media.co.jp/media/visual/vd-w120xj5/index.html
    I Just got 45 JVC 6x DVD-RW discs from ebay. They are made in Japan and the media code is JVC1Victord7. They are now available for sale on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-6x-DVD-RW-media-VD-W47GU5-4-7-GB-120-min-5-Pack-/181039805...item2a26d0356b

Name:	Optiarc_DVD_RW_AD-7280S_JVC 6x DVD-RW info.png
Views:	894
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	14885  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC 6x DVD-RW.jpg
Views:	4336
Size:	5.04 MB
ID:	14886  

Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC 6x DVD-RWinside.jpg
Views:	2105
Size:	7.78 MB
ID:	14887  

Last edited by abcello; 6th Dec 2012 at 20:59.
    Quote Quote