VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody

Didn't know to post this in DVD authoring. Please move when needed.

In the near future I want to try to get 9 dvd's on a BD25. Ok. DVDRemake can only merge 4 dvd's in 1 project. The size of the total dvd project would be about the double of a BD25. So, I thought up a workflow with let's say dvd's 1 to 9, in this order:

Step 1 - Create 3 merging projects for 3 dvd's each (1, 2 & 3), (4, 5, 6) and (7, 8 9) for instance.

Step 2 - Create a total project, merging the 3 projects from step 1, again in DVDRemake. Something with a main menu with 3 buttons like "DVD 1 2 3", "DVD 4 5 6" and "DVD 7 8 9". Each of them pointing to the "root menu" of the initial "3 dvd's to 1" projects. I hope I'm clear with this.

Step 3 - Load the exported total dvd in DVDtoBD Express.

Step 4 - Load the resulting BD into BDRebuilder in "full backup" mode. (would mean transcoding with x264).

I am playing with the DVDRemake demo to try & figure out editing original dvd structures and menus.

New to the software, my first go on this was just editing 1 dvd; taking out unwanted warnings, trailers etc. and removing buttons. This went ok.

Next I tried to merge 3 dvd's to one, with an adjusted root menu: also this went ok.

Following logical step was trying to merge 3 merging projects. Also this worked. That is: the outcome could be played on my pc. Didn't check to burn it and play on my standalone player. Choosing "root menu" or "titel menu" (on the "remote" of my software-player, that is) I could navigate to each menu. So far so good.

Trying to do things step at the time, next was loading one "3 dvd to 1" (from step 1) in DVDtoBD Express. Ok, this worked. The result could be played and navigation seemed allright.

With the next step trouble began. Loading the total dvd project from step 2, DVDtoBD hung with a lot of errors in the log. I forgot to save or write some of them down. However, my first guess would be that this has something to do with the "double" root-menus or something that were created by merging "merging projects". I am now trying to fix things with FixVTS.

Besides from this I have a question. I wanted to try and add a button to each "original dvd main menu" that would direct to the upper root menu. Adjusting my background image and adding a button went fine. But I couldn't get the button-command right. Whatever I tried. In the first chapter of the manual "DVD Structure and Navigation Basics" is empty. Sh*t.

There is this "Command Edit Dialog" in the help-file. I read it over and over but I can't figure it out. This coin won't drop in my head. Been busy all night.... argh. This is frustrating. Can someone help me out understanding this?

Thanks

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    did you try multiAVCHD? it allows multiple video_ts folders to be added.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    did you try multiAVCHD? it allows multiple video_ts folders to be added.

Hi aedipuss,

Yes I actually did quite a lot with MultiAVCHD. It's a great tool.

However, I came across this inspiring thread https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/346946-DVD-video-to-BluRay and this is a follow-up actually.

This DVDtoBD Express freeware is new to me. I thought it would be nice to import one of my series of dvd's into one BD including their complete main menus. I doubt I could manage this kind of navigation within MultiAVCHD (if possible at all) and it would take ages I think. Quoting someone with this but agreeing, it would be "kinda cool" to try and have all original and working menus on BD?

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not for me. first thing i do with all dvds/blu-rays is get rid of all the menus, trailers, adverts, extras and convert to movie only.

so good luck.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes this is also my normal way of working. I wiped out the warning and trailers with this one too. But concerning the menus, this is a special one for me.

Thanks

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update: I think I am a step further, with DVDRemake demo that is.

In DVDRemake I exported every single dvd project to harddrive and loaded this into FixVTS. The outcome of FixVTS I reloaded into DVDRemake again and saved as a project.

These saved projects I merged and exported the dvd again to harddrive. Loading into FixVTS.... and so on and on. So, in short, every project I started in DVDremake I did with a FixVTS-result as input. I hope to be clear with this.

Also the exported end-result of merging the 3 x 3 dvd's, I loaded into FixVTS. And, finally, that outcome I loaded into DVDtoBD Express. All went well. I could play the BD in my pc and all worked like a charm. Of course, curious (not to say excited) about the real deal, I burned it to BD-RE. I always put a result to practice with a standalone player. Yes! My Panasonic blu-ray player took the bait. Everything (15 seconds that is because of the demo version) could be played, navigation was flawless.

With this result I'm a step further to bring this all to a happy ending. I do still hope someone can help me out with the button-command for my edited root-menu.

For now,

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I dug into DVDRemake and think I reasonably enough figured it out with the commands. I think I can do a 1st try to re-author all 9 dvd's into one now, with an additinal and new "main menu". Eventhough DVDRemake itself can merge 4 discs max, if one understands how it works you can do merging more manually, I start to realize now.

The basics though about menu-(re-)authoring and particularly how subpics work I learned reading the helpfile of DVDSubEdit. Now this is what I was searching for! Great tool. Reading about CLUTs and looking at the original subpics I had this lightbulb moment. Now I know what mistake I made initially. My edited subpic had way too many colors. The new one works flawlessly and adding a new button in DVDRemake went effortless.

Things are the way I want now I think. That is, regarding the initial reason I put up this thread for. Don't know what more issues I will definitely run into, but I'm a step closer again.

It's still a pitty that DVDRemake doesn't have any dvd structure & navigation basics in it's guide.

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ennio,

I use DVDRemake Pro a lot for my dvd merging needs. The command structure does take some getting used too. You're right about the merging. There is really no limit after you learn how to manipulate the program. The guide that comes with the program is definitely less than stellar, but you'd probably be better off checking out their forum's for links to the guides you want to use.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MindController View Post
    Ennio,

I use DVDRemake Pro ... The command structure does take some getting used too... The guide that comes with the program is definitely less than stellar, but you'd probably be better off checking out their forum's for links to the guides you want to use.
    Learning about this all, I still use the demo version. It will allow me to re-author a dvd into menu-only and play around with this. Particularly for a demo-version, basics are ESSENTIAL. Missing them I can imagine people drowning without having seen the waters first. I for sure did definately.

Going to try my 1st re-authoring project, maybe you can help me with some questions MindController.

I'm studying SPRM and the Virtual Machine commands but I have this feeling these have nothing to do with each other? As I understand it now the R(0), R(1) etc. settings one can set, are used in (often conditional) commands to "remember" what and what not has been played --> thus sending you to the (right part of) a dvd-(sub)menu (including highlighting the proper button), pgc post-commands or whatever. Please correct me if I'm wrong with this.

Reading these same number(s) in the "System Parameter Registers" it makes no sense? I also read that there is SPRM and GPRM and both having to do with dvd authoring? What exactly is used/changed/authored on the dvd-disc itself? I am having trouble interpreting this and can use some basics on this. I hope I'm clear.

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  10. Yeah, like I said before, there is a learning curve with it. How far along have you gotten with the program, and what exactly are you trying to accomplish? Have you figured out how to merge the dvd's you want?

Generally, when I use the registers, like R(0), R(1), R(2), etc, I use them for things like setting up a resume function on the DVD and also highlighting the proper button when going back to the main menu.

Perhaps you can give me a better idea of what you're trying to do, and I can assist
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ennio View Post
    I wanted to try and add a button to each "original dvd main menu" that would direct to the upper root menu. Adjusting my background image and adding a button went fine. But I couldn't get the button-command right.
    The problem with button commands might come from an attempt at going directly from a VTS with menu into another VTS (if your target menu is there, which is most likely). It is only possible to get there via a VMG PGC with a corresponding pre-command. Create an empty PGC and add a command like Jump VTS# 'root' menu. You can go to that new PGC directly by button command.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ennio,

To give you a more hands on and visual approach, I threw together a sample DVD that you can open in DVD Remake and see what commands I use to route the menus.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I thought I'd learned enough to put the whole project together. I was wrong. The test-dvd runs fine on my pc and a burned dvd-rw in my stand-alone. But converting it into BD with DVDtoBD Express gives me much errors.

I have to start over again due to a new pc I have since a couple of days. I earlier did all the work on a friend's pc. Luckily I made a text-file with all the commands and the structure I used. I don't mind actually; it's proper to re-think this and start over again.

Some things about my project:
    I have a series of oldskool music which is 9 dvd's. I want to put them on a blu-ray disc including their original menu's. With "on top" a homemade "9 button top menu" to choose each dvd.

About the original dvd-structure:
    Importing in DVDRemake, each disc has its "Main Menu" as "VMG title menu". From there you can (besides play all) go to a sort of chapter's menu, which is listed as "root menu" in the first VTS. In some of the dvd's, from main menu, you can also go to a sort of bonus/extra menu, which is listed as "root" menu in the following VTS.

The way I worked is this.
    I created a total "Top Menu", which I put on top as "VMG title menu". With 9 buttons you can go to each individual (original) main menu of each dvd. This main menu I put in VTS as "root" menu. Under there, so in the same VTS, I placed the sort-of-chapters menu of the dvd as "chapter menu". The extra/bonus menu (if present) I put in a following VTS as "root menu". I edited the backgrounds of each dvd-menu to be able to know in "what volume" one is in and to place an extra button to go to the new "top menu".
    I hope I'm clear with this. if you want a picture please say so.

Alex_ander, you could be dead on. Thanks for the tip! In commands I used a lot of "Jump VTS " - lines. Even though the output works on a dvd-player, this could be the reason why DVDtoBD Express jams.

I was curious why in a lot of dvd structures, in Video Manager, there is a lot of PGC's with a command to "jump to "VMG title x". And from there to the proper "VTS". I think - now - it has something to do with a sort of total pre-understanding the structure and navigation. For the dvd-player when a disc is inserted, that is.

MindController, a huge thanks for the test-dvd. I will study it.

For now

Cheers all

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  14. You could try EasyBD lite instead of DVDtoBDexpress but I don't know if you will get any better results for your project.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Reading about EasyBD Lite the site says it doesn't convert dvd to BD. And that is what DVD2BD Express is all about. I do think that authoring this as a pure BD project is the most proper thing to do. However, for now, authoring BD is too difficult for me.

Thing is that the earlier project succeeded with DVD2BD Express. That project consisted of DVDRemake 3 times merging 3 dvd's and those three results merging again with DVDRemake as the total project. I had to run each source (and output) through FixVTS nonetheless, but it did the job.

I think I have to take a close look at my used commands and compare them to eg. MindController's test-dvd, maybe my originals and the earlier succeeded DVDRemake project (so, how DVDRemake "does this"). I have this positive feel that when this total-dvd is authored properly with the right commands at the right places, DVD2BD Express will convert successfully.

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote