VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello. We have a Panasonic DVD recorder, model number dmr-ez485v. I've been using Sony DVD+r accucore discs on it recently, but lately they've been acting up. Occasionally, the player would reset itself because of a problem in had and now some of the discs won't play and there's a message that says "This disc is incompatible". Is there anyway to remedy this problem? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Laser going dirty/bad/weak, probably.
    With that, the first things to not be readable would be DVD±R/W DL, then DVD+R/W, then DVD-RW, then DVD-R, then DVD-RAM (panasonic's baby), then finally pressed discs. This progression could happen quite fast, though.

If the laser + reader is dirty, can be cleaned. If weak, might be able to be re-adjusted (tweak a potentiometer). If going bad. repair cost is probably higher than replacement cost.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks for the response. The only problem is that it doesn't read very few discs. We bought many discs before and it has no problem reading them. The recorder tends to make a grinding sound when trying to read some, so maybe I'll try cleaning it or adjusting it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by caleb89sw View Post
    Thanks for the response. The only problem is that it doesn't read very few discs. We bought many discs before and it has no problem reading them. The recorder tends to make a grinding sound when trying to read some, so maybe I'll try cleaning it or adjusting it.
    The grinding noises indicate the DVD is slipping, and the spindle on the DVD drive needs a cleaning. This is a universal problem for Panasonic DVD recorders. See this thread for cleaning instructions: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-clean...-complications
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can also try using better quality media. Sony discs are pretty variable with them using both the very best and the very worst manufacturers. Most likely you've got some of the latter. Taiyo Yuden (you will have to buy them online at places like rima.com and supermediastore.com) and Verbatim (anything except their Life series) are the only manufacturers who sell discs in the USA that still make top quality media. You can have problems with low quality media that using better quality media will resolve.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    +1 to what both jman98 and usually_quiet said.
    A dirty spindle shows up first on lower quality media. While I've had good luck with Sony media on a clean spindle once it starts getting a little soiled Sonys seem to be one of the first brands to start having problems. On the other hand Tys have a slightly tactile surface that grips the spindle on all but the dirtiest spindle. Verbatims(not life series) also tend to grip better than average and in general Panasonics tend to prefer the - format to the + format.
    After cleaning the spindle you'll probably be able to continue to use your Sonys but personally after using them up I'd try and switch either Verbs or Tys and - format
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Sony discs are pretty variable with them using both the very best and the very worst manufacturers.
    That's not accurate information.

Sony uses very few manufacturers, and always sticks with just one at a time (per disc type).
    The last -R/+R manufacturer was Daxon, and was used for at least 5+ years, making excellent blank discs.
    The current one (for past ~3 years) is Ritek, using oxonol-based dyes, and is also excellent.

Verbatim DVD-R would be best. Taiyo Yuden DVD-R is a second choice.

Guide on blank media @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    That's not accurate information.
    And once again, I have to disagree with our esteemed LS on this touchy topic.

There are no absolutes regarding media mfrs: at any given time, all of them have some sort of issue with some types of hardware. None have remained utterly indisputably flawless since 2005. None burn 100% perfect every single time with every single drive you try. There are way too many variables with aging mechanics, aging lasers, grime issues, drive design flaws, and firmware that can conflict with whatever particular batch of 10,000 DVDs of any preferred brand that shows up in any particular region.

Sony was great under Daxon (usually) then got dicey recently depending on what burner you use. If you burn on a PC, almost any disc will work OK most of the time. Standalone DVD recorder? Not so much. They have proven time and again to be far more picky than PC burners, and the "quality" of the disc may not even matter. The recorder may simply be stymied by a slight change in the dye formula used in that batch, or in Panasonic's case, it cannot physically control the disc spin due to grime or wear of the drive clamp. So this disc gets a half-assed attempted burn, which fails, rendering the disc useless. You cannot fix or repair such failed recorder-made discs: throw them away, and start over.

This particular conflict between Panasonic standalone recorders and Sony blank DVDs has come up again and again on electronics forums around the world over the last couple years, starting around 2010. jjeff has followed it fairly closely, and I would agree with his theory that something in the top finish of the Sony disc surface changed slightly: just enough so that Panasonics lose their ability to grip the discs properly. When a Panasonic is brand new, it will burn thru a number of Sonys just fine, then suddenly become incapacitated by any Sony disc you try to burn. The Panasonic disc clamp mechanism is extremely vulnerable to dust, finger oils, and slight wear: this combined with the specific surface finish of recent Sony discs can lead to problems. Try using another disc brand with a different top-side finish, and the problem should ease up. And bear in mind jjeff's note about Panasonic never being especially fond of the +R format: avoid recording +R in your DMR-EZ485v. Any minor Panasonic burner issue will be exaggerated when loading +R, so stick to -R whenever possible.
    Last edited by orsetto; 27th Jun 2012 at 13:05.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my Panasonics I've had relatively good luck with Sony flat white top printable discs(MID SONY16D1) but not as much with the Sony pearl top(MID RITEK). Personally I don't believe the probability of failure with these particular discs is related as much to the dye as how slippery the spindle area is with the RITEK Sonys. The pearl top Sonys have no grip to them at all, compare this to Tys that are slightly tactile.
    I've given up on the pearl top Sonys and won't purchase them any more and probably won't purchase the flat top printable Sonys now that Costco has stopped selling them. I'll probably only purchase Tys and AZO Verbatims from now on.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @orsetto: You're not disagreeing with me. You changed the subject.

And you're not wrong...

Not all discs (even the best ones) work 100% in all devices 100% of the time. The reason excellent discs are excellent, however, is because they do tend to work 95%+ of the time, in 95%+ devices. It's that 5% where you want to start beating the computer, DVD player, or DVD recorder/burner with a sledge hammer and scream at it.

DVD recorders are also using a real-time packet-written method. It's not an "x" speed. It's not 1x. As such, media that works best at an "x" speed can fail miserably.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post

Verbatim DVD-R would be best. Taiyo Yuden DVD-R is a second choice.

Exact the right answer for these Pana recs.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post

This particular conflict between Panasonic standalone recorders and Sony blank DVDs has come up again and again on electronics forums around the world over the last couple years, starting around 2010. jjeff has followed it fairly closely, and I would agree with his theory that something in the top finish of the Sony disc surface changed slightly: just enough so that Panasonics lose their ability to grip the discs properly. When a Panasonic is brand new, it will burn thru a number of Sonys just fine, then suddenly become incapacitated by any Sony disc you try to burn. The Panasonic disc clamp mechanism is extremely vulnerable to dust, finger oils, and slight wear: this combined with the specific surface finish of recent Sony discs can lead to problems.

Ah-ha, this explains some of the issues I had with Sony and my E30. Sony -R's were burning pretty good for me, then I was getting slippage on a newer batch. Those Sony's have been OK on my EZ47.

I know my E30 needs a spindle cleaning. That is my baby, the first recorder I purchased. It's quirky and acts up at times, but still produces quality recordings. I need to dig it out of the A/V rack so I can service it.

I will verify the spindle cleaning works wonders. I have done it to both my EZ47's (purchased used) with the information provided on this site. Also, thanks to this site for the Media IDentification and recommendations. I now use almost exclusively Verbatim AZO DVD-R's in my many Panasonic stand alone DVD Recorders.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Hello,

I'm new to VideoHelp.com and would appreciate any help you can give me on a problem I have. In 2004 I purchased a "PIONEER" DVD Recorder from Wal-Mart and it has worked PERFECT ever since. Recently, I have been using the Sony Accucore DVD-R's (My machine willy only accept DVD-R's) and have been having some problems. I've been noticing on at least 6 occasions that while I am recording a show my DVD Recorder records up to about 31 minutes and then all of a sudden splits the show into 2 titles while the show is still in progress forcing me to throw the DVD away since it skipped about a minute of my show. I don't know if it is a DVD error or the recorder itself. Also note, I have NEVER cleaned or repaired my player/recorder as it has ALWAYS worked for me. Also, another possibility I am thinking of is that since I have digital cable it might be sending a signal to my recorder which causes the player to pause or skip and that's when it splits into 2 titles. I appreciate your time and would appreciate any comments and/or solutions you may have.

Thanks,

BanzaiBoullion
    Last edited by BanzaiBoullion; 30th Jun 2012 at 23:49. Reason: Misspelled Username
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's another media error.
    RitekF discs don't seem to work well packet-written, but only in burners.
    Switch to Verbatim (non-Life Series).

Again: Guide on blank media @ http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BanzaiBoullion View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to VideoHelp.com and would appreciate any help you can give me on a problem I have. In 2004 I purchased a "PIONEER" DVD Recorder from Wal-Mart and it has worked PERFECT ever since. Recently, I have been using the Sony Accucore DVD-R's (My machine willy only accept DVD-R's) and have been having some problems. I've been noticing on at least 6 occasions that while I am recording a show my DVD Recorder records up to about 31 minutes and then all of a sudden splits the show into 2 titles while the show is still in progress forcing me to throw the DVD away since it skipped about a minute of my show. I don't know if it is a DVD error or the recorder itself. Also note, I have NEVER cleaned or repaired my player/recorder as it has ALWAYS worked for me. Also, another possibility I am thinking of is that since I have digital cable it might be sending a signal to my recorder which causes the player to pause or skip and that's when it splits into 2 titles. I appreciate your time and would appreciate any comments and/or solutions you may have.

Thanks,

BanzaiBoullion
    My PANASONIC E30 does something similar.
    It will start recording, but sometimes between 30-50 SECONDS it will start another title/chapter. You will see the counter stop at like :47 seconds for a little bit, then start again at 0:00. It has started a second title/chapter, but there is a gap in recording between the :47 first title/chapter and the second title/chapter. It only does this occasionally, and only within the first 50 seconds. After that, it will record un-interupted the rest of the way.

Now, I always watch the first minute on the counter to make sure the title/chapter hasn't skipped. If it does, I stop my recording, delete the 2 titles, and start the recording over. This problem seems to occur with the cheaper media discs. Not as much with the good Verbatims that I now use. NEVER had this issue with RAM discs.
    I believe a spindle cleaning will help with this condition, as well as using top quality discs.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Hi Mikey,

I appreciate your reply! I found out what the problem was last night. I was recording a show on my DVD Recorder when all of a sudden an emergency testing notification came on the screen and right at the same time my recorder skipped to another title. So, I'm guessing it is our cable provider (Service Electric Cablevision) doing it! Luckily, I have DVDDirect from Sony and was making a dual recording of the same show if this error happened again. I'm going to let my cable company know how I feel about this! The cable company must have some sort of scanner that goes through the channels to see if anyone is recording them and then flips a switch that disrupts the recorder. Again, I appreciate your time and also for taking the time to reply!

Thanks,

BanzaiBoullion
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BanzaiBoullion View Post
    The cable company must have some sort of scanner that goes through the channels to see if anyone is recording them and then flips a switch that disrupts the recorder.
    I don't even see how that would be possible.

More likely is that your cable signal is cutting out, and most DVD recorders abort recording on loss of signal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I recently bought some Verbatim at BEST BUY not realizing that they were CRAP because they are that "Life Series" junk. Unfortunately I already opened them and started using them before I realized. Oh well ...

My point is: I also vote for REAL Verbatim (especially for dual layer discs) or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R (probably THE best for single layer use). Single layer Verbatim discs are good but I still prefer Taiyo Yuden but then again you can get the Verbatim in stores ... just don't buy that "Life Series" junk!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    As as aside (and I'm looking for your input here Mr. Smurf heh) do you think the "Life Series" is OK if I just use them as data discs and keep the contents at or under 4.0GB ???
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote