VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey guys hoping for some advice, recently had some trouble with my LG blu ray Burner(BH10LS30) in that it was recognising dvd,cd blu ray movies etc but when it came to recordable media it wouldn't recognise blu ray blanks(several suppliers verbatim, maxell e.t.c.) anyhow after a lot of googling i came to the conclusion that the drive must have died or failed so i have bought a new Liteon drive(IHBS312) having installed i find now that all my disk are recognised even the blank blu rays.
    The problem im having is now i cant play blu ray movies as apparently now i need a monitor that has hdmi and is aacs compliant ive tried reverting back to an older powerdvd but this hasnt helped,

1): Do i really have to buy a new screen?.
    2):I have a 50inch tvin my bedroom that was thinking of using or would a monitor be better also since this drive is 3d compliant could i get 3D for around £300.......

Also ive tried the vlc patch thing and that wont work either, any help would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    First jump to mind is to try AnyDVD. You maybe wanna check out if that helps. There is a trial version at Slysoft.
    And maybe your drive needs new firmware?

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Damn PowerDVD. It figures. I'm not kidding when I tell you that if Hollywood ordered them to only sell software players that couldn't actually play anything, they would happily do it. WinDVD is the same way. I've got Total Media Theater by Arcsoft and it's not enforcing this - yet. We've all heard that eventually Hollywood would demand that players start doing this. I don't know if PowerDVD is just refusing to play your discs altogether, but in the past we were told that when this was enforced that Hollywood would allow BluRays to play via non-HDMI connections, but in degraded (ie. not full high def) mode.

You mention 3D so I do have to ask - by any chance have you ONLY tried to play 3D BD movies? 3D has a bandwidth need that can only be met via HDMI version 1.4 so if you have actually been trying to play 3D discs, yes, I can understand that they won't play without HDMI.

I agree that AnyDVD may help. Not sure but you could download a trial version and see.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Shoulda known to come straight here before google, bang on guys, after installing anydvd all my blu rays work again, well i havent checked em all but im guessing there ok,
    @jman. No i havent tried 3D Blu rays yet as i dont have a 3d monitor or TV, i only mentioned it as the drive is 3D capable so if i needed a new monitor i probably would gone for 3D make, as you got me working now i stick with my plain old 2D, having seen Prometheus at the imax ill give 3D a miss thanks, cool but in my opinion detracted from the movie,
    @jman p.s. you were the guy who said the drive could well be defective from description i was giving of my problems, took me since January to scrape up the money

Thanks guys much appreciated
    Last edited by john8611; 25th Jun 2012 at 10:32. Reason: Extra info
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should you you consider ripping & playing 3D blu-rays by the way; I believe I read somewhere that a proper way to do this is ripping it with AnyDVD into iso and mounting the image with eg. Virtual Clone Drive. This is freeware and you can get it at Slysoft too.
    Should you rip it into the blu-ray folder structure it can go wrong. Something to do with SSIF folder in Stream folder, I thought it was.

Glad you sorted it out.

Cheers

Ennio
    Quote Quote  
  6. If you don't want to shell out the money for AnyDVDHD, you could use DVDFabPasskey Lite, the free version of Passkey. It might not work for all discs (i.e. newest protections) though. It's a driver-level decrypter much like AnyDVD.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote