VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everybody

I am looking for a laptop to work on Premiere pro CS6. I am not a professional, my ultimate goal is to make a short documentary.

Would the following laptop from Toshiba be suitable for the job. I will go into a lot of tutorials first and thus will use the laptop much:

Toshiba L755-M1KS

Operating System

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)
    Processing Technology

type : Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor

clock speed : 2.40 / 3.00 Turbo GHz

Front Side Bus : 1333 MHz

3rd level cache : 3 MB

System Memory

standard : 6,144 (4,096 + 2,048) MB

maximum expandability : 8,192 MB

technology : DDR3 RAM (1,333 MHz)
    Display

size : 39.6cm (15.6”)

type : Toshiba TruBrite® HD TFT High Brightness display with 16 : 9 aspect ratio and LED backlighting

internal resolution : 1,366 x 768
    Hard Disk

capacity : 750 GB

drive rotation : 5,400 rpm
    DVD Super Multi Drive (Double Layer)

compatibility : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R(DL), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM

maximum speed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM/ Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 24x US CD-RW, 8x DVD-R, 6x DVD-R (Double Layer), 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R, 6x DVD+R (Double Layer), 8x DVD+RW, 5x DVD-RAM

type : DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive
    Graphics Adapter

type : NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M with CUDA™ Technology

memory amount : 2,048 MB dedicated VRAM. Available graphics memory can be expanded using system memory, through TurboCache™ technology: up to 4,095 MB with 6 GB system memory intalled, (with pre-installed 64-bit operating system).

memory type : DDR3 Video RAM (resp. Video RAM and system memory combined)

connected bus : PCI Express®
    Internal Video Modes

The following internal video modes are supported:

resolution : 1,366 x 768
    Max. External Video Modes

max. resolution : 2,048 x 1,536

max. refresh rate : 100 Hz

non-interlaced resolution with max. refresh rate : 1,920 x 1,200

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Amira
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use that laptop on condition. But, as I and others have said many times before on videohelp, the one problem with laptops is that they only have one hard drive, which goes against the fundamental, essential, mandatory requirement for any NLE environment that there should at least be two hard drives on separate physical controllers: a system drive for the OS and programs, and the other for the captured and edited files. USB-connected hard-drives (even USBv3) ARE NOT eligible because a USB interface will control more than one device (or hard drive) and potentially at the very least slow your transfer speeds or downright wreck files being used by your NLE.
    All is not lost though; most current respectable laptops have an eSATA port, which has its own unique controller. If that Toshiba has one, then you can buy a separate external hard drive with an eSATA interface and this will fulfill the NLE requirement of two separate drives. Non-linear editing (NLE) is NOT a walk in the park, despite what vendors may want people to believe when watered-down stuff like Adobe Premiere Elements, Sony Vegas Movie Studio, or (gasp!) Nero in any of its forms are touted. As you will go the whole hog with Premiere Pro cs6, and make a documentary at that, best that you start on the right footing and get that eSATA external drive when you buy this Toshiba (if indeed this laptop has an eSATA port).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Those specs look good but my problem with laptops is they run hot when encoding, their monitor is also usually inferior to desktop monitors to display actual color/gamma/black level.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    maybe. check the actual cs6 specs list and that display may not be good enough. but i would never use a laptop for editing, my editing systems use 4 or more hard drives and useful gfx cards like the gtx570 and calibrated 1920x1080 monitors.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi. I'm in the same situation.

But I just saw this in the system requirments:
    1280x900 display

And, as Amira_S, my laptop is going to be 1,366 x 768.

Am i going to have any problem to run premiere pro cs6 like this?

Thank you
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you going "whole hog" too?
    Quote Quote