VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a DVD authored in Encore CS3 which requires double-layer DVD-9.

I want to create an ISO or VIDEO-TS folder set - doesn't matter to me which one - that's as user-friendly as possible for the end user to burn easily to a double layer disc.

To this end, would it best best to not create a layer break at all in Encore and let the recipients' burning software decide where to put the layer break? If so, then how do you do this in Encore - I can't see the option.

Whatever the method, my aim is to avoid bad layer transition issues for novice end users when they burn the disc.

Advice appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'd let ImgBurn decide the best point for a layer break....but even ImgBurn would have trouble if there are not enough chapters or titles/cells on the end result.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    I'd let ImgBurn decide the best point for a layer break....but even ImgBurn would have trouble if there are not enough chapters or titles/cells on the end result.
    Well there would be plenty of chapters points.

But it seems Encore insists on applying its own later break to its exported ISO or VIDEO-TS . How would Imgburn handle such an ISO/VIDEO-TS, do you know?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    With an ISO I believe ImgBurn will do whatever the ISO tells it to do. I've never seen ImgBurn throw up a layer break message on an image.
    Quote Quote  
  5. The same rules apply when buring a VIDEO_TS or an ISO (containing a VIDEO_TS folder). ImgBurn will still be looking for a suitable layer break location and prompt you to choose from a list (or complain if it can't find one).

There much more flexibility when dealing with just the VIDEO_TS folder, so the program is more likely to find something that can be used.

The cell Encore has flagged as 'non seamless' will no doubt be an option in ImgBurn's layer break selection window. The user could pick that if they want or just go with something else.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK! View Post
    The same rules apply when buring a VIDEO_TS or an ISO (containing a VIDEO_TS folder). ImgBurn will still be looking for a suitable layer break location and prompt you to choose from a list (or complain if it can't find one).

There much more flexibility when dealing with just the VIDEO_TS folder, so the program is more likely to find something that can be used.

The cell Encore has flagged as 'non seamless' will no doubt be an option in ImgBurn's layer break selection window. The user could pick that if they want or just go with something else.
    Right. So even though Encore puts a layer break in its export, Imgburn still has the ability to change the location of that layer break based on the list of layer transition options it gives you. Correct?

Thanks for the VIDEO_TS tip too. Good to know.

I noticed that Nero does the layer break on DVD-9's without any prompting at all. I assume this is a convenience feature in Nero, and that it does not do the task very well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You have a decent chance of having problems if you let other people do the burns.

Many people will just use Nero. Nero is rather infamous for DVD burning. At one time it was incapable of burning DVD-R DL discs correctly. I have no idea if this was ever fixed or not. Nero does something I think that is known as "IFO packing" that while technically allowed by the DVD spec, it completely and utterly defeats the entire purpose of having BUP files on the disc. BUP files are your emergency backups to IFO files to allow the disc to be playable if an IFO is corrupted. Nero makes sure that the IFO and BUPs are on the same sector so that a bad sector will kill them both. Got to love that.

Most people who burn this will buy crap media. Their attempts to burn crap media will often fail. They'll blame YOU for this. The best DL media on the planet is Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. If they must use DVD-R DL have them buy Verbatim or (if they can find it) Taiyo Yuden. EVERYTHING else is garbage. I'm quite serious - expect a lot of DL burns to just fail outright to DL discs not made by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. People don't like to believe that there are differences in quality of burnable media, but there are.

We recommend the use of the free ImgBurn for burning DL discs. It works. It can set the layer break at a logical place if necessary. The people who burn should burn DL discs at lower speeds than the fastest that the disc supports for best results. I recommend no faster than 4x. Trying to burn at 8x and above is asking for problems, especially with lower quality media.

Finally, you need to understand that some of your customers will likely have ancient DVD players they bought 8+ years ago that somehow still work. Some of those old players won't play their DL burns. Some may only like DVD+R DL. Some may only like DVD-R DL. Some may only play the first layer of the burn. A few may not play any DL disc at all. But guess who will blamed for this? Yep - you. If this is not a commercial project and it's not somebody's precious memories (ie. wedding video) you may be able to get by with just offering suggestions and if it doesn't work for someone, then it's not your problem. But if this is some kind of important video or a commercial project, you probably need to take care of burning it yourself or you'll wish you did after you start getting complaints.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks for the detailed response.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post

Most people who burn this will buy crap media. Their attempts to burn crap media will often fail. They'll blame YOU for this. The best DL media on the planet is Verbatim DVD+R DL discs. If they must use DVD-R DL have them buy Verbatim or (if they can find it) Taiyo Yuden. EVERYTHING else is garbage. I'm quite serious - expect a lot of DL burns to just fail outright to DL discs not made by Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. People don't like to believe that there are differences in quality of burnable media, but there are.
    Agree. I only use Verbatim DVD+R DL and I make that recommendation to others.

Finally, you need to understand that some of your customers will likely have ancient DVD players they bought 8+ years ago that somehow still work. Some of those old players won't play their DL burns. Some may only like DVD+R DL. Some may only like DVD-R DL. Some may only play the first layer of the burn. A few may not play any DL disc at all. But guess who will blamed for this? Yep - you. If this is not a commercial project and it's not somebody's precious memories (ie. wedding video) you may be able to get by with just offering suggestions and if it doesn't work for someone, then it's not your problem. But if this is some kind of important video or a commercial project, you probably need to take care of burning it yourself or you'll wish you did after you start getting complaints.
    No, its not a commercial project, so some simple tips, plus providing the Imgburn app, should be enough.

Was wondering if you agree with the suggestion earlier in this thread that a VIDEO-TS folder exported from Encore offers much more flexibility for Imgburn re. layer breaks than a double-layer ISO does?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Was wondering if you agree with the suggestion earlier in this thread that a VIDEO-TS folder exported from Encore offers much more flexibility for Imgburn re. layer breaks than a double-layer ISO does?
    That wasn't a suggestion, it was a fact.

When provided with a folder, ImgBurn can pad out the file system to make the cells align with where they need to be - on an ECC block (16 sector) boundary.

When provided with an ISO, that isn't possible. If a cell isn't already aligned on an ECC block (16 sector) boundary, it won't show up as a viable location for the layer break.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by LIGHTNING UK! View Post
    Was wondering if you agree with the suggestion earlier in this thread that a VIDEO-TS folder exported from Encore offers much more flexibility for Imgburn re. layer breaks than a double-layer ISO does?
    That wasn't a suggestion, it was a fact.

When provided with a folder, ImgBurn can pad out the file system to make the cells align with where they need to be - on an ECC block (16 sector) boundary.

When provided with an ISO, that isn't possible. If a cell isn't already aligned on an ECC block (16 sector) boundary, it won't show up as a viable location for the layer break.
    Thanks. A VIDEO_TS folder then it will be!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Before building the ISO/folders you can choose to manually apply a layer break.
    Encore will prompt you with the avaiable places for the layer break.
    Its recommended that you choose a chapter point as the layer break.
    Quote Quote